Making a Tanker for the upcoming patch

Seigmoraig

Immediately it will be the one you already have, no need to reroll.  From what I understand it'll benefit AOE the most however.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Aoe and cone heavy sets would appear to have the most to gain. However, last I read Titan Weapons was largely unaffected, so not that set. To me, claws becomes interesting due to Spin, eviscerated, and Shockwave. Spines, fire, ice, and staff can also leverage the changes pretty well. Old classics like broad sword, axe, and mace will also have new life. 

On the flip side, sets like dark Melee, martial arts, and steet fighting would seem to benefit less from the aoe changes but will still benefit from the base damage increase

55 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Immediately it will be the one you already have, no need to reroll.  From what I understand it'll benefit AOE the most however.

The only Tanker I have already is a Bio/Spines around level 40 which I shelved because I didn't particularly enjoy playing Spines.

14 minutes ago, KelvinKole said:

o me, claws becomes interesting due to Spin, eviscerated, and Shockwave. Spines, fire, ice, and staff can also leverage the changes pretty well. Old classics like broad sword, axe, and mace will also have new life. 

I recently rolled an Ice/Ice Tanker and am also thinking about making a /War mace since I really enjoyed that set when I played War Mace/Willpower brute a few months back. I haven't thought about Claws, but I will definitely look at it. Thanks

I think Dark Melee will benefit more than it looks like at a surface glance. The set has always been odd and i run it a lot on Tanks and Brutes

if the cone becomes more reliable to bit multiple targets with.  Well nothing wrong there. But it is the PBAoE in the End recovery and Buff power where i believe the true benefits will be.  Larger patches mean those powers will be way more useful. End recovery moderately so, being easier to maximize, but the Buff?  I am guessing that could be the treasure here. Hitting more targets and getting more reliable large buffs

• Like 1

Thirding Claws. Spin is fantastic to start with. With a 12 feet radius rather than 8', a 16 target cap rather than 10, and increased Tanker damage, Claws Tankers will be AoE blenders.

Not having to use the T1 for Bruising is also a relief for Claws.

I've decided to do bio armor with mine. Ive played it already on a spines/bio scrapper, and it's a great offensive set. I wasn't sure I wanted to make another character with it, but ultimately I was too curious how durable I could get it to be on a tank while still being in offensive adaptation. 

Dark Melee benefits a whole lot from larger AoEs.  And ir already is the tankiest of the tanker sets, adding survivability to any primary with its reliable self-heal and constant -tohit debuffs.  It works best with primaries that lack a self-heal (Shield, WP) or slow self-heals (Invuln) but it benefits every primary.   Whether it benefits defense sets most or resistance is a perennial debate.  If Willpower's taunt aura is normalized that would make an excellent pairing.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 1/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, KelvinKole said:

Aoe and cone heavy sets would appear to have the most to gain. However, last I read Titan Weapons was largely unaffected, so not that set. To me, claws becomes interesting due to Spin, eviscerated, and Shockwave. Spines, fire, ice, and staff can also leverage the changes pretty well. Old classics like broad sword, axe, and mace will also have new life. 

On the flip side, sets like dark Melee, martial arts, and steet fighting would seem to benefit less from the aoe changes but will still benefit from the base damage increase

I have tanks with all your "leverage pretty well" secondaries already. No claws tho, so I may be hopping on that bandwagon with everyone else apparently! I struggle hard with ST-focused sets.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

On 1/22/2020 at 7:51 AM, Snarky said:

I think Dark Melee will benefit more than it looks like at a surface glance. The set has always been odd and i run it a lot on Tanks and Brutes

if the cone becomes more reliable to bit multiple targets with.  Well nothing wrong there. But it is the PBAoE in the End recovery and Buff power where i believe the true benefits will be.  Larger patches mean those powers will be way more useful. End recovery moderately so, being easier to maximize, but the Buff?  I am guessing that could be the treasure here. Hitting more targets and getting more reliable large buffs

Was thinking the same.  Shadow maul, despite the complaints about it, is very much worth using, as long as you can hit at least 2 targets with it.  This should make it super easy to do so.  Soul drain having a bigger radius is a pretty huge buff and damage buffs themselves are now better with the higher base damage. 

Still won't be an AoE monster, but much more tolerable (and you of course can always pick up a couple of AoE attacks from epic pools and then have those now buffed with a larger easier to use soul drain).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Was thinking the same.  Shadow maul, despite the complaints about it, is very much worth using, as long as you can hit at least 2 targets with it.  This should make it super easy to do so.  Soul drain having a bigger radius is a pretty huge buff and damage buffs themselves are now better with the higher base damage. 

Still won't be an AoE monster, but much more tolerable (and you of course can always pick up a couple of AoE attacks from epic pools and then have those now buffed with a larger easier to use soul drain).

With a bit of global recharge or Hasten, it isn't all that implausible to just use Soul Drain and Dark Consumption as reg'lar attacks.  Heraclea doesn't run Hasten and finds them up reasonably often,  And adding targets improves the buff you get from Soul Drain also. 

I just made a new TB tanker, Impetua, Willpower/Mace.  Curious to see what bigger AoEs do for Willpower. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

43 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I just made a new TB tanker, Impetua, Willpower/Mace.  Curious to see what bigger AoEs do for Willpower. 

That as what I was playing on my brute that made me want to continue with /Mace. Only reason I went Invul/ and not WP/ was to try a set I had not rolled before

Even though Combustion is not a great ability on it's own, with the radius and target cap increase on it, breath of fire, and fire sword circle, I'm starting to think a Fire/Fire tank will be a really good AE farmer to play with. 

Besides that, maybe a WP/Fire for general playing would be fun. 

I like AOE! 

15 minutes ago, Neogumbercules said:

Even though Combustion is not a great ability on it's own, with the radius and target cap increase on it, breath of fire, and fire sword circle, I'm starting to think a Fire/Fire tank will be a really good AE farmer to play with. 

So many things to try !!
So what is the deal with Combustion ? I have not played /Fire so I am not familiar with the power. Judging from the Patch Notes /Fire looks like it got a pretty sweet deal

Edited by Seigmoraig

5 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

So many things to try !!
So what is the deal with Combustion ? I have not played /Fire so I am not familiar with the power. Judging from the Patch Notes /Fire looks like it got a pretty sweet deal

It's got a slow activation time and the DoT isn't great when you just want things to die. Usually you have better abilities to cast for the animation time. However, since an AE farmer is fighting +4s, the DoT is just another layer of DoTs in a sea of DoTs so I think it's at least worth a try. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:55 PM, Riverdusk said:

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA! 

With the bugged prestige enhancement chance of knockdown proccing 100%, it's super fun just Ora Ora ora'ing 5+ foes. I kind of wish shadow Maul also had a native chance to KD. Seems fitting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1