"You've spent a total of 1343 hours on patrol."

VileTerror

• 5 months later

Okay I think maybe what @Greycat said is true.  Some of my toons have hours that sound about right but my actual main recreated from live and power levelled a good amount but his hours show as 8420.  That would be 350+ total 24 hour days.  That can't be right can it?  

So then I thought, what if SOMEHOW that number was inflated because somehow some way something carried over from live in some table that no one thinks about and I used the exact same AT, name, etc?  Then I realized that is VERY unlikely and while I not having dove into the server tables much yet I'd be willing to bet that primary keys are unlikely tied directly to the name in any way that could have been carried over.  So I checked my villain main that I recreated from live under the same circumstances and his hours are sitting at 28, which makes perfect sense because I fully p/l'd him to 50 then slotted him up and parked him.

So, am I doing this right?  In Atlas Park I find any NPC who's name begins with 'M' and click and they respond with "You have spent a total of x hours on patrol" Note the word patrol instead of prowl - which seems like it would just be different wording for each alignment (patrol vs prowl).

So I think maybe there is something wonky at work here.  Doesn't seem like a carry over from live though (thank goodness).  Have I gone full retard here or is something amiss?

Maximu_Power_hours.png.052ccccb81e586527faefd573949de66.png

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Confused 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Yeah I don't have a clue. I know I have seen one before where it felt inflated too. As for mine, I am inclined to think it can't be inflated THAT much because there's been a lot of AFK action powerleveling dozens of alts and 1,000 vet levels on that one. But yeah, I know I've checked once on a newish character and been told I already had like over a hundred hours or something that felt very wrong.

• Thanks 1

Okay - Another wild idea (this is a carry over from my troubleshooter/QA days.  my mind subconsciously works on these things, lol)...

Could the 'Primary' Account be getting total hours from ALL toons on the account?  Or something like that?  THOSE hours would make sense to me.  Just not for the one toon...

Thoughts?

Edited to add:  Got talked into going horseback riding with my niece and her boyfriend (visiting from back east) so will run a couple quick 'tests' for my theory later tonight.

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

8 hours ago, KauaiJim said:

Could the 'Primary' Account be getting total hours from ALL toons on the account?  Or something like that?  THOSE hours would make sense to me.  Just not for the one toon...

Thoughts?

When it happened to me, it was not my primary character (back on live,) and hasn't affected (noticably) characters here for me.  And also wouldn't have had the numbers I'd seen (at the time I noticed it, back on live, I'd been playing for *years,* and for hours pretty much daily.)

Someone had an explanation back in the day about being in TF or AE mode or something, I don't recall what it was. I think @Kyksie is remembering something similar.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Yeah I think that makes sense as a possible cause. Seems to me I took him to an AE farm just to see how he would do (decent actually). Anyhow after a few groups I stopped and exited the mission and forgot to quit or finish it. That could potentially explain it. I just knew those hours were a mile off. Thanks all. 👍

There's definitely something glitchy with the calculation. I checked it on one of my many alts - one that was still under level 30 - and it said she had something like 8217 hours, which works out to 342 days of play time. Not possible.

On a related note, a few years ago I added up the total play time of all of my WoW characters, and at that time it added up to my spending around 25% of my time playing WoW, from the time I first subscribed until the day I made the calculation - it was something like 2 years of total playtime over a span of 8 years. And that span of time included the six months in 2012 I did not play at all because I was playing CoH (those six months ended with the sunset of CoH, and I went back to WoW). My only excuse for spending that much time is that many of those hours were due to the fact that my job, during the whole of my WoW career, was very seasonal, and during the slow periods I pretty much played WoW from the time I woke up until I got tired and went to bed. So I was racking up 15-16 hours a day during those times. Hey, with work being slow, it was a lot of entertainment for $15/month.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I think this is a very cool feature/aspect of the game.  I just wish it was accurate so it could be a beneficial tool for people instead of a random number we all wonder how accurate it is...  For that matter HC devs -   make the J and K count for something again.  This is a great idea that could be expanded upon.   Just my thoughts...👍

Edited by KauaiJim