Task Force etiquette

Snarky

Most TF's I've run the leader will ask about desired difficulty, and depending on level typically it ends up +1 for the first mission and if we're handling it easily it gets bumped to +2 for the rest of the TF.  If it's a team of all 50's then likely we'll go to +2 from the start.

I do think Synapse should be run at base level, it's long and boring enough without taking the added time killing higher level mobs.  That's the "big 6" TF that's most in need of a rewrite.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Many of the reasons I choose not to typically team in MMOs are all in this thread...

People who assume the other players are like them, poeple who assume that having the star means anything, people who assume I have signed some blood-oath by accepting to be in a TF.

It's just a game, full stop.

It's my free time, that I will spend how I like, full stop.

No one is under any obligation here, full stop.

If I am not having fun, I drop team/log out/change characters and get on with my life and I expect the same from all other players.

The levels of drama attained by players on a TF or even just a team that think it's some sacred oath being taken to join, or that having the star has any real meaning other than being nice enough to take the time to build the team, are just hillarious to me.

Whatever happened to just relaxing and killing a few pixels?

Why does it have to be so serious?

What on erath makes anyone think they can and should be dicktaing to others?

It's not a job.

• Haha 1

Let's not get carried away here.  I think most people are coming here complaining about that one bad TF they had that one time.  I run 4-5+ TFs a day.  In my experience, this stuff happens just shy of never.  Sometimes people accidently start on +4 and we either handle it or start over.  It's not a big deal unless you turn it into one.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

9 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Let's not get carried away here.  I think most people are coming here complaining about that one bad TF they had that one time.  I run 4-5+ TFs a day.  In my experience, this stuff happens just shy of never.  Sometimes people accidently start on +4 and we either handle it or start over.  It's not a big deal unless you turn it into one.

I simply subscribe to the idea that if it bothered someone enough to make a thread about it, then the intent is 'to turn it into one'.

Seen these posts for years and years in all MMOs as I am sure others have.

Mostly, I just like to yell loudly that no one should feel even a tiny amount of guilt for having taking charge of thier free time and dropping out of bad teams.

No one should be held by peer-pressure-guilt to do anything in the game

No one should be allowed to boss around other players.

Any hint of that BS, regardless of how pervasive, IMO, should met with 'the fire and fury of a million suns' as it were.

I have seen to many 'nice people' in this game and others get shafted by the dicktators.

I totally agree in this current incarnation that has happend less than on Live, but the dicktators still play, and should not be rewarded, IMO.

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling, gramers
  • Thanks 2

I really hate to join a pug tf and find that it's set at +4/x8 (or even at +2, etc.).  I think it's great for people who like to slog through Posi or Synapse at those settings, but it is not my idea of fun or a good use of my time.  Mostly, though, on Excelsior at least, team leaders do advertise what they are running at and also whether it will be a speed or kill/all/most tf.  This is important information because you couldn't pay me enough money to join at "speed" tf (when almost all the missions are kill all, anyway) set at +4/x8.  That said, I'm sure you couldn't pay other players to NOT run that way.  It's all good.  What is not good is not letting people know what you are doing when you advertise for a tf.  Joining a tf does not put me at the mercy of lunatics, and I will not spend four hours running a two hour tf because someone thinks it's a good idea to run it at +4/x8 and the team spends more time team wiped and in the hosp than in the missions.  If that's your thing, you're welcome to it, but don't expect me or anyone else to stay if you haven't made clear what kind of tf you are running.

And no, a tf set at +0 is definitely not a speed run.  Speed runs may indeed be set that low (though this seems rare?), but they tend to include just meeting mission objectives as quickly as possible, including ghosting, team splitting to achieve mission objectives more quickly, ignoring all ambushes, most members with TT or some form of TP, and the like.  I will join them for the weeklies sometimes, but since I know what I am getting into, that's on me.  😛

[Edit to add:  I have been on tfs that started out set "too low" for the team leader, and when the leader suggests "bumping" it up after "this mission," several of us chime in with please, no.  Let's just get this done, get the badge, the merits, the Notice, whatever, and move on with our lives.  Such leaders have always been receptive to the team's wishes, and we carry on and get the job done and move on to other fun stuff.]

Edited by Tahliah
addendum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

Many of the reasons I choose not to typically team in MMOs are all in this thread...

People who assume the other players are like them, poeple who assume that having the star means anything, people who assume I have signed some blood-oath by accepting to be in a TF.

It's just a game, full stop.

It's my free time, that I will spend how I like, full stop.

No one is under any obligation here, full stop.

If I am not having fun, I drop team/log out/change characters and get on with my life and I expect the same from all other players.

The levels of drama attained by players on a TF or even just a team that think it's some sacred oath being taken to join, or that having the star has any real meaning other than being nice enough to take the time to build the team, are just hillarious to me.

Whatever happened to just relaxing and killing a few pixels?

Why does it have to be so serious?

What on erath makes anyone think they can and should be dicktaing to others?

It's not a job.

Hyperbole.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly, if I could run Task/Strike Forces at -1, I would.  Hell, even at -3!  I'm not trying to do Speed Runs, but I find that with the absolute abundance of Experience Points from all sorts of other sources, there's no real benefit to dragging things out longer on a Task Force which is already a massive time commitment.  I don't want to spend two or three hours plugging away at it.  I want it over and done with so I can attend to Global Channel Moderation, or continuing GTell conversations, or doing some roleplay, or earning some Badges.  There's so much more that I'd rather be spending my time with than sitting in a locked team wasting time defeating every enemy in a non-Defeat All mission.

But as for the Etiquette of it all?  I really feel it would be most appropriate for the player who is organizing a team to expressly state their intentions for the team, but also to consider the express expectations of the team they've formed.  Negotiate and compromise, if necessary.

• Thanks 1

When I form a TF, if the end level is below level 50 I run it at +1.  Yes, even Positron and Synapse.  There's not much of a difference between +0 and +1, and with +1 you get more XP and INF for your time.  At level 50, I run everything at +2.

Only had an issue once where someone was not happy that I planned to run a Positron Part Two TF at +1 instead of +0.  That person quit right before we started, and we finished in about 35 minutes IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

When I form a TF, if the end level is below level 50 I run it at +1.  Yes, even Positron and Synapse.  There's not much of a difference between +0 and +1, and with +1 you get more XP and INF for your time.  At level 50, I run everything at +2.

Only had an issue once where someone was not happy that I planned to run a Positron Part Two TF at +1 instead of +0.  That person quit right before we started, and we finished in about 35 minutes IIRC.

I don't think I'd even notice a +1, so I wouldn't have an issue with this at all.  And oddly, I do like to run lvl 50 tfs higher, starting at +1/2 for pugs, for instance, but typically +3/4 for the team I usually run with.  I think the pug factor changes things significantly, as does the level of the tf.  If we all have like two actual attacks (not including vet powers we pick up from P2W), then it just seems nuts to crank it up past +0/1.  Just my two inf.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Isn’t this the hyperbolic chamber?  Orchestra?

You're thinking about hyperbolic time chamber. Completely different thing.

• Haha 1

The lesson here is basically...communication is key. Before you join mention that you're just trying to get the badge/merits and want it does as fast as possible. Now on taskforces like Synapse EVERYONE usually wants it done ASAP, the same with Dr Q or Citadel. The thing is those taskforces are incredibly boring so of course people want to get them over with ASAP. If you ask and the team leader says that they're going to see how it goes and increase the difficulty for XP gains, mention that you'd really not and if they insist, bow out.

Now something like a Yin TF which can be completed in about 30 minutes, the Team Leader might set it higher because A) it's short and B) it's 90% Freakshow, which are great for XP gain. If you need the badge there is the option to run it solo on base settings through Oro as the Sister P TF, it even drops the AV down to an EB if you have it set to +0/x1. It might take you a touch longer (it actually won't...there's a thread on the guide section which outlines it taking about 30-45 minutes if you know what to do and what to skip) but you haven't got any other people to worry about.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

The lesson here is basically...communication is key. Before you join mention that you're just trying to get the badge/merits and want it does as fast as possible.

Ugh, if comes down to a major Q&A who will ever join a pug tf?  Best for the team leader to announce the plan (+4 or whatever, speed, kill all/most) and leave it.  If I have to pass out a check list to team leaders upon joining their team, not only will I never be asked to join them again, but I would hate me.  Advertise what you're doing and be done with it.  Anyone who joins knows the score and is happy with it.  How hard is that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Ugh, if comes down to a major Q&A who will ever join a pug tf?  Best for the team leader to announce the plan (+4 or whatever, speed, kill all/most) and leave it.  If I have to pass out a check list to team leaders upon joining their team, not only will I never be asked to join them again, but I would hate me.  Advertise what you're doing and be done with it.  Anyone who joins knows the score and is happy with it.  How hard is that?

That would be part of the communication is key thing yes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DR_Mechano said:

I guess I just don't think it should be a two-way street unless the team leader specifically asks about "bumping" the diff.  If you're running a tf, let it be known what you are doing, don't depend on me to join and then ask about the diff level or approach.  It's YOUR team, you're the leader.  If you don't know what you're doing or what is important for other team members to know, don't start a tf team.  No member should have to join a tf and then interrogate the team leader about their plans; it should be known up front. Period.

• Thanks 1

Just now, VileTerror said:

Also, unless something has changed, Task Force Archvillains are always Archvillains, even if you try to solo with with the Elite Boss setting enabled.

There are some minor exceptions, Clamor in the Sister P TF (not the Yin TF) will downgrade to an elite boss if you're on +0/x1 settings, I think there's a few others like the various Mender Taskforces but they're sort of meant to be run solo.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

1 minute ago, Tahliah said:

I guess I just don't think it should be a two-way street unless the team leader specifically asks about "bumping" the diff.  If you're running a tf, let it be known what you are doing, don't depend on me to join and then ask about the diff level or approach.  It's YOUR team, you're the leader.  If you don't know what you're doing or what is important for other team members to know, don't start a tf team.  No member should have to join a tf and then interrogate the team leader about their plans; it should be known up front. Period.

Case in point.  I occasionally see LFGs for a low-level TFC tf that requires people "apply" with their AT, power selections, etc.  It's absurd on its face (how pathetic do you need to be to join these control freak elitists?), but people do join.  But here's the thing, I respect those team leaders far more than I do those who withhold key information (this is a speed run, this is a +4/x8 run of Posi).  Communication is key, but when you're in LFG starting a tf, the communication onus is on you as team leader.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Case in point.  I occasionally see LFGs for a low-level TFC tf that requires people "apply" with their AT, power selections, etc.  It's absurd on its face (how pathetic do you need to be to join these control freak elitists?), but people do join.  But here's the thing, I respect those team leaders far more than I do those who withhold key information (this is a speed run, this is a +4/x8 run of Posi).  Communication is key, but when you're in LFG starting a tf, the communication onus is on you as team leader.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the communication should run both ways. Communication for BOTH sides is key.

CUCUMBER!

. . . sorry.  This isn't a Word Association thread.  

Ahem!  WELL!
Generally, all forms of etiquette are communication, when you boil it down, right?  So, yeah.  Talk it out, and sure; the player organizing the team should take the brunt of the responsibility, but I think players should also be prepared to ask questions if anything is unclear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VileTerror said:

Also, unless something has changed, Task Force Archvillains are always Archvillains, even if you try to solo with with the Elite Boss setting enabled.

The original Posi Tf thru ouros will downgrade to EB also and award 66 merits.

Edited by RCU7115
  • Thanks 1