Possible to proliferate Burst of Speed to Martial Arts Scrappers/Brutes?

Bartacus

Burst of Speed is an amazing power but it doesn't make a ton of sense that it only exists on a class that is primarily ranged. It would fit so well into a Scrapper Primary, like Martial Arts! Is is possible to add this into the possible power choices for that class somehow? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bartacus said:

Burst of Speed is an amazing power but it doesn't make a ton of sense that it only exists on a class that is primarily ranged. It would fit so well into a Scrapper Primary, like Martial Arts! Is is possible to add this into the possible power choices for that class somehow? 

Well, isn't part of the reasoning behind the power that since a blaster has higher damage, but is more fragile, that positioning becomes that much more vital to their survival?  That being said, the ability to blink/flash-step as other ATs would be quite cool.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Well, isn't part of the reasoning behind the power that since a blaster has higher damage, but is more fragile, that positioning becomes that much more vital to their survival?  That being said, the ability to blink/flash-step as other ATs would be quite cool.

I don't know. I mean, seems fun to be able to chase runners down on a melee too. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bartacus said:

I don't know. I mean, seems fun to be able to chase runners down on a melee too. 

One aspect of Champions Online that I rather like is how they gave almost every melee set a "lunge" power, which allows you to quickly close the distance.  I suspect that spring attack, shield charge, and lightning rod were, (at least in part), meant to fill this role...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

Let’s say that this is an option, however, it replaces one of the powers in the set. Which power should it replace? 

Also, Captain Powerhouse has already mentioned that if changes were made to a set, then it would be made across all versions of the set, so Tankers and Stalkers have to be taken into account for this idea.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

17 minutes ago, biostem said:

One aspect of Champions Online that I rather like is how they gave almost every melee set a "lunge" power, which allows you to quickly close the distance.  I suspect that spring attack, shield charge, and lightning rod were, (at least in part), meant to fill this role...

A lot of newer games do this. 

Or the reverse, ways for melee combatants to pull baddies close, quickly. 

I guess with the old pull, tank and spank gameplay no longer being a thing, it helps keeps things moving. 

3 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I like this idea. 

You could also combine two of the armors in Super Reflex and turn one of them into this and I'd be very happy. 

Super Reflexes with something like this? I might actually be tempted to give it a go again.

I'm not sure I understand why Stalker in particular would need to receive the change too considering it's wildly different from the others...? It has no AoE for example. I'm not sure that you really can get rid of something, unless the community was generally fine with beginning to replace the taunt on scrappers with something else since it's so rarely taken.

Overall, it just seems like a waste of a REALLY unique and cool power to only have it on blasters. That's what sparked the idea. Burst of Speed is unique as a VERY fast teleportation power that can be used 3 times before it goes on cooldown. 

Edited by Bartacus

10 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Let’s say that this is an option, however, it replaces one of the powers in the set. Which power should it replace? 

Also, Captain Powerhouse has already mentioned that if changes were made to a set, then it would be made across all versions of the set, so Tankers and Stalkers have to be taken into account for this idea.

Crane Kick or Cobra Strike. They both are single target attacks that do the same damage, with the same endurance cost and recharge. Put both secondary effects on the one you keep so that you don't lose either the stun or KB and add the animation of the one you ditch as an alternate for the one you keep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bartacus said:

I'm not sure I understand why Stalker in particular would need to receive the change too considering it's wildly different from the others...?

Yes, wildly different. It replaced a PBAoE with a 7th single target attack in a set that already had 6. That's so wildly different it's nigh incomprehensible how anyone could figure out how to play one.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, siolfir said:

Yes, wildly different. It replaced a PBAoE with a 7th single target attack in a set that already had 6. That's so wildly different it's nigh incomprehensible how anyone could figure out how to play one.

Level 50 MA/DA here. 

Solo: higher difficulty, less mob saturation. The time to take down 8-man spawns isn’t worth it unless you like erasing enemies one at a time.

Teams: concentrate on high-value targets.  The rest of the team clears the trash.

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Crane Kick or Cobra Strike. They both are single target attacks that do the same damage, with the same endurance cost and recharge. Put both secondary effects on the one you keep so that you don't lose either the stun or KB and add the animation of the one you ditch as an alternate for the one you keep.

Dropping the KB wouldn’t make me lose a wink of sleep, so l would prefer to start there.

Just now, Myrmidon said:

Dropping the KB wouldn’t make me lose a wink of sleep, so l would prefer to start there.

I agree, but wouldn't it be fun (and thematic, given source material) to knock a mob 20 feet away and Burst of Speed to hit it again before it lands?

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, Bartacus said:

I'm not sure I understand why Stalker in particular would need to receive the change too considering it's wildly different from the others...? It has no AoE for example.

Martial Arts on a Stalker is from the beginning when they tried to orient Stalkers into PvP single-target Kings. No AoE was common for the AT in those early days.

Edited by Myrmidon

Just now, siolfir said:

I agree, but wouldn't it be fun (and thematic, given source material) to knock a mob 20 feet away and Burst of Speed to hit it again before it lands?

Bye, bye Cobra Strike it is.

Now, you’re making me consider that combo on my actual Martial Combat Blaster.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, siolfir said:

not having any AoE's DOES make a set wildly different. What the f?

On 1/28/2020 at 11:43 AM, Myrmidon said:

Bye, bye Cobra Strike it is.

Now, you’re making me consider that combo on my actual Martial Combat Blaster.

it actually was extremely satisfying to use the Repel ability (Ki Push) from /Martial and then burst of speed into them. 

• Like 1

Tbh, I wouldn't be opposed to granting new powers for choosing others, at this point.

E.g. 

Choose Focus Chi? Also gain access to Burst of Speed.  One use before going on cooldown.

Choose Warrior's Challenge? (Gasp!) get Burst of Speed.  If you also have Focus Chi, you can use it twice before it goes on cooldown.

Choose Eagle's Claw?  You get the idea!  3 uses before it goes on cooldown if you collect 'em all.

Ok, even I have a hard time taking myself seriously about the "Warrior's Challenge" part but I'm still super OK with this overall approach.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bartacus said:

it actually was extremely satisfying to use the Repel ability (Ki Push) from /Martial and then burst of speed into them. 

My preferred wombo-combo (particularly in the early levels) is:
Ki Push -> queue up Storm Kick  -> queue a blast once Storm Kick starts.

(do NOT use Eagle's Claw for this.  It functions mechanically but it looks stupid as hell)

Gives a really nice flow of kicking them away from you and then you exit the spin right into a shoot animation, shooting them out of the air Devil May Cry style.

Follow up with Burst of Speed -> Dragon Tail if necessary.

Edited by Replacement

12 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I thought id love burst of speed .. ended up not even ever using it ... so ...

same, it is a cool looking power but it doesn't really do too much damage if the targeting worked more like savage leap (ie. cast on foe and appear near them) it would have better utility. as far as placing it on melee, it would have to replace an already pre-existing damage aoe otherwise its a power creep. And sets without an aoe to replace would be marginalized even further.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

5 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

same, it is a cool looking power but it doesn't really do too much damage if the targeting worked more like savage leap (ie. cast on foe and appear near them) it would have better utility. as far as placing it on melee, it would have to replace an already pre-existing damage aoe otherwise its a power creep. And sets without an aoe to replace would be marginalized even further.

I suggest a powexeclocation macro.

You guys are missing out on a fantastic power.

54 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

if i gotta use a macro to get a power to behave properly it may need some tweaking. also could u post an example of said macro? 🙂 

I usually use binds, but the command would be powexeclocation target "Burst of Speed" (with the quotes optional).

So for a bind (/bind <key> <command>) it would be /bind powexeclocation target Burst of Speed, or for a basic macro (/macro <name> <command>) /macro BS powexeclocation target "Burst of Speed".

You can also use power images for macros if you want, but because it's a macro the icon won't display the recharge for the power.