Good Secondary to pair with Energy Primary

Giocondi

Hello folks,

I'm getting an itch to play energy blaster for those amazing visuals and sound effects I remember so fondly. Given all the changes since live, I am looking for a good secondary with endurance recovery toggle and that keeps me at range. The two sets that look promising to me were time and, strangely enough, trick arrow. Anyone have experience with a secondary they used on their NRG blaster and absolutely love it?

Thanks,

For End Rec toggles, Temporal Manipulation and Tactical Arrow are your best choices.  One of my mains is Energy/Temporal (see sig), and I also have Archery/Tactical and Fire/Tactical blasters.  I play both without any of the bow powers (except the T1, which is unavoidable -- and useful in a pinch): the toggles and passives alone make Tactical Arrow worthwhile for any blaster build.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Here's my current build, if you're interested.  I won't claim it's perfect, but it works for me.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rathstar: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 4: Time Stop -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Rchg(11), Lck-%Hold(11), Lck-Rchg/Hold(13), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(17)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(21), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(21), ExcCnt-Stun%(23)
Level 10: Chronos -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), Ksm-ToHit+(25)
Level 16: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(34), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 24: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(37), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(39)
Level 28: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 32: Nova -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 38: Time Lord -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46), ImpSki-Status(46)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Time Shift -- SphIns-%ToHit(A)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7), Prv-Absorb%(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

I think that the main strength of Energy Blast (other than the visuals, granted) is its ability to push up Recharge with the use of Force Feedback procs. This means that I look at what set would have excellent powers on longer recharges (preferably ranged), in order to take advantage of the Recharge.

Actually, TA is one, though I look at getting Glue and ESD Arrows up faster. Other options that benefit well are Mental Manipulation (faster Drain Psyche), Atomic Manipulation (several good powers although some are PBAoE), and maybe Martial Combat (I'm not sure how good getting Burst of Speed up faster is, but it could be an interesting build).

Edited by Coyote
fixed powerset name

Me, I dig going punchless /Energy.  Build Up and Power Boost are nice, but the real prize here is Energize, which gives you a massive endurance discount, a large regeneration bonus, and a little shot of health.  It's easy to perma- as well.

My En/En floats around with a -60% endurance discount; I have 119 endurance recovering at 3.5/s,  and consuming 0.38 endurance/s with Hover, Tough, Weave, Maneuvers and Sprint active.  Even the Hasten crash doesn't drop me below 100 endurance, and that's while firing full throttle as it is happening.  When I tap Boost, Energize hits me for a 333 heal, and I can do that every 31s.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I love my En/Dev. I like the secondaries with toggle sustains and cloaking device hits the spot for me. With that and Stamina slotted up I'm sitting around with >4 end/sec not counting performance shifter.

It's a more passive secondary that let's me hang back and blast. Trip Mine is fun but Gun Drone and Time Bomb are shit. 

11 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

/Energy doesn't need a End Rec Toggle. 

Because Energize is awesome and easy to perm.

That is all. 

Truth!  I also play an Energy/Energy Blaster, and I keep Energize on powexec_auto.

@Rathstar

8 hours ago, Giocondi said:

Kind of a dark horse but I noticed ice also has the endurance recovery aura. Anyone have ant /Ice experience?

All the Blaster Secondaries have endurance management powers (which we've taken to calling "sustain" powers). With regards to Ice's in particular, it's excellent, a top contender for best overall sustain power. On top of the recovery and +Absorb it gives, it's a massive 30-foot radius PBAoE slow, which will keep enemies from getting to you. With Energy Blast's knockback, some enemies may find it literally impossible to get in melee range of you.

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

All the Blaster Secondaries have endurance management powers (which we've taken to calling "sustain" powers). With regards to Ice's in particular, it's excellent, a top contender for best overall sustain power. On top of the recovery and +Absorb it gives, it's a massive 30-foot radius PBAoE slow, which will keep enemies from getting to you. With Energy Blast's knockback, some enemies may find it literally impossible to get in melee range of you.

If you slow them and then knock them back do they sail back in slow mo?

23 hours ago, Vanden said:

Add to that putting an Ice Patch down and the few that do manage to get to you flop around waiting for you to kick them away.

One thing about the Ice Sustain is that with Energy, a 30ft aura is something you might regularly throw them out of so it's not quite as good as for primary sets made for work up-close. Still good, though.

So if you want something a bit like ice patch Fire Epic's Bonfire with KB to KD slotted in it will scorch them and the ass they sat in on.

• Like 1

The 30ft aura on Chilling Embrace is the awesomest thing in the game. When I first read that number I thought it was wrong.

30ft is huge. For reference, that's 5ft wider than the Ice Control aura power Arctic Air. 5ft doesn't sound like much, but looking at the area of a circle:

25ft radius = circle with area 1963.5
30ft radius = circle with area 2827.43

So, measured as a circle, the area of Chilling is 44% bigger than a 25ft power.

Of course these powers are actually spheres and not circles. If you decide to Hover a lot, that 44% bigger translates into a lot of extra area.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, Rathulfr said:

Here's my current build, if you're interested.  I won't claim it's perfect, but it works for me.

Reveal hidden contents

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rathstar: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(5), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 4: Time Stop -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Rchg(11), Lck-%Hold(11), Lck-Rchg/Hold(13), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(17)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(19), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(21), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(21), ExcCnt-Stun%(23)
Level 10: Chronos -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), Ksm-ToHit+(25)
Level 16: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(34), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 24: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(37), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(37), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(39)
Level 28: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 32: Nova -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/Rchg(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 38: Time Lord -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46), ImpSki-Status(46)
Level 41: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Time Shift -- SphIns-%ToHit(A)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(7), Prv-Absorb%(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Now i am making an Energy Blaster with this build lol. I am ever searching for a Blaster i like. On live Energy was as close as i got (nrg/nrg) and i incarnated that.  Havent found something i love on Homecoming yet

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

Now i am making an Energy Blaster with this build lol. I am ever searching for a Blaster i like. On live Energy was as close as i got (nrg/nrg) and i incarnated that.  Havent found something i love on Homecoming yet

Enjoy!  Let me know if/how you improve on it: I'm always willing to learn new things.  Thanks!

@Rathstar

• 2 weeks later
On 1/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, Neogumbercules said:

I love my En/Dev. I like the secondaries with toggle sustains and cloaking device hits the spot for me. With that and Stamina slotted up I'm sitting around with >4 end/sec not counting performance shifter.

It's a more passive secondary that let's me hang back and blast. Trip Mine is fun but Gun Drone and Time Bomb are shit. 

I’m leveling a Energy/Devices Goldside right now. It seems pretty good so far.

Level 50 Energy/Devices here, so here's a few thoughts...

- end is not an issue. Even cycling your attacks, running all leadership, targeting drone, field operative , hover and hasten. You won't run out of end.

- trip mine gets a bad rep, but laying down 6 or 8 mines, then pulling a group to them? Damn, it's fun. And never gets old.

- toe bomb if you want. You're stealthy with Field operative.  Helps even more on teams since someone else will have aggro

- gun drone is so so. I keep it summoned all the time, just dont expect huge numbers from it.  It does so-so damage.On a team fighting an AV, the damage will add up however.

- insta snipe all the time.

-  +to hit and accuracy galore! Nothing's worse than missing!

- the ppl I run with hate KB, as most do, so i slotted the KB->KD procs in my powers

-can achieve decent defenses and perma hasten 

-caltrops BEGS for procs 

- field operative is awesome

- and as with all Energy blasters, the BOOM is awesome