Jack Emmert to head Dimensional Ink Sudio, DC Universe Online

gameboy1234

2 hours ago, FrauleinMental said:

I tried really hard to like DCUO.  I even tried to remake my main.  I just couldn't get used to the UI.

550223996_FMClassic(Metropolis).thumb.jpg.cefbb3bc3c87a78abcfe4face29a428d.jpg

I tried to get into it myself.   The levelling game was enjoyable, but after that it turned into a tedious gear grind, and most new content was gear-gated. 

FWIW the DCUO version of Heraclea is one of the several here. 

spacer.png

• Like 4
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

27 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

People still refer to the high level task force in Independence Port as 'Statesman TF' daily.  If I were developing new HC content I'd finagle a way to bring him back in-game. 

I also have to keep reminding myself that it's the MLTF.  And my favorite memory of the TF (Confusing Ghost Widow) was when it was still called the Statesman TF.

5 hours ago, FrauleinMental said:

I also have to keep reminding myself that it's the MLTF.  And my favorite memory of the TF (Confusing Ghost Widow) was when it was still called the Statesman TF.

I prefer STF because when I see MLTF, my mind's eye corrects that to MILF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Just for the record, killing Stateman in WWD was not Posi and crew extending a middle finger to Emmert. I specifically asked Miller that during one of the Loregasms.

Personally I think Emmert is a great storyteller, but he has a very poor grasp of what people actually want. Like at launch, SR/Elude made you unable to attack for 45 seconds, and Empathy/Adrenaline Boost stunned the caster for 20 seconds. Who would possibly enjoy that?

Edited by Kyksie
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, Kyksie said:

Just for the record, killing Stateman in WWD was not Posi and crew extending a middle finger to Emmert. I specifically asked Miller that during one of the Loregasms.

Personally I think Emmert is a great storyteller, but he has a very poor grasp of what people actually want. Like at launch, SR/Elude made you unable to attack for 45 seconds, and Empathy/Adrenaline Boost stunned the caster for 20 seconds. Who would possibly enjoy that?

The problem with that theory is that he'd be an idiot to ADMIT that was the reason, it would just reflect on him being petty.  On the other hand I'm sure the thought DID cross their minds when coming up with the story.  The reason for it?  No, unless they really were that petty.  An unconscious factor in their thinking?  Very likely.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later
On 8/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, Kyksie said:

That's because Jack Emmert never bothered to take into consideration of what the players were asking for on the forums. He completely ignored the player base. I simply don't like the guy...at all...not even a little.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ura Hero said:

Seems like a remember a short lived post on the Live forums where Jack said; "I don't care what the players think.  This is MY game."

BrtEvGrCUAAmt7S.jpg

I understand what he was TRYING to say. 

A game developer that bows to the whims of every player with enough passion and the cojones to speak up is not the one you want in charge of a game.  Sure, some of the ideas will be fine.  Others...won't be.

Note: This is not to say NEVER listen to your player base.  Because you can miss really good ideas to improve your game.

In the end, it's a balancing act.

Jack just chose the most tact-free way of communicating that.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 8/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Hyperstrike said:

I understand what he was TRYING to say. 

A game developer that bows to the whims of every player with enough passion and the cojones to speak up is not the one you want in charge of a game.  Sure, some of the ideas will be fine.  Others...won't be.

Note: This is not to say NEVER listen to your player base.  Because you can miss really good ideas to improve your game.

In the end, it's a balancing act.

Jack just chose the most tact-free way of communicating that.

Jack desperately needed some filters. With that said I hold no ill will. I just won't go near anything he's involved with.

• 4 weeks later
1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

My problem with the old devs in general was that they thought their way was right, our way was wrong and couldn't be done anyway.

Yet here we are years later with a volunteer, amateur, part time dev team doing way they said couldn't be done.

There is a big difference in balancing a for profit game and being able to go free for all when you don't have to pay bills and you don't have a parent company to satisfy.

FYI, the Homecoming Devs are not amateurs.  A good portion do game development as their main job.

• Like 1