Dynamic Respec?

Uun

One of my pet peeves is the requirement to rebuild a character from scratch if you only want to replace one or two powers or move a few slots. Not sure if the system could support this, but it would be nice if you could do a respec that started with your current powers and slots with all enhancements in place. If you wanted to replace a power, you would move the slotted enhancements to the tray (or they would be deleted) and the slots would be moved to the unused slots pool. You could then replace the power with another available to you at whatever level you took the power and add back the slots as desired. Moving slots would work similarly, although there would be no level tracking required.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, Uun said:

One of my pet peeves is the requirement to rebuild a character from scratch if you only want to replace one or two powers or move a few slots. Not sure if the system could support this, but it would be nice if you could do a respec that started with your current powers and slots with all enhancements in place. If you wanted to replace a power, you would move the slotted enhancements to the tray (or they would be deleted) and the slots would be moved to the unused slots pool. You could then replace the power with another available to you at whatever level you took the power and add back the slots as desired. Moving slots would work similarly, although there would be no level tracking required.

I actually like this idea. It's like respecing with a Mids system, but only with access to  your toon's current abilities and enh in which to edit. You got my vote.

Edited by CU_Krow
  • Like 1

It was asked about several times on Live. Basically, it can't be done without completely redoing the respec system from scratch, and it was considered too much work for too little return to ever consider.

However, the people in charge here have done a lot of things already that used to fall into the same category, so maybe one day we'll see it happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roderick said:

It was asked about several times on Live. Basically, it can't be done without completely redoing the respec system from scratch, and it was considered too much work for too little return to ever consider.

However, the people in charge here have done a lot of things already that used to fall into the same category, so maybe one day we'll see it happen.

That was my recollection as well.  Ideally I'd like a respec system where you'd export your build to Mid's, make changes and then import the Mid's build into the game.  I know, that's a pie in the sky thought and likely way more work than it's worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 1 month later

Up vote

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

No! You want a respec, you have to *prove* you want it. You have to *bleed* for it, commit yourself to it, show ...

OK, kidding. I wouldn't mind. Honestly even having this limited to "one step back" sometimes would be nice. I wouldn't argue with more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Honestly with the work that @Cipher and crew are doing with the online build viewer that they want to be accessible from game that, if might be easier to implement something like a dynamic Respec in the form of moving a slot around if their project could potentially allow input from the player owning the character.

The idea of allowing it to import mids builds and could auto slot available enhancements based on the build would also be a really great QoL function.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

This is top on my wishlist. Personally I would rather this be done before any changes to any powers that would make me want to do a respec. The respec system was good enough before IOs I guess. But with IOs, it's simply terrible and a horrific user experience.

@MunkiLordI love thee greatly, with all mine being.

And in addition to said love, power changes/new powers would be preferred over respec system QOL change.  Repsec system is a 10-15 minute task once in a while, but new power changes/powersets, even AH mass-posting, or email mass-attaching would be preferred since those would be used much more frequently than respecs.

Edited by Obus Form
le grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

@MunkiLordI love thee greatly, with all mine being.

And in addition to said love, power changes/new powers would be preferred over respec system QOL change.  Repsec system is a 10-15 minute task once in a while, but new power changes/powersets, even AH mass-posting, or email mass-attaching would be preferred since those would be used much more frequently than respecs.

I suspect I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion, so this isn't something I feel HAS to be done or even should be a high priority. Just my preference and what I would personally like the most. 

Hell, I'd happily settle for not having to redo my power trays after a respec. 

deja vu

Yes, drop a power / pick a power would be great, saving power tray layout would great, drop a slot / add a slot (potentially more challenging).

These are quality of life items, not issues, but more important than needing a costume piece.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Obus Form said:

Repsec system is a 10-15 minute task once in a while

I wish it only took me 15 minutes. Selecting powers isn't bad, and the selecting of enhancement slots is fine, but having to slot each enhancement and resetting my power tray is brutal. Hopefully a dynamic respec will leave unaffected powers in their assigned power slot positions. 

• Like 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

I suspect I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion, so this isn't something I feel HAS to be done or even should be a high priority. Just my preference and what I would personally like the most. 

Hell, I'd happily settle for not having to redo my power trays after a respec. 

You are not, trust me you are not. You know how excited I was when I first saw the slash command for cleartray?

I don't know that I've ever spent less than 30 minutes respeccing, redoing power trays, and reslotting. Maybe at 10-20, but honestly not even then as I'm usually comparing ideas in Pine's while respeccing.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, subbacultchas said:

You are not, trust me you are not. You know how excited I was when I first saw the slash command for cleartray?

I don't know that I've ever spent less than 30 minutes respeccing, redoing power trays, and reslotting. Maybe at 10-20, but honestly not even then as I'm usually comparing ideas in Pine's while respeccing.

Respeccing a level 50 can be a huge PITA with all the Set IO's, tray configuration and whatnot.  I do always have the build finalized in Mid's before I start so I'm not deciding which way to go while I'm doing it.  The only problem is the new change to slot levels so you can now 6 slot your level 49 power... something Mid's still doesn't allow you to do.

After I have my build all mapped out it'll still take a good 20 minutes to do, and then I'll spend more time getting some new IO's.  This is why my characters don't tend to change their builds very often.

• Like 3

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 4 months later

I am all for this idea also. Alternatively, or additionally - I would love it to be possible to do partial respecs of the different "areas". Pool power respec, Epic/Patron power respec or full respec.
For now if I want to ditch Hover on a toon for CJ, going through the whole slog of a complete respec is enough for me to not be bothered. Otherwise I do the full respec and start thinking "Hmm, maybe if I just switch this to there...." and start a whole process of trying to fix what wasn't necessarily broken! 

On 2/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, Call Me Awesome said:

The only problem is the new change to slot levels so you can now 6 slot your level 49 power... something Mid's still doesn't allow you to do.

Mids doesn't "support it", but it is doable.

That said, if you make your build dynamically you can pickup all of your skills, then drag&drop the power from level 49 to level 2, 6 slot it, drag it back.
It'll end up greying out the "invalid" slots, but it'll still count all of the bonuses they give. 

I agree though, the respec system could use an upgrade. I typically do 4-5 revisions of a build before respecing it because of the pain of the whole process. I've had a new build planned for my main for nearly 3 months now and still haven't done it.

• 4 weeks later
On 8/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, Darkneblade said:

bumping because it is friday.

Cannot wait to see how wild you'll get on Saturday.

But yeah, bump, I'd love it if people could ever swing this for us.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝