"Silent" Popup

lithoi

Why does a big yellow "Silent" come up on the screen when I load in a character?  This only occurs with a new character. It's the very first thing to pop up, before the New Badge notifications.  It started after the last patch, and I didn't change anything.

image.thumb.png.953995dacf17c2316e0cbce574d8e239.png

Edited by lithoi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably done as a way to combat "burner" characters/accounts which could be used for spamming channels.  Either that or it's a "timing thing" on when all of your communication channels get loaded up on a new character, such that at the moment of first spawning your character is (literally) SILENT ... hence the notification ... before the communication channels get loaded in automatically (so temporary silence, rather than permanent until countermanded by a GM).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

3 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Probably done as a way to combat "burner" characters/accounts which could be used for spamming channels.  Either that or it's a "timing thing" on when all of your communication channels get loaded up on a new character, such that at the moment of first spawning your character is (literally) SILENT ... hence the notification ... before the communication channels get loaded in automatically (so temporary silence, rather than permanent until countermanded by a GM).

But that doesn't explain why it just started after the last patch.  The patch notes say nothing about it either.  I posted this in the Facebook group too, and someone said it could be for a coming feature and wasn't meant to be live yet, but why only on brand new characters... Just confused...  😞

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

So long as it isn't interfering/preventing you from playing (the way you want to play) ... I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

First they came for the warshades, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a warshade.

Next they came for the defenders, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a defender.

Then they came for the blasters, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a blaster.

Last, they came for me- and there was no one to speak out for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Here is what I was talking about in a post on the General Discussion forum. It was suggested I try here too. This only occurs with a new character.  It's the very first thing to pop up, before the New Badge notifications.  Why does a big yellow "Silent" come up on the screen when I load in a character?

FB_IMG_1580070279089.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lithoi said:

But that doesn't explain why it just started after the last patch.  The patch notes say nothing about it either.  I posted this in the Facebook group too, and someone said it could be for a coming feature and wasn't meant to be live yet, but why only on brand new characters... Just confused...  😞

Are these on characters that bypass the Tutorial area, or did it happen to those you took through the Tutorial?

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

4 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

Of course, people who weren't around at the time probably have no clue what FREEM is all about 🙂

True, they have no idea of the power of Total Radial FREEM.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I first noticed this on Pineapple a few weeks ago, when I was creating new chars to test the Tanker and Phantom Army changes.  It appears that it migrated to prod with the most recent patch as well.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

49 minutes ago, NinjaPirate said:

I just had this message when I asked Null the Gull to remove the temp power popup tray.

He does that, too?  That is one wise bird.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

He does that, too?  That is one wise bird.

Powerful in the ways of the Freem, Null is.  Luminous being is he, not this crude matter.

Edited by Luminara
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Have we checked the chat activity to see if the system reported something there with perhaps an explanation?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 1/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, lithoi said:

Bypass

Then it sounds like something used to stop spammers from broadcasting in Atlas Park with brand new characters.  If you go through the Tutorials, you're probably not in it to spam.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.