End Game Problems

Kodo

1. Once you get to 50, you can turn off XP only on exemped content and all the XP you would have gotten goes straight to inf.  I usually do this once my level 50s once they have their unlocks so everything you make on Penny Yin or whatever goes straight to the bank.

2. Are you actually talking about mobs rather than maps.  It is easy to make wildly overpowered custom mobs.  This is why I use recolored standard mobs whenever I can.

3. Task forces, task forces, and more task forces.  AFAIK every recipe in the game is available to buy with reward merits, as are the ATOs and event specials.  This is how I get many of my enhancements.  Run the weekly on as many characters as can.

4.  Never measured an IO.  Most of them seem to be the same size to me. 

Edited by Heraclea
  • Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

No one has given this guy alternatives yet for money. I left before IO and sets were on live. When I came back I was farming Uni council mission. Finally after a year I started to think "there has to be a better way." Bam quick 10 min video on youtube  teaching how to use your reward merits to make million and I never was strap for cash again.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtTk0hsVrzc

This guy teaches how to do it at lvl 1 to skip the exploration badges to get your first merit start at  15 min and watch the processes.  Once you know this you can run anything and make million  go to DA each mission is 2 merits or get a group do some speed TF get more merit and every other one get a purple recipe and craft it make 20 mil.   When I need a break I farm but its for fun not money.   

2. I have no idea what you mean +4x8 is breeze on my main on my alt with no sets but a good combo only SO still can take +4x8  but bad combo and no sets are not meant to do this.

3.. Only IO that are super hard to find are pvp IO because not as many people pvp

4. 30 min of YouTube helps a lot, but build and combos come with experiance your first toon will never be as good as you last toon that every game. I look back at some of my old combo and go what was I thinking.

Best of luck once you figure out the reward merits trick you don't have to farm but it will take time to craft and sell took me about 6  hrs  converting to make a billion but it is so worth it in the end.

Edited by Ironscarlet

I will agree that the Incarnate system is pretty awful. There are some cool and useful powers there. But the crap you need to do in order to get them is confusing at first, especially when there are a good chunk of Incarnate components that are basically worthless, and even after you have it all figured out the effort involved is more tedious and annoying than challenging. The rewards are pretty good for the amount of effort, but they basically make it easier to play a game that is already pretty easy.

I would DEARLY love to know the name of the AE missions you claim that a full team of Incarnates will wipe on. Usually the opposite is true. You have people soloing missions AE or otherwise, on +4/8. I could see some kind of fire farm like setting, but full of wandering groups of Carnies and malta. That could be pretty painful if the group contained anyone without serious status protections. But hard to believe 0/8 would do in a group of incarnates.

12 hours ago, MasThoven17 said:

End Game Problems:

1. Money. The only viable way to make money for end game IOs is to create a fire farmer. So you basically have to shelf your toon and play another toon so that you can buy sets for the toon you shelfed. This is all wrong. There should be a way to match the income of a fire farmer on our actual toons. Like give us an influence boost, like the xp boost, available at level 50. Or something...

2. Custom non-fire AE maps. Custom non-fire AE maps are the hardest content in the game. You can build one of these, and on regular +0/ 8 players, a full group of incarnates will wipe on the first group of mobs.

Here's the problem. Let's say you dumb your mobs down. Now your full group of incarnates can barely yet successfully kill the mobs on +0/8. The problem is, they get little to no exp/influence because it's not +4. You can not run these things on +4 unless you completely gimp the mobs. In which case, then you're right back to mindlessly aoe killing groups of mobs that hold little challenge.

There needs to be a way, so that when we create an AE map, with mobs that actually have lots of powers and actually pose a serious threat (and a fun fight), that we get xp & $ as if it was +4, Even though, we're running on +0 (because again,+4 under these conditions are impossible). 

3. IO sets and the Auction house. If your set is highly sought after, it's probably completely unavailable. I've been looking for the same IO for over a week... I'm 100% not against having a NPC vendor that sells every IO in the game. And I'm not talking about 100 merits for 1. That's extremely unreasonable.

4. The main problem with End Game for new players is that the moment you hit 50, you now have to Google for 8 hours to figure out how incarnates work, how IO Sets work, then you have to download a 3rd party software to measure IOs, now you're ready to go start a fire farmer so you can actually afford IO's...

This isn't a rant. This is just my experience and opinion on the topic: End Game. 

What's your in game global name?

I can relate, somewhat, regarding INF.  My first 4 50's here I used the double XP options in P2W.  So I too was using the Fire Farmer for those expensive items.  I've kind of gravitated to the Merit to Converter route since then though.  I'd rather badge hunt or run TFs for Merits than Fire Farm (but that's just me).  

Even if you somehow got to level 50 with no enhancements or inf, run a single mission on +0 x1 difficulty, ideally something involving an easy to fight villain group such as carnies or devouring earth. That should get you enough seed money to get started, as well as some drops you can use or sell for still more seed money. And hey, you're level 50. Enhancements aren't going to expire anymore, so feel free to buy SO enhancements to tide you over till you get better.

You don't need to farm for influence. I only farm to PL characters for the most part. Most of my characters have been slotted by playing Incarnate trials and TF's. You don't need much influence when you have thousands of reward merits. 

Edited by Corruption

one ITF run nets me around 10million inf. Usually there's 3-4 heroes that carry the team through these anyways so being under slotted wont be a problem for you.r team.

10million gets me 3-4 attuned set IOs.

I sell any drops I don't want

saving the reward merits for higher priced IOs (LoTG, Purple, PvP)

after a few of these you should be unlocking incarnates, which will greatly improve your power.

once you fully max one hero, you shouldn't have any problem with INF for your alts.

Assuming you got to 50 with no Inf due to PLing with double xp, go to the nearest Wentworths or just type /ah. Once you've done that sell any orange and yellow salvage you can't use, post it for cheap and you'll sell quickly. And since the market is blind, meaning the lowest sale price goes to the highest bidder, you should make bank. Go through your recipes. Are there any set recipes you don't care about? Sell those too. With the funds you just gained you have a few options. The first one is that you can buy the mats needed and make some generic IO enhancements to flesh out your build for now. You can do a full set of level 25 generic IO fairly cheap after all. Alternatively you can go to the enhancement vendor for your origin in Paragrine Island and buy a set of level 50 SO. Either way, you're good to go with no additional grinding needed. You have all the power you need for any of the regular TFs, a Hami raid, or most of the other endgame content. You wont be ready for the harder incarnate trials, yet. But it'll come in time.

So, now what? Unlock your Incarnate status so you can start working on that. Start running missions/task forces/raids to get your incarnate salvage/threads. And while you're doing that you'll naturally be getting plenty of in-game currency to start crafting/buying set IO. Remember that buying the recipes is often cheaper then buying the already crafted enhancement.

53 minutes ago, Drazah Krad said:

one ITF run nets me around 10million inf. Usually there's 3-4 heroes that carry the team through these anyways so being under slotted wont be a problem for you.r team.

10million gets me 3-4 attuned set IOs.

I sell any drops I don't want

saving the reward merits for higher priced IOs (LoTG, Purple, PvP)

after a few of these you should be unlocking incarnates, which will greatly improve your power.

once you fully max one hero, you shouldn't have any problem with INF for your alts.

Why you keep saying Hero?  I mostly run Rogue. My main is a Rogue.  Rogues are more money focused and better able to address this topic anyways. Hero? GTFO Hero? Bah

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MasThoven17 said:

Dear Abby,

I power-leveled to 50 and made my own fire farmer, but I realized it's boring.  I don't understand IO set bonuses, my inf* generation feels anemic and all of the other player-generated content is too difficult.  What should I do?

Sincerely,

MasThoven17

Dear MasThoven17,

It's going to be hard, and you're going to cry a lot at first, but you have to break up with Architect Entertainment.  He isn't helping you, he isn't there for you and, I'm sorry, hon, he doesn't love you.  Remember that you're a strong, independent woman who "don't need no" fire farm to live.  And that's what you'll do when you walk out that door.  Live.  Finally and completely.  There's a whole world of quality content out there, waiting to be discovered.  New and equally rewarding ways to generate inf*.  Chances to stop and read those IO set descriptions and apply a tiny bit of very basic math, so you don't have to use one of those third-party tools common to modern MMOs if you don't want to.

You've taken the first step, asking for help.  Now take another, and another after that, and keep taking those steps until you've walked out that AE door and started down the road to true happiness with a better companion, one who will always be there for you and nurture you.  Eventually, you'll look back on this and realize how much happier you are without him, and how much you should appreciate what a tremendous gift you gave yourself when you stopped grinding fire farms and started growing, as a player, a person and a woman.

Get out there and show Paragon City and the Rogue Isles what you're really made of.  You can do it.

Love,

Abby's Stand-in

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

16 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Dear MasThoven17,

It's going to be hard, and you're going to cry a lot at first, but you have to break up with Architect Entertainment.  He isn't helping you, he isn't there for you and, I'm sorry, hon, he doesn't love you.  Remember that you're a strong, independent woman who "don't need no" fire farm to live.  And that's what you'll do when you walk out that door.  Live.  Finally and completely.  There's a whole world of quality content out there, waiting to be discovered.  New and equally rewarding ways to generate inf*.  Chances to stop and read those IO set descriptions and apply a tiny bit of very basic math, so you don't have to use one of those third-party tools common to modern MMOs if you don't want to.

You've taken the first step, asking for help.  Now take another, and another after that, and keep taking those steps until you've walked out that AE door and started down the road to true happiness with a better companion, one who will always be there for you and nurture you.  Eventually, you'll look back on this and realize how much happier you are without him, and how much you should appreciate what a tremendous gift you gave yourself when you stopped grinding fire farms and started growing, as a player, a person and a woman.

Get out there and show Paragon City and the Rogue Isles what you're really made of.  You can do it.

Love,

Abby's Stand-in

Congratulations, you just won the Internet.

Its actually cheaper to use your merits to buy Enhancement Converters, then just sell the converters for 80-100k. 

You can make hundreds of millions this way just soloing arcs to 50 at +0,x1

As stated, there are other ways.  Coh is actually pretty forgiving money wise compared to a lot of games    

Edited by Haijinx
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Its actually cheaper to use your merits to buy Enhancement Converters, then just sell the converters for 80-100k. 

You can make hundreds of millions this way just soloing arcs to 50 at +0,x1

As stated, there are other ways.  Coh is actually pretty forgiving money wise compared to a lot of games    

Not to mention the economy on live where a single enhancement could go for over a billion inf. Now it's hard to spend a billion on an entire build. 

I ignored IO sets until 50 on my first char but did use the suggested 'convert reward merits to items like converters' for the AH and a few Summer Blockbuster runs (well, probably 10+ because I enjoy it) and was able to probably overpay on a moderate build northwards of 200 million inf with cash left over for other expenses thanks to a moderate mix of TFs, solo story arcs, and group play.

Now this certainly wasn't the fastest way to fifty, or the most powerful along the way, but the other chars should be set because the inf rate at 50 is pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, Corruption said:

Not to mention the economy on live where a single enhancement could go for over a billion inf. Now it's hard to spend a billion on an entire build. 

Of course, that economy developed because at level 50 you keep getting more and more inf and had nothing to spend it on until the Inventions system was added. People would hold costume contests regularly and give away billions of Inf just because they had nothing better to do with it. And would replace everything they gave away within a TF or two.

1 hour ago, Corruption said:

It could actually go over the 2 billion inf cap, where people had to store bids on the market to have enough to afford it.

18 hours ago, MasThoven17 said:

End Game Problems:

1. Money. The only viable way to make money for end game IOs is to create a fire farmer. So you basically have to shelf your toon and play another toon so that you can buy sets for the toon you shelfed.

You are mistaken.  DRAMATICALLY so.

Back on live, at the time of shutdown, I tracked my money in a spreadsheet.  Not so that I knew which character had money, but so I knew which characters had room to hold more.  I had 57 billion influence at shutdown.  How much was from farming?  I'd estimate about 1-2% at most.  I would clear a Council map with my fire/kin once or twice per month for variety.  Farming bored me.

I had thousands upon thousands of reward merits.  In fact, I tracked how many Ironblade earned in total - 8597.  And he spent a bit over 2500.

And how did I amass this wealth?  By playing the game.  In particular, I enjoy task forces and trials.  Back on live, I ran over 600 TFs or trials in some years.

Your point #2 is of little concern as AE is a niche activity.

Point #3 circles back to your #1 and is just as wrong.

Point #4 is also wrong.  My "third party app" for figuring out IO's is Microsoft Excel (which I use for every game I play, from EQ2 to Minecraft to CoH).  I love Excel.

The Incarnate system isn't that complicated.  In a way, it's like IO's - you can get as far into the weeds AS YOU WANT.  If you want to be a key player on iTrials and TF Master runs, then knock yourself out.  If you just want to upgrade your character with a kick-ass build, that's pretty cheap and easy.

Now, I get that you end by saying this is not a rant and I agree, it isn't.  You also say it's your "experience and opinion", but you make many statements of fact, like "The only viable way to make money for end game IOs is to create a fire farmer." which are FACTUALLY INCORRECT.  You're certainly welcome to your opinion.  So perhaps this is the only way YOU have found to buy end-game IO's.  That doesn't make it THE only way.

I fully recognize that the way I play is not the only way to play.  My girlfriend uses Mids Hero Planner (or Pine? whatever is is now) for her IO planning.  I just made a fire/fire brute for farming because she wanted to farm and felt it would be more fun together.  So I don't have any problem with farming per se - I just find solo farming boring.  So I made more inf than I could ever spend by other methods.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Pit one foot in front of the other. Soon you,ll be walking out that doooor. Put one foot in front of the other....

okay flashback to mr frostmeister over. Whew

Dude, you need to up your game.

Firstly, I think you mean Snow Miser.

But that song is actually from 'Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town' from a scene with Kris Kringle and the Winter Warlock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

To be fair, I thought the "Put one foot in front of the other" reference was from the elf in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  I had to search for it.  I just knew it wasn't Snow Miser.

oh my.. seems to be a good bit of piling on. Note that the original poster plays the game with their kid and is likely not super hardcore. (I looked at some previous posts)

I would invite some of those with particularly harsh replies to re-read the original post.

Understand that the post could represent the impression folks get on what to do or how to play when joining this incarnation of CoX.

If one solely had this forum and whatever the reddthing is as sources of information..

it's easy to see how farming to 50 and finding one's self broke, running high level missions that their character can't survive. That just doesn't sound fun.

Not everyone is adept at diving into the numbers, searching the forums, wading through hype, or leaning on years of experience in CoX. Kudos to those who are, and to those who excel at this game, you are special.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 minutes ago, Troo said:

oh my.. seems to be a good bit of piling on. Note that the original poster plays the game with their kid and is likely not super hardcore. (I looked at some previous posts)

I can't play at all and I know more about the current state of the game, AH, AE, Incarnate process, farming situation, etc.  And if the OP is old enough to have loin fruit, he/she had better be grown up enough to handle a little abrasiveness over his/her willful ignorance, and do what he/she expects the larva to do - learn from it.

• Confused 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

@Luminara I get that. Definitely some room for coaching them up.

I see potential room for helping new players overall not just this one case.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum