Making my first Stalker, I play solo a lot

Everon56

9 hours ago, Everon56 said:

I would appreciate all thoughts and comments on the best solo stalker. I was thinking about Ninja Blade/Ninjutsu.

Hmm.. To be honest any Stalker will solo well. You decide when to start and when you do you either kill something or take a huge chunk of their HP. Are we talking +0x1 solo or +4x8? Depending on which self-heals and sets with more or less AoE will impact in the decision.

Ninja/Ninja is a fine option. Ice/ is also very good since it has a good blend of AoE and ST plus can hold some sweet procs. You can also do some sweet things with Staff/ since both it and Ice needed the help in the single target which Stalker provides with Assassin's Strike. Kinetic Melee also got help from the ST department and is a set that blooms extraordinarily early, as early as level 18, by unlocking all the ST attacks you would use and the set's AoE, and makes up for the weaker AoE by making its sole AoE auto-crit from Hide which can be fished for very fluidly. All things considered I might advise Kinetic Melee for a solo experience due to its early start. Ice, for example, wants level 26 for its wtfbbq heavy hitter (heavier than AS) and 32 for the second AoE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having a lvl 49 Ice/Nin Stalker, I suggest it.

Ninja was originally a Stalker only set.  I find it has plenty of skippable (for me anyways) powers, so I can pick up more Pool Powers.  AOE and ST mix.  PBAOE won't come til level 32, but Frost is early level and does better ST damage than Frozen Fists (or it may have been just a hair under, but Frost can slot a -Resist Proc).

I love the Pink Pom Poms of Energy Melee, but the lack of Whirling Hands keeps me away.

Some stalker sets are more single target focused, some are more AE-friendly.   But if you solo a lot, you're unlikely to be in a situation where you NEED to burn down a host of mobs all at once. 

Caltrops is a hidden gem in /Ninjistu.  Stops incoming damage from melee foes cold as they slowly try to escape the pain-field, and you get total free hits in the meantime.

Also, the Stalker ATO's are *extremely* nice, to the point of being game-changing.  Unless you're doing a deliberate live-off-the-land build, I heartily recommend slotting both ATO procs at lvl 10 or as close as you can after.  Even if you move them around later with unslotters. 

Ninja Blade has less AOE than the newer sets, but for soloing small groups of baddies is fine.

If you want full scrapper set levels of AOE you need SJ, Staff, Savage, Electric,  maybe a couple I missed .. 

But except for Electric none of the really old sets Stalkers got back in the day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SaintD said:

Energy Melee is just about the only wrong choice you can make

Even energy melee is playable solo. Just be prepared to stick a pop tart in the toaster from time to time while waiting for powers to animate.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 9 months later
On 1/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, Troo said:

Even energy melee is playable solo. Just be prepared to stick a pop tart in the toaster from time to time while waiting for powers to animate.

SOON (TM)!

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, Haijinx said:

Ninja Blade has less AOE than the newer sets, but for soloing small groups of baddies is fine.

If you want full scrapper set levels of AOE you need SJ, Staff, Savage, Electric,  maybe a couple I missed .. 

But except for Electric none of the really old sets Stalkers got back in the day.

Spines also has excellent AoE and ST was improved in Stalkers in the port over. Solid, also has some range too. 

• Thanks 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

On 1/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, Troo said:

Looking like its going to be better on Scrappers though.  Maybe a EM/nin? 

A ninja/ninja stalker was my first 50 on live, and again on Homecoming. 🙂 She's great for solo, you can go +1 or +2 levels of Notoriety pretty early and keep it there; once you're nicely slotted +3 and +4 are definitely not out of the question. I was able to solo Silver Mantis' strike force ("Pirates of the Sky") around level 24 without dying (but using two Shivans from Bloody Bay... the fight against the AV at the end lasted long enough that the power had recharged).

Peaceful Embrace is an Incarnate now and attempting to solo all of the other Task/Strike Forces. She can stand up to AVs, and defeat them (usually with a Shivan due to being Exemplared on the TFs).

I'm going to use some of the helpful hints from @Croax's excellent guide to become even more of a badass.

• Thanks 1