What else are you playing right now?

NNDeepdish

I wanted something a little slower-paced which is kind of a throwback to older-style games, so I picked up Warhammer 40K Mechanicus.  It's a fun game, but has some odd mechanics for a turn-based strategy game - almost feels like a "Choose your own adventure" at times...

Going back to games I played but never finished, i'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles again after having not played it since the 3DS release.  35 hours and now i'm at the point where I stopped playing, so now the rest of the game is very much blind.  Oh boy.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

@Techwright

Civ VI definitely has a sense of irony. 🤣

Started a game as Kongo: 

Giant's Causeway within 3 tiles of my starting position revealed on turn 1. (Finding Natural Wonder grants inspiration for Astrology)

Stone resource 2 tiles from my Capital. (Required for Stonehenge)

Damn game gave me the perfect start for a religious victory. I went ahead and built Stonehenge anyway just to deny everyone else the pleasure. 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Haha 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 2 months later
On 4/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, InvaderStych said:

Civ VI definitely has a sense of irony. 🤣

Was playing today as Simon Bolivar, leader of Gran Colombia.  Every time a new era starts, I get a special leader called a Comandante General.

The most recent one was named Gregor MacGregor.

Sounds odd, but I'm guessing it's a reference to this guy:
General Gregor MacGregor (24 December 1786 – 4 December 1845) was a Scottish soldier, adventurer, and confidence trickster who attempted from 1821 to 1837 to draw British and French investors and settlers to "Poyais", a fictional Central American territory that he claimed to rule as "Cazique".

At one point, he led Venezuelan troops against the Spanish with the rank of general.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Grabbed Gedonia in a July 4 Steam sale and have been playing it this week.  It really does feel like a "classic open world RPG" like it's Steam subtitle says.  Nostalgia feeling for games I played 20 to 30 years back.   It's considered Early Access, and it's definitely got its fair share of bugs, but I just make certain I do quick saves more often, just in case, and I'm good to go.  I find them very forgivable, especially when I learned that nearly everything in the game was created by one man, and he's been doing a pretty good job of responding to players on social media in addition to building this virtual world.  (Voice acting includes others, though it sounds like he recruited his neighbors instead of professions.) Those are the negatives.  I found the game very enjoyable otherwise, and I'm marveling in how intricate this one-man project is.  There's hidden things to find stuffed all over (and under!) the map.

I've not seen anything truly original in the game, but it looks like he's put together all his favorite bits from other RPGs and it works.  I was playing a puzzle dungeon tonight utilizing my NPC sidekicks and it definitely felt both challenging and old-school dungeon-y. 

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

Sounds odd, but I'm guessing it's a reference to this guy:
General Gregor MacGregor (24 December 1786 – 4 December 1845) was a Scottish soldier, adventurer, and confidence trickster who attempted from 1821 to 1837 to draw British and French investors and settlers to "Poyais", a fictional Central American territory that he claimed to rule as "Cazique".

At one point, he led Venezuelan troops against the Spanish with the rank of general.

That's actually rather awesome! 

I did a Domination Victory run with Bolivar not long ago.  Promoting military units as a free action might just be seriously OP.  I want to say his military gets an extra movement point as well, but maybe that was just with the CG's in range.

I'll have to pay more attention to their names next time though.  Feel like there are a lot of details like that which I miss by zoning out on my turns. 🤣

36 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

I did a Domination Victory run with Bolivar not long ago.  Promoting military units as a free action might just be seriously OP.  I want to say his military gets an extra movement point as well, but maybe that was just with the CG's in range.

1)  The promotions aren't a free action.  It requires 'retiring' (removing) the general.

2)  Not just the military.  *ALL* units get the extra movement.  Also, using a promotion does not end their turn.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

7 hours ago, Ironblade said:

1)  The promotions aren't a free action.  It requires 'retiring' (removing) the general.

Sorry, I was unclear.  I was referring to promoting military units as a free action, not the CG's retirement ability.

Being able to promote and attack/move on the same turn is a big advantage over other civs in a fight.  Doubly so with the extra movement point, forgot it was for everything. 😄

🍻

Edited by InvaderStych

On 7/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, Azari said:

Been playing hella GATE OF THUNDER on TurboGrafx 16 Super CD!

Nice! That reminds me, I need to fix my TG-CD player.

I've been trying to find the time to give Pathfinder:Kingmaker a real go, since I bought it years ago.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:14 PM, Pep Rally said:

Nice! That reminds me, I need to fix my TG-CD player.

I've been trying to find the time to give Pathfinder:Kingmaker a real go, since I bought it years ago.

I have a TurboGrafx-16 wiþ TurboBooſter & Turbo Everdrive, as well as a PC Engine (white model) wiþ Interface unit, CD-ROM2 Drive, & Super Syſtem card, & a CoreGrafx wiþ Terraonion Super HD Syſtem3 Pro.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, Robin1996ify said:

I'm about to re-install Red Dead Redemption 2, because the last time I played it, I never proceed further from Chapter 3... then again, I spent more time in Red Dead Online instead of continuing the story missions.

GTA Online, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6, Marc Ecko: Getting Up, and Lego City Undercover are the games I currently played this year.

Also played this game:

278573219_SevenCatsTavern.thumb.JPG.133cadfa4d446b894062d0d504f67339.JPG

i wish i could get into COH housing like this game.  so easy to place and do things.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Has anyone tried Stray?  I've watched some gameplay footage, and while it looks great, I'm wary that it'll turn out to basically be the "boring parts" of a 3rd person RPG, without any of the combat, powers, or customization...

20 hours ago, biostem said:

Has anyone tried Stray?  I've watched some gameplay footage, and while it looks great, I'm wary that it'll turn out to basically be the "boring parts" of a 3rd person RPG, without any of the combat, powers, or customization...

I have not.  While it does look great and seems like a fun concept, I just don't play solo games much.

I'm hoping that Peace Island comes out some day.  You play a cat in that one also, but you're one of a group of cats on an island where all the people have disappeared and you work together (online co-op) to solve the mystery.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:24 AM, biostem said:

I did and I loved it. And it's not an RPG game though, technically it's more in-line with story-telling, platformer, adventure game. It can be a boring game, but for some people they actually enjoy that type of games.

Edited by Robin1996ify
  • Thanks 1

Heroes, villains, no problem.

Have some cookies, you're welcome. 😄

Cookies.jpg.2b22cf3d06af9c1b815c84046ae060bb.jpg

On 7/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, Azari said:

I have a TurboGrafx-16 wiþ TurboBooſter & Turbo Everdrive, as well as a PC Engine (white model) wiþ Interface unit, CD-ROM2 Drive, & Super Syſtem card, & a CoreGrafx wiþ Terraonion Super HD Syſtem3 Pro.

Nice. I just have the TGFX-16 with the CD dock/player, super system 3 card, and like a dozen CD games I bought back in the early 90's.

The cd unit got wet when the basement flooded in the apartment I lived in back in the late 90s, and killed it.  I finally sent it to get repaired like 10 years ago, but it died again after working for a few weeks.

Been playing Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series a lot lately. The Klonoa games are REALLY good platformers. (I was lucky enough to end up getting my hands on Klonoa 2 when I was a kid and loved it to pieces, and am loving the chance to play it again.) I hope the Phantasy Reverie does well enough that Klonoa 3 can come to be.

Edited by Cybersbe

Another Civ VI update.

Going after a cultural victory with French Eleanor has an interesting side effect.  Each great work in a city causes -1 loyalty in a wide range (9 tiles!).  I wound up assimilating the entire Aztec empire just by stacking GWs in border cities.  Turned out to be a snowball effect after taking the first two as they also had huge GW collections.  Pangaea map was a lucky draw on this one.

Not shown to the northeast, several smaller cities I snapped up from Portugal.

EleanorAssimilates.thumb.JPG.4b908fe9d5618580afa6ba745d3c7522.JPG