Discord Weekly Discussion - Week 35: PVP

GM Miss

Much like the weekly strike target for task forces, make a designated pvp zone (Bloody Bay, Sirens Call, Warburg, or Recluses Victory) the "Weekly Conquest Target".  In that zone for the week you get reward merits or increased chance for pvp io drops for defeating other players or completing the objectives there.

Might as well used something that's already in the game than building a whole new zone or system for pvp.

• Like 1

• Community Rep

Short term/realistic things that would make a lot of us happy

-Reduce or eliminate the heal penalties on absorb pain and share pain in PvP. These heals already have 3 other penalties that are more than sufficient, and the -100% heal penalty has been unreasonable outside of 2v2s since 2010, and even more so now with how high damage is in this patch.

-Fix phase shift suppressing when hit with a hold, and possibly reduce the activation time.

-Implement the accolade accessibility idea GM Jimmy and I discussed before: Add a global 20% HP and 10% endurance buff in arena and PvP zones, and disable the corresponding accolades in PvP. 

-Add the 8 arena maps we voted on from the new arena map pool from last year.

-Figure out a way to add suppression (like holds currently have) to the effects of taunt and -jump/-fly

Less short term but still doesn't involve an overhaul of the PvP system:

-Add versions of IOs that only work in PvP to vendors, purchasable for roughly the price of an SO.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, CR Banana Man said:

Short term/realistic things that would make a lot of us happy

-Reduce or eliminate the heal penalties on absorb pain and share pain in PvP. These heals already have 3 other penalties that are more than sufficient, and the -100% heal penalty has been unreasonable outside of 2v2s since 2010, and even more so now with how high damage is in this patch.

-Fix phase shift suppressing when hit with a hold, and possibly reduce the activation time.

-Implement the accolade accessibility idea GM Jimmy and I discussed before: Add a global 20% HP and 10% endurance buff in arena and PvP zones, and disable the corresponding accolades in PvP. 

-Add the 8 arena maps we voted on from the new arena map pool from last year.

-Figure out a way to add suppression (like holds currently have) to the effects of taunt and -jump/-fly

Less short term but still doesn't involve an overhaul of the PvP system:

-Add versions of IOs that only work in PvP to vendors, purchasable for roughly the price of an SO.

I think these are all very good places to start. I don't think the heal penalty has any place in the game anymore, even in PVE. Phase Shift is such a fun move, but currently Hibernate outclasses it to some degree, so it'd be nice to have two different options. 

Also, new maps to play on would definitely be fun.

Reintroduce a form of travel suppression and eliminate base porting in pvp.

1) While most melee has survivability, that is apart of the AT. It isn't unfair that other ATs lack as much survivability because those ATs are not supposed to be tanks, scrappers, brutes, etc.. The lack of any travel suppression in pvp is granting ATs a survivability that shouldn't be there. If you want to have capped resist, defense, or not die as easily play an AT designed for that.

2) If you want to leave the zone when you are about to die don't enter the zone and don't pvp. Base Porting should've never been a thing in pvp. Just end it.

This is my opinion on pvp, not facts.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to play, I am just sharing my opinion on how pvp could be less run and gun (even for melee? Doesn't make sense) and more of an actual player vs. player battle.

Half of my time in zone pvp is spent chasing players that just retreat and come back, retreat and come back, base port and come back.

I am not trying to spend an hour in a pvp zone playing tag (Some is ok, but the complete lack of a travel suppression and the supremacy of spikes creates fotm around and caters to blaster and stalker playstyles).

3) Other pvp zones were fun, I wonder if there is anything that can be done to reintroduce an interest in BB, SC, and WB?

Edited by decimator656
  • Like 2

- Accessibility of stat enhancing accolades: I like CM Banana Man's suggestion of just a global HP/End buff in PvP  zones and arena. If that isn't possible, I suggest the creation of stat enhancing accolades that only work in PvP zones and arena. An idea I had previously suggested was to tie in collecting all the exploration badges similar to how  non pvp-zones have a corresponding reward for collecting all the badges in a specific zone. 

5% end accolade for all exploration badges in bloody bay

5% hp accolade for all exploration badges in siren's call

10% hp badge for all explorations badges in warburg

5% hp 5% end badge for all exploration badges in recluse's victory

This way at least it's still tied into pvp while being something to be earned. 

-Zone of the week: Set a "pvp zone of the week" to encourage activity in the other zones besides RV. If possible, double the amount of reputation earned from defeating an enemy player for the weekly zone and increase the drop rate of PvP IOs from defeating an enemy player. A more dramatic idea would be for that specific zone to be made free for all (like warburg) or raised to level 50 temporarily (like RV). Honestly I would be happy if Warburg were increased to 50. It's THE most neutral map do to the rogue enemy faction. RV has the problem of VERY unevenly powered NPC mobs between the two sides. 

-Implement the maps that we voted for months ago. 

-Have an IO vendor (the NPCS currently at Arena terminals) that sell IOs that only give set bonuses in PvP. 

-Reduce or eliminate the heal penalty from absorb pain type powers. I know this has been suggested multiple times but it can't be emphasized enough that the penalty no longer has a place at this point in the game.

-This last one is straight out of left field and I know 99.9% of people probably won't agree and will probably even laugh at the idea:
BUFF ASSASSIN STRIKE ON STALKERS. Yes I said it! With how much damage snipes, and certain outlier powers do, and also with how server ticks are on this server compared to live, there is very little incentive to AS someone at the moment over just Greater Psi Blading them. Make AS more unresistable and expand it's current range by 5 or 10 feet. Stalker's occupy this weird area where they are very effective for entry level PvP against player's who root a lot and haven't learned how to evade and break line of sight but becomes less and less effective against higher level competition. Landing an AS at all in an 8v8 arena match without assistance from a Dom/Troller actually takes some effort and at that level stalkers are just outclassed and outpaced by anything with ranged attacks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Void said:

- Accessibility of stat enhancing accolades: I like CM Banana Man's suggestion of just a global HP/End buff in PvP  zones and arena. If that isn't possible, I suggest the creation of stat enhancing accolades that only work in PvP zones and arena. An idea I had previously suggested was to tie in collecting all the exploration badges similar to how  non pvp-zones have a corresponding reward for collecting all the badges in a specific zone. 

5% end accolade for all exploration badges in bloody bay

5% hp accolade for all exploration badges in siren's call

10% hp badge for all explorations badges in warburg

5% hp 5% end badge for all exploration badges in recluse's victory

This way at least it's still tied into pvp while being something to be earned. 

-Zone of the week: Set a "pvp zone of the week" to encourage activity in the other zones besides RV. If possible, double the amount of reputation earned from defeating an enemy player for the weekly zone and increase the drop rate of PvP IOs from defeating an enemy player. A more dramatic idea would be for that specific zone to be made free for all (like warburg) or raised to level 50 temporarily (like RV). Honestly I would be happy if Warburg were increased to 50. It's THE most neutral map do to the rogue enemy faction. RV has the problem of VERY unevenly powered NPC mobs between the two sides. 

-Implement the maps that we voted for months ago. 

-Have an IO vendor (the NPCS currently at Arena terminals) that sell IOs that only give set bonuses in PvP. 

-Reduce or eliminate the heal penalty from absorb pain type powers. I know this has been suggested multiple times but it can't be emphasized enough that the penalty no longer has a place at this point in the game.

-This last one is straight out of left field and I know 99.9% of people probably won't agree and will probably even laugh at the idea:
BUFF ASSASSIN STRIKE ON STALKERS. Yes I said it! With how much damage snipes, and certain outlier powers do, and also with how server ticks are on this server compared to live, there is very little incentive to AS someone at the moment over just Greater Psi Blading them. Make AS more unresistable and expand it's current range by 5 or 10 feet. Stalker's occupy this weird area where they are very effective for entry level PvP against player's who root a lot and haven't learned how to evade and break line of sight but becomes less and less effective against higher level competition. Landing an AS at all in an 8v8 arena match without assistance from a Dom/Troller actually takes some effort and at that level stalkers are just outclassed and outpaced by anything with ranged attacks. 

I would add that AS shouldn't be able to be LOS'd either, or at least cut the cast time in half. Also the unresisted portion needs to be doubled at least. But I agree with everything in this post.

17 hours ago, Troo said:
  2 hours ago, macskull said:
  1. So you're suggesting that ally buffs should have no function in PvP? This would completely invalidate any semblance of team play. The point of diminishing returns as currently implemented was to prevent insane levels of external buffs and it did that to a point but the current DR values need tweaking.
  2. With the exception of Stalkers (1143 ft) and Soldiers/Widows (857.25 ft), every AT has a PvP stealth cap of 571.5 ft. Every AT's base perception is 500 ft and perception caps at 1153 ft (except for Soldiers/Widows which cap at 1260.6 ft). PvP builds have multiple sources of perception to the point where non-Soldier/Widow/Stalker stealth is essentially nonexistent. Removing invis/stealth breaks Stalkers, Banes, and Night Widows. I'm assuming the source of the "remove stealth" complaint comes from frustrating experiences with Stalkers but there are plenty of ways to deal with them while not removing the purpose of the entire class.
  3. 3 or 4 hits doesn't usually drop anybody - time to kill is much longer than it was pre-I13 and having teammates can help keep that the case.
  4. I understand how frustrating it is to be the only person in a PvP zone against a group of players on the other side but in situations like that you either play it smart and try and pick one off before getting out of there, call for more help and even the sides out, or leave until things are more balanced.

1. Yes. you can blame multi-boxing for this position

2. Pst, I am a stalker. i am the bad experience. i also recognize i don't have to have hide or stealth for pvp. we should be more than a one-trick pony

3. You're mistaken.

4. What? Is that crying? There is no crying in PVP. bwahahaha

perhaps we should stick to the topics, maybe allow folks to voice their suggestions without arguing with them.

your suggestions are questionable and reek of the stuff that made i13 into the calamity that it was.

#1 is a non-starter. I can't imagine a single competitive pvper who would think it's a good idea.

#2 is would just remove variety from the game. stalkers are basically a novelty class right now.

#3 listen to what macskull said.

#4 is a strong misinterpretation of how this game works. ganking isn't a thing. you can always bring friends into a zone to even it out, and coordination is heavily rewarded. if COH did not reward coordination as much as it does, i'm sure most of the competitive pvp crowd wouldn't be here (i mean, even marginally decreasing rewards on coordination was catastrophic when it came to i13).

1 hour ago, decimator656 said:

Reintroduce a form of travel suppression and eliminate base porting in pvp.

1) While most melee has survivability, that is apart of the AT. It isn't unfair that other ATs lack as much survivability because those ATs are not supposed to be tanks, scrappers, brutes, etc.. The lack of any travel suppression in pvp is granting ATs a survivability that shouldn't be there. If you want to have capped resist, defense, or not die as easily play an AT designed for that.

2) If you want to leave the zone when you are about to die don't enter the zone and don't pvp. Base Porting should've never been a thing in pvp. Just end it.

This is my opinion on pvp, not facts.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to play, I am just sharing my opinion on how pvp could be less run and gun (even for melee? Doesn't make sense) and more of an actual player vs. player battle.

Half of my time in zone pvp is spent chasing players that just retreat and come back, retreat and come back, base port and come back.

I am not trying to spend an hour in a pvp zone playing tag (Some is ok, but the complete lack of a travel suppression and the supremacy of spikes creates fotm around and caters to blaster and stalker playstyles).

3) Other pvp zones were fun, I wonder if there is anything that can be done to reintroduce an interest in BB, SC, and WB?

I think making movement slows worthwhile again helps in the travel suppression department. Issue 13's travel suppression system was just plain awful. The base teleporting thing is going to get removed eventually, it's just a matter of when... but it's yet another reason I don't spend much of my PvP time in zones.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, barrier said:

your suggestions are questionable and reek of the stuff that made i13 into the calamity that it was.

Did you have anything constructive to contribute?

Any ideas related to the list in the original post?

No?

My objective is how to get more players involved and make things fun.

"questionable and reek" is certainly not a very nice summary of my suggestions. 

I'm no sure what got you so triggered off mere suggestions in an open forum. It's not like 10 other folks clicked like on them.

It appears you simply want to shout down and belittle opinions that don't conform to your own. If a moderator isn't going to call you out on it I will.

It's a wonder more folks don't participate in pvp.

• Confused 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would love to see Mez and Melee based ATs get an overhaul as they are quite weak right now.  I like Alouu's idea of increasing the range on melee powers and adding some sort of speed boost after a melee attack lands.  I would even go further to allow some of the heavier hitting melee attacks to toggle drop travel powers to give players an incentive to play melee based ATs and take melee powers on ranged ATs as well.   I think the Mez system needs some serious tuning as holds in their current state are pretty easy to ignore. I would also like to see the squishier ATs hp cap be brought more in line with the blaster hp cap as right there's no reason to play anything else besides a blaster in pvp for damage dealing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Here's a thought for rewards:  Allow ATOs and WinterOs as drops for PvP kills, along with a higher chance of PvP recipes.

There is something to this. It would need to be implemented in a way that couldn't be exploited.

and without:  

23 hours ago, siolfir said:

the possibility that someone else might get something that you wouldn't.

for non pvp players/characters.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My only contribution to this is the following:

It would be a mistake to re-balance or make changes with the intent of bringing in newer players who do not PvP. This failed in issue 13, and fails in a lot of other PvP scenes (Starcraft, Street fighter etc.).

It's better to cater to the established player base, and if it's a great competitive scene, it will naturally attract others who are curious.

I think Banana man does a great job of speaking for the majority, and Alouu is similarly trying to make it better for those already playing. These are the approaches that have the best effect on the scene.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, vegetableknife said:

Also I dunno if the Domination Archetype ability actually works for dominators in pvp.  Like, in the wiki it says with domination up abilities last their full duration despite resistances but that's not really the case.

Info on Domination here: E9iL8Fx.png

That being said, DO NOT FIX IT.

Every dominator hold would last 8 full seconds on everyone with 0 counterplay.

Edited by Mallex

9 hours ago, GM Miss said:

Hey guys - this weekly discussion thing is new to the forums. Let me give a little reminder that the only kind of discussion i'll allow here is constructive. We have done these discussions for 34 weeks in a row and it has always been constructive

I love when players want to talk - that's why i decided these would be a great idea - and they really have been. However, you can discuss and be kind - you can agree and disagree but you will always be considerate and respectful. This is the only time I will give this warning.

Now....let's talk about what could make pvp better in the future - I look forward to some awesome responses - much like a few we have already gotten.

Thanks 🙂

Hey GM_Miss,

It’s me. You probably remember me from smol kickball, discord, or bugged missions you’ve helped me complete..

Anyway, please listen to macskull, m3z, and alouu.

We, the PvP community, agree with everything THEY have been saying and only support THEIR ideas/changes.

Thank you.

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2020 at 9:14 AM, Spotlore said:

It would be cool to have an open world place where both heroes and villains could do daily missions for resources and rewards.  The catch is, it's open PvP, and the missions would be sending both sides into a concentrated area to complete them.  Mission NPC's should be in safer areas of the zone to prevent NPC camping / ganks.  

So players will have incentive to come every day to get the daily rewards for completed missions, and it will be an open brawl for PvP.  Could be a fight for control areas.  Have to capture so many to finish mission 1.  Knock out a number of enemy players for daily mission 2.  (party member kills count for mission progress to encourage players to team up and interact.)

Anyone wanna add or subtract anything to this?  Just spitballin on what I'd like to see.  Can't speak for everyone. 

EDIT:  Missions should also include PvE.  In case there are no players around to fight.  There can be several daily missions that take players into the combat area to take out NPC targets and such, just like any zone.   

An upgrade to Warburg zone should cover this. I like it 🙂

25 alts with all the badges!

Before any revamping of the PvP system and the PvP zones occurs,  could efforts be made to debug the arena?

Sometimes it locks up and will not start any matches, and sometimes even logging out and back in doesn't restore it.  My one theory on this is that if some players in the arena event are on 32bit client and others on 64bit client that this can happen, as that is when it first struck me and a pal of mine when we were doing some PvP.   Could be wrong though, could just be a random glitch.

Also the Tournament Victor/Swiss Draw badge reward system has been broken since BEFORE shut down and only awards the badge to a player that is in a specific arena team slot when the event starts.   The badge is still obtainable, but the team must be aware of the bug and basically designate a winner before the match even starts.

All the other arena badges appear to be working normally.

Also an upgrade idea for the arena: arena bots!  If someone wants to do some Arena fights but their pals aren't online, they can set the arena to spawn some EB/AV arena bots.   Use the AV"s that spawn in Recluse Victory or use the Praetorians that you have to defeat for dimensional warder badge.

Edited by Voltor
  • Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

Some of what I say is going to reference what's been discussed between people in the discord chat over the last couple of days, so if you want more context, please look there.

On the discussion about the heal and regeneration penalties for Absorb Pain and Share Pain, I think those penalties should be removed entirely. Not lowering them to -50% or -60%, but remove them completely. Maybe the penalty should be to have the users' defense or resistance lowered slightly for a short time, or perhaps increase the self-damage component of the powers' effects to something reasonable. Maybe both. But the loss of being able to regenerate health on a squishy set like this in this high-damage environment is too severe.

I also agree that 1606 HP-capped archetypes should all have their HP caps increased to the new Blaster HP cap in response to the insane level of damage that's currently happening in PvP, but even more broadly just as a matter of basic fairness. I find that much of the time that extra HP actually could matter in critical situations where a lot of pressure is put on support players, and I, too, don't understand why the Blaster HP cap was ever increased in the first place when you consider their damage output. There's a reason why the current composition of a lot of teams is mostly Blasters, one or two Emps, and then miscellaneous. There's really very little reason to play any other damage archetype unless you enjoy the two extremes of being targeted constantly or being engaged with seldomly, if at all.

If procs aren't taken a look at in PvP AND nothing happens with regard to a HP cap increase, I think that, in addition to removing those heal penalties, Empathy's Healing Aura, Pain Domination's Nullify Pain, and Thermal Radiation's Warmth powers should each have a moderate self-absorb shield mechanic added to them in a similar way that Spirit Ward from the Sorcery power pools works that would apply to the user only. Such an absorb mechanic obviously wouldn't trigger every single time these powers are used, but instead have a chance to occur perhaps twice per minute. Maybe these changes should occur even if the penalties are removed and HP caps are increased, but I'm willing to accept the view that perhaps all three of those positive changes happening simultaneously could be a bit much.

A few earlier points that I politely disagree with from the discussion in the discord chat that happened yesterday afternoon and into the night:

(1) Comparing one or two Emps' skill levels in the current PvP scene to the entire pool of PvP Emps shouldn't be a factor in the decision to remove those heal penalties, especially when that pool is so small (effectively a sub-set of the already small PvP community). In other words, if one or two Emps have known successful tracks records with healing and evading in spite of those penalties, kudos to them, but to hold everyone else to that standard just isn't realistic. Empathy/Pain Domination have learning curves that are so steep and the metagame is so hyper-offensive that that you almost have to be a masochist to play them. I think I've noticed a few more people step up and play them in recent weeks including myself, but individual skill levels and possibly even dedication to developing those skills may vary. 

(2) One Blaster roguing Absorb Pain Emps can be a big issue. It may pull one Blaster off the main target, but I've been in situations in the past two weeks where that fact alone doesn't impede the other opposing damage dealers' ability to get kills in the slightest, especially if they continue the pressure on their target after a spike and/or immediately turn their attention toward the individual who was previously rogued and is already suffering from that prior attrition damage. Also, for various reasons, sometimes people don't run two Emps in their team compositions and instead run just one. Doing the former isn't an answer to this issue, in my view.

(3) I think evading on an Emp is generally difficult. Playing one is like circus plate spinning: at any given time, you're healing, applying Clear Mind, Fortitude, Adrenaline Boost, and probably doing other things depending on your primary/secondary and pool powers, all while making sure your teammates stay alive, you stay alive yourself, and quickly adapting when you're faced with getting run over by a damage truck. I love the challenge of it; to me, there's nothing like the rush I get from Emp'ing, but it's no easy task. There's a reason why most people don't play them, some get frustrated and stop playing them, and why some people can easily be perceived as being bad on them. Meanwhile, non-Emps have the luxury of being able to evade AND there's the implicit understanding that they rely on their Emps for their survival whereas Emps, if they're solo, don't have the luxury of relying on anyone else's on-demand heals, and even if there's a second Emp in the mix, it seems to me that in a lot of cases that second Emp is either trying to keep up their heal/buff obligations and survive and may throw a heal the other Emp's way if it's convenient. Individual experiences may differ with more skilled Emps, but I think they're an anomaly and not necessarily the rule. Perhaps there's an expectation that Emps like myself who are still wet behind the ears should strive for that, and I certainly am, but again, I don't know that such an expectation is realistic for everyone or if it's going to ultimately materialize in the same way for everyone.

Future Open World Content: A few more level 50 PvP zones with objectives like capture the flag and no NPCs. One of the level 50 zones being free-for-all like Warburg would be great, and another that disallows Incarnate powers with the exception of Alpha slots.

Separately, PvP missions with objectives would be great (like mini-base raids where challengers fight over Items of Power that have special effects/buffs that apply to future PvP missions). Depending on the mission type, you can have pre-made teams with friends/SG-mates and then others where you have to queue with random people.

Future Arena Content: More map options.

Overpowered Sets: I can’t speak to this; see “What Needs to Be Adjusted” below for commentary on procs.

Underpowered Sets:

• I’ve never known Dark Miasma to be used very much in PvP even when the game was live, probably due to how certain signature powers in the set require an enemy to use in addition to the long root times. I think faster animations could help: Twilight Grasp having a faster animation like Life Drain’s animation (also make it auto-hit and not require a ToHit check), and Howling Twilight’s having an animation like Lingering Radiation.

• Outside of Recluse’s Victory with the occasional Blaster or Sentinel using it, I don’t see Dark Blast-type powers used much on Corruptors, Defenders, or Dominators. The non-Blaster/Sentinel sets or some individual powers within the sets could use a buff to their base damage to bring them in line with other blast sets, and, ideally, making the rooting animations less severe on powers like Gloom and Life Drain.

• I think non-Stalker melee archetypes need some help in being able to better fight against ranged players. "Guy" from the discord discussion had a good idea about adding toggle dropping to certain melee attacks. I seem to also recall seeing somewhere a suggestion about increasing the range on certain melee attacks. I've always been of the view that non-Stalker melee archetypes should have one Mortal Kombat Scorpion "Spear" ("Get over here!")-type attack with a moderate recharge that very briefly stuns its target, but I don't know how easily that could be implemented.

What Needs to Be Adjusted:

• Procs make the metagame overly damage-focused. This should definitely be a priority for scrutiny because it’s overwhelming. 

• As someone who played several debuff-oriented characters on live, I think debuff users generally need more of a role in PvP, and I think that can start by making Defender debuffs unresisted once again as they were for a period of time on live. Aside from its own distinct utility, debuff sets outside of Poison generally don’t seem to be used because of diminishing returns, buffs and toggles that can easily make certain debuffs useless, and because PvP as it stands now is overly damage-focused. Slows, for example, aren’t really as effective as they once were. I think Corruptors should also have some limited percentage of their debuffs unresisted, too (perhaps 30-50ish%?). People who play specific debuff powersets can speak better to their concerns about individual powers and mechanics, but on the whole, I’d like to see a variety of debuff powersets like Sonic, Cold, Storm see more play in PvP again.

• Certain toggle debuffs like Darkest Night, Radiation Infection, and Enervating Field drop when the user is mezzed, and I don’t think that should be the case. They’re difficult to reapply every time the user is mezzed, and such status effects do occur often in PvP. Toggle debuffs should remain on their targets even when mezzed. The targets’ ability to run away and get out of sight to de-toggle the debuffs should be enough.

• Phase Shift users can be mezzed out of phase. It’s my understanding that this is a bug.

• Taunt either needs suppression or Taunt resistance should be added to certain powers like Clear Mind, Enforced Morale, and Thaw.

What I Currently Like About PvP: the fast-paced nature of PvP is unlike anything I’ve experienced in other MMOs, and that's partly why it’s the only MMO PvP that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed.

I hope the devs will not consider any notions about adding any form of travel suppression to PvP. Again, the speed of PvP is unique to this game and travel suppression made it absolutely miserable. I agree that melee archetypes need some attention, but travel suppression is not the way to do it. Making powers that have a slow component viable again would help with that issue along with what I've said above in regards to underpowered sets.

Lastly, although our community is small, the people who do participate care about it a lot and want to see it flourish, so to the devs/GMs/GM Miss: thank you for taking the time to consider the opinions of the PvP community! It is very, very much appreciated. 

Edited by Kencian
  • Like 3

I personally do not like PVP.  I do not like having to fight against other human players because for the most part, most games hardly balance around a level playing field for classes/powers, and just let it come down to simple skill.  I've played multiple MMOs, MOBAs, and it doesn't feel great when you constantly get defeated, by either very skilled players (which I'm not that mad about) or by players that take advantage of the system in place (which is human nature to exploit *within* the confines of the rules/systems in place).  There's nothing that can really get me to enjoy PVP, simply because I can't adjust PLAYER skill to be even, and again, no one makes a perfect system that only accounts for player skill.  Sure, interesting mechanics like sports ball stuff - awesome. But straight up fighting...no thanks.

As long as any changes to PVP doesn't effect PVE, I'm fine.  Especially if a good bit of these changes are put on to a dedicated PVP server.  Maybe some changes to PVP on the regular servers. But I would agree with any PVP for rules that make a PVP server feel unique and special, and a happy place for those that love PVP.

Also to the GMs - slightly non-related, slightly related. How about putting with these and future discussions, a rule to not have posters confront one another.  Or atleast not break down someone's thoughts as a reply.  You (the GMs) want to have constructive and useful discussions, but I've noticed the same few people, across multiple threads on this forum, constantly take shots at each other and others, and then discussions turn into a few pages worth of back and forth, miscommunication/misunderstandings, and sometimes just derail a thread till a GM steps in to say calm down.  It doesn't help breaking down someone else's thoughts.  I feel like if someone doesn't agree with my suggestions (to the GMs), that's okay. But calling out my ideas because you think they're a bad idea, without much in return, is not helpful (to the GMs) and at worst, can make me NOT want to participate.  I'm sure others might feel the same way.

(Basically, don't respond to someone's idea by name. Just make a response to their idea with your own idea, not comments that come across as vindictive and petty, just because you disagree with their idea.  If someone goes 'I'd like this power to X' then don't do 'well that's lame, MR E', be more like 'If power does X, it'll break this other power Y' or 'If power did do X, maybe make it does a bit less because its similar to Y').  I'm sure this probably isn't being explained very well, but again, I'm just tired of seeing discussions getting derailed by a small amount of players who seem to have issues with one another or just like showing they're much better at arguing then being constructive in discussions. And no I'm not calling them out by name. Goes against what I'm trying to say here).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1