Bubbler Question re KB>KD - is it worth it?

Umbral Shift

Was thinking of slotting Repulsion Field and Repulsion Bomb with KB>KD.....anyone with experience doing this? Is it worth it? I know Repulsion Field is a great positioning power - its just I'm not getting to use it as such on higher level teams. Was wondering if slotting for KB>KD might be more fun/effective etc. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Repulsion Field can be worth it. It will drain your endurance very quickly though. A better use for Repulsion Field is to take it on a Controller who has an immobilize with knockback resistance. Then you can decide situation to situation whether Repulsion Field should knock back or down.

Repulsion Bomb, despite the name, already does knockdown. On top of being a generally bad power. If you look at the stats for it, you'll notice it has one of the longest animation times for an attack, the Stun is only Mag 2 (ie Minions) and only has a 40% chance to activate. You can put a chance for +100% Recharge IO in this power, but its probably still not worth casting.

No, I don't think that slotting KB>KD IOs in Repulsion Field is worth it.  First, Homecoming made a modification to Repulsion Field so that if you slot a KB>KD IO in it, the chance of KB goes down to 10%.  This means that the KBs only trigger about once per 5 seconds per mob.  Second, it seems that mobs resist the KB about half the time.  The other half of the time, they just flinch a little and sometimes run out of the field.

When I slotted a KB>KD into repulsion field, I was hoping for a portable Bonfire.  Sadly, it was much less than that.  I ended up taking it back out.

As oedipus_tex says, you don't need a KB>KD IO for Repulsion Bomb, since it already does knockdowns.  However, I disagree that about it not being worth casting.   Just pack it full of procs.

54 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

While a Sudden Acceleration KD IO may not be worth it ... a Force Feedback proc often will be ...

This, if you slot both an FF proc and a Sudden Acceleration proc it gives you a nice boost to recharge. The problem is as a force fielder, you don't have a way to deal with the end drain outside of ageless destiny. If you are ok with that or you team with someone who has end tools often, I would go this route. Someone asked for an FF build a while ago and I included repulsion field in it.

Well I learned something today about RF's failure to proc KD  often on my Bots/FF MM. It's a shame that Bonfire is as awesome as it is with SA, but RF is nerfed with KD.  I've been dissatisfied with the rate of KD. Now I know why. 

I'll remove the SA proc and toss in something else. I have END to spare, so I'll keep the power.

On the plus side, with the MM pet AI changes KB'd foes aren't very problematic. The Bots don't chase anything anymore!

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

37 minutes ago, Force Redux said:

Well I learned something today about RF's failure to proc KD  often on my Bots/FF MM. It's a shame that Bonfire is as awesome as it is with SA, but RF is nerfed with KD.  I've been dissatisfied with the rate of KD. Now I know why. 

I'll remove the SA proc and toss in something else. I have END to spare, so I'll keep the power.

On the plus side, with the MM pet AI changes KB'd foes aren't very problematic. The Bots don't chase anything anymore!

Yeah, the KB is more of a bonus with the FF+kb to kd slotting, its more about the recharge procs. Depending on the build it may or may not be worth it.

@Darkir I could see it being useful in some builds. Fortunately, my MM doens't really need recharge (one of the few builds I have that doesn't need it..!).  With the PPM changes, a smashing damge proc doesn't really make sense either. /thinking cap

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds