Jump to content
gameboy1234

Jack Emmert to head Dimensional Ink Sudio, DC Universe Online

Recommended Posts

Jack Emmert had an amazing ability of alienating almost all of his player base.
 

He made a lot of mistakes, which were compounded by not listening to ( or caring about) any feedback.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 12:31 PM, krj12 said:

Jack Emmert had an amazing ability of alienating almost all of his player base.
 

He made a lot of mistakes, which were compounded by not listening to ( or caring about) any feedback.

Jack Emmert:  The players will love what we're doing with the Global Defense Nerf and Enhancement Dysfunction.

 

MORE THAN 90% OF THE FEEDBACK TO THE CHANGES ARE NEGATIVE

THE FORUMS MELTDOWN UNDER THE TSUNAMI OF NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

THE FORUMS HAVE TO BE SHUTDOWN FOR 3 DAYS TO RECOVER FROM THE CRASH BROUGHT ON BY ALL THE NEGATIVE RESPONSES

 

Jack Emmert:  So we'll be pushing those changes LIVE during the next patch.

 

FORUMS COLLECTIVELY LOSE THEIR MINDS ... AGAIN

JACK EMMERT STEADFASTLY REFUSES TO LISTEN

 

 

 

Yeah ... I remember ...

Edited by Redlynne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I remember what the double whammy of GDN and ED did to my Inv/SS tanker. 

 

I could no longer fully slot out my primary powers. 

Their response:  "Slot them with different types"

Users:   Resist and Defense powers only take one type.

Them:  .....

 

Couple that with my attacks, which already hit like a wet noodle fully slotted with reds .... now hit like whatever hits less than a wet noodle.

I quit for over a year after that fiasco.  Never did really get back into my tanker, even with IO sets.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:35 PM, NNDeepdish said:

Did anyone ever play Planetside 1? So ahead of it's time IMO. 

 

Planetside 2 just was.... different... i don't know what was missing.

Totally loved Planetside 1, but hated 2. Totally different games.


Vigilantes (Incarnates) on Reunion:

Fire/Time Corruptor, Plant/Dark Controller, Arachnos Soldier Dual Build, Melee Fortunata, WM/Bio Scrapper, Ill/Dark Controller, Stj/SR Stalker, Water/Cold Corruptor, DP/Traps Corruptor, Beam/EA Sentinel, Rad/Fiery Brute (Farmer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 3:43 AM, Haijinx said:

DCUO was a nice, short, free single player game. 

 

I never found a team.  Reached max level.  And then uninstalled it since I was out of content.

 

Not sure there's anything anyone could do to fix it or wreck it at this point.

 

Not a fan of DCUO either but it's the toally opposite of CoH. The game starts when you reached max Level, if you were out of Content upon hitting max Level you did something wrong.


Vigilantes (Incarnates) on Reunion:

Fire/Time Corruptor, Plant/Dark Controller, Arachnos Soldier Dual Build, Melee Fortunata, WM/Bio Scrapper, Ill/Dark Controller, Stj/SR Stalker, Water/Cold Corruptor, DP/Traps Corruptor, Beam/EA Sentinel, Rad/Fiery Brute (Farmer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, MunkiLord said:

I love these threads. All the bitterness amuses me, thanks for the laugh. 

 

I got no bitterness toward Jack. Sometimes he amused me but I usually found his definitions of "fun" to be well outside my experience.

  • Like 1

Harm no other and do as ye will. It ain't rocket surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ED and GDN were necessary though. For the same reason why people have to keep writing new ways to weaken Superman (Green K, Magic, Mind control, his loved ones). Because, when you have someone SO super powered that they are nearly unstoppable - where's the drama? Where's the challenge? Where's the underdog that we want to see triumph over evil?

 

Sometimes we have to bring our heroes down, because challenge is what makes things... interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

ED and GDN were necessary though. For the same reason why people have to keep writing new ways to weaken Superman (Green K, Magic, Mind control, his loved ones). Because, when you have someone SO super powered that they are nearly unstoppable - where's the drama? Where's the challenge? Where's the underdog that we want to see triumph over evil?

 

Sometimes we have to bring our heroes down, because challenge is what makes things... interesting.

 

I don't disagree. Not a bit. My question is, thanks to incarnates, ALL of my characters are pretty damn OPAF. Even the ones that absolutely should not be. What do we do about that now? I mean, I can always run TFs with random debuffs and choose to hamstring myself... but why would I do that when I can be an untouchable god?


Harm no other and do as ye will. It ain't rocket surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

 

I don't disagree. Not a bit. My question is, thanks to incarnates, ALL of my characters are pretty damn OPAF. Even the ones that absolutely should not be. What do we do about that now? I mean, I can always run TFs with random debuffs and choose to hamstring myself... but why would I do that when I can be an untouchable god?

Honestly? I think the solution is EXACTLY what they did to Superman. Incarnates need a Kryptonite. Just as Kheldians have the Nictus and Quantum dudes that can do massive damage and show up randomly, I think each Incarnate power chosen above a certain Tier should cause some sort of weakness to appear in missions, or on the map if the user is out in the world. We need an army of anti-Incarnate enemies and effects to keep things interesting and challenging. At least, that's what I would do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was supposed to be the point of incarnates. There's a whole mission where you are an untouchable god to show you what you will one day become once you go down the path. If you still want to be weak to things, then why go down the path at all? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 2:15 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I'm not sure if he's a plus or minus for an MMO.  From the opinions and attitudes he posted on the old forums I think COH was successful in spite of him, not because of him.

He was awful.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Honestly? I think the solution is EXACTLY what they did to Superman. Incarnates need a Kryptonite. Just as Kheldians have the Nictus and Quantum dudes that can do massive damage and show up randomly, I think each Incarnate power chosen above a certain Tier should cause some sort of weakness to appear in missions, or on the map if the user is out in the world. We need an army of anti-Incarnate enemies and effects to keep things interesting and challenging. At least, that's what I would do.

They were already beginning to introduce stronger enemies via incarnate content anyway, so I'm sure this is the direction they would have gone had the game not been shut down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with a lot of the things he said/did regarding the game, but make no mistake - Jack is bright, and industrious - the man gets things done. They don't hand out those CEO titles to people unless they're generally the smartest people in the room - that also work harder than anyone around them. You may not like him, but you should still respect him. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I don't agree with a lot of the things he said/did regarding the game, but make no mistake - Jack is bright, and industrious - the man gets things done. They don't hand out those CEO titles to people unless they're generally the smartest people in the room - that also work harder than anyone around them. You may not like him, but you should still respect him. 

This is not always true. I know plenty of people who managed to "fail up" for a large part of their careers. This guy probably the most obvious case of that. And I am not saying he does not work very hard and have a deep and lasting impact in the companies where he works. I am saying that his doing that, to my knowledge, has never been a good thing.

 

I don't know of any innovation or positive effect he has had on anything I enjoyed. I think CoH would have been a vastly different and far better game if he had never been involved in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Never interrupt an enemy while he's making a mistake" N. Bonaparte

 

Count me in the holding a grudge group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

This is not always true. I know plenty of people who managed to "fail up" for a large part of their careers. This guy probably the most obvious case of that. And I am not saying he does not work very hard and have a deep and lasting impact in the companies where he works. I am saying that his doing that, to my knowledge, has never been a good thing.

 

I don't know of any innovation or positive effect he has had on anything I enjoyed. I think CoH would have been a vastly different and far better game if he had never been involved in it.

He may have been effective in actually getting things done.  Unfortunately I think he should have stuck to running the company instead of sticking his oar into the development.  Ultimately I think COH was at it's best after he'd been shown the door.

 

He had his vision and whenever players didn't follow along with his vision he took it as a personal insult.  Remember when he thought everyone would use multiple different enhancements in a power and was astonished that they'd maximize it's effectiveness instead?  He tended to swing the nerf bat HARD.  And then swing it again.  And again.  Then promise no more nerfs.  Then the very next issue hit us with ED, the biggest nerf in the game's history.  Then he made a snarky comment that it wasn't nerfing powers, it simply nerfed enhancements.  Frankly I don't know of any player who wasn't thrilled when he left and Positron took over the top job.


Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, krj12 said:

Couple that with my attacks, which already hit like a wet noodle fully slotted with reds .... now hit like whatever hits less than a wet noodle.


A wet noodle that's actually too short to reach your target, so the worst it can do is flick moisture on it...

  • Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack probably should have stayed at head writer or world builder, whatever title that may be. ED and the Global Defense Nerf were necessary, though they ideally should have happened in early beta so people wouldn't miss what they never had.  I always thought the levels we got enhancements was odd. Like SO's shouldn't have been available till like 35. It probably should have been TO's till 20ish, Do's till 40ish, SO's after that. That would probably have made the game more in line with what they originally intended.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 2:00 PM, gameboy1234 said:

I found this on Polygon:  https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/21/21069503/daybreak-games-everquest-planetside-dc-universe-online-h1z1-new-studios

 

 

And there's more, but that was the interesting bit for CoXers.

 

Dunno what to make of this.  I was surprised to see Jack Emmert still working in the MMO industry, I thought he had retired or went off to try different things.  Didn't know he was with Daybreak/EQ, for some reason that had dropped completely off my radar.

 

I quit DCUO the very second that it was announced that Jack Emmert was going to have anything to do with the game back a few years ago. I have not looked back since then and will never play any game that Jack pollutes ever again. Reminds me of this video that was made when it was learned that Jack Emmert was entering DCUO.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCUO could've been great.

Sadly it was just a great disappointment.

 

And that from someone who grew up with the DCAU

 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a DC Comics fanboy since I was a wee lad, so I wanted to really like DC Universe Online very badly.  I even bought a lifetime subscription the day the game released.  Sadly, I just couldn't get into it.  It was obvious from the start that it was a bad console port, and from what I've read it's still a bad console port nine years later.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like DCUO -- except for its bland animations, bland effects, awkward movements, boring missions, hit delays, out of sync damage, grinds to even get to do content... 

 

okay maybe I don't like DCUO. But I don't hate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, Redlynne said:

Since then I've never really felt any need to "pile on" Jack Emmert.  His own former colleagues did worse to him (and his creations) than I ever could, by writing his contributions out of the game he made(!) and which we're all still enjoying (despite him).  That's enough "revenge" for me.  More is not needed.

 

NC$oft will NEVER be forgiven though ... 🔥

I have never played Who Will Die in its entirety and really am not interested.  A story referencing the tiredest trope from post-Silver Age comics just doesn't interest me at all.  Especially when it's apparently shot through with the goofy mechanics that were suddenly trowelled on in the post-Incarnate game and that never fit well with the game they were grafted on to.  In my head canon Statesmen the character is still the hero's hero and head of the Freedom Phalanx.  People still refer to the high level task force in Independence Port as 'Statesman TF' daily.  If I were developing new HC content I'd finagle a way to bring him back in-game. 

 

The game's biggest problem has ever been the several attempts that have been made to shoehorn it into the mold of other generic MMOs, rather than recognize its greatness as a superhero/villain construction set.  This unfortunately did not stop with Emmert's departure.   Endgame raiding and PvP are sidelines; character creation, base building, and AE are the core. 


QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...