Bring Prestige back

Illy

5 hours ago, VileTerror said:

I mean, lest we forget . . . most grind is designed specifically to pad out subscription time, back in the old paradigm.  These sorts of things were never meant to be enjoyed by a rational, sane person.  They were meant to inject a sunk-cost to keep people invested and spending money.

That's the hard held belief of many.  It's even partially true.  What people forget, willingly so because it undercuts their memeified version of reality, is the rest of the story...  It's well known that people value things they have earned as opposed to simply being given.  (That's why so many people value badges and levels - they're visible markers of accomplishment and status.)

That being said however...  I'll take a soft pass.  I ground for years with my small, personal, SG to get even the most minimally functional base.  And even then, a good part of the prestige I spent came from the free Prestige the Dev's handed out.

Build a system where the prestige costs are markedly less, and you get refunds when you delete an item, and it might be worth considering.  (The devil is as always in the details.)

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

15 hours ago, Illy said:

And it did a great deal to reduce the superfluity and irrelevance of Supergroups in a very easy game. 

From my perspective, this is completely and utterly untrue.  Supergroups are about people who like to group together.  Having to recruit random prestige mules so you could afford to buy a desk for your base totally detracted from that.  There is nothing whatsoever preventing anyone from joining a group here - not having prestige is not a barrier to entry.

What we have now is infinitely better than what we had on live.  Hard as possible no from me on this too.

• Like 2

Prestige should stay as it is; a non factor. 

So much content was locked away in live, or rather concentrated into collectives. Like 'master looter' raid rules, this results in exactly the wrong type of people assuming influence over many play aspects of others. 

Won't turn on the inf tax? Booted. Won't contribute at rate xyz? Booted. 

tumblr_inline_nqh1fhs9991r4t349_500.gif.6be29f986c9f86f22e04070395a325c8.gif

No thank you. You'll not put me in a treadmill of your imagining, brought about by game mechanics that allow it. 

Focus instead on creativity unbounded, and enjoying your creations with as small or large a group as you might elect to. 

Edited by honoroit

20 minutes ago, Illy said:

I don't think you know what that word means. You keep using it to describe anyone you disagree with. 

Actually just like @NNDeepdish I just have to look at your track record to tell.

Usual tells are burner accounts like yours that pop up, cause controversy, and then attack anyone who calls you out.

Edited by Tyrannical

• City Council

Two things: firstly, disagreeing and trolling are not the same thing. Secondly, bases will remain free in perpetuity, but prestige may (emphasis on the may) return in some other form in the future so people can show off how great their SG is, though judging by the responses here, there isn't even tremendous interest in that. Perhaps, perhaps not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

1 hour ago, GM Widower said:

Two things: firstly, disagreeing and trolling are not the same thing. 

Don't think there was a disagreement anyway, I actually made a post supporting the idea of prestige/base PvP being reintroduced somehow. 

It wasn't until @NNDeepdish pointed out a few posting habits that I figured we're probably having our collective legs pulled here :classic_tongue:

Edited by Tyrannical

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I didn't actually disagree with the idea, I actually made a post supporting the idea of prestige/base PvP being reintroduced somehow.

Its the antagonism that @NNDeepdish picked up on that leads me to think we're having our collective legs pulled here.

I would still drop it.  Illy has behaved just fine in this thread and I'm not curious about what they've done in others.

That said, @Illy, I do think you should check out Rebirth. A lot of the old hurdles were intentionally left in place (I could be wrong, but I think they even went out of their way to reinstate some) over there.  It's definitely more of an "earn it" environment from what I've read.

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

you should check out Rebirth. A lot of the old hurdles were intentionally left in place (I could be wrong, but I think they even went out of their way to reinstate some) over there.  It's definitely more of an "earn it" environment from what I've read.

Does Rebirth still use the original base editor too? I'm having chilling flashbacks of stacking desks and clipping floor tiles to move things on a vertical axis :classic_tongue:

...In which case, building the base was work enough, even without a prestige grind! :classic_laugh:

Edited by Tyrannical

Since nobody else has posted it yet, I will.

/jranger

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

20 hours ago, Illy said:

It made superbase building a journey 🙂 And it did a great deal to reduce the superfluity and irrelevance of Supergroups in a very easy game. 

Base building was one of the fews things we could "work" toward! Coupled with a return of base pvp, it would be a fun feature. 

spacer.png

Seriously, prestige can go straight to hell and stay there, along with anything resembling it.

Edited by Black Zot

4 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Two things: firstly, disagreeing and trolling are not the same thing. Secondly, bases will remain free in perpetuity, but prestige may (emphasis on the may) return in some other form in the future so people can show off how great their SG is, though judging by the responses here, there isn't even tremendous interest in that. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Gonna throw my hat in as someone that likes the idea of prestige coming back in some way for show off purposes. The people that like it can do it, the ones that don't care can ignore it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Gonna throw my hat in as someone that likes the idea of prestige coming back in some way for show off purposes. The people that like it can do it, the ones that don't care can ignore it.

I propose a giant statue in Atlas that uses the phasing tech to display a hologram of the highest-prestige character of the leader of the SG with the most prestige on the shard.  Redside there's a similar statue on Mercy Island, but shortly after every shard restart Lord Recluse arrives and smashes it up, so anyone wanting a screenshot will need to be quick.

• Haha 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

20 hours ago, Illy said:

Nobody else is bothered by the fact that the game has basically been altered into being a massive free-reins simulator? Everything is just given to the player now. Virtually unlimited double XP, merits, influence, and base items. 

No. I'm adult with a family, home, other hobbies and a full time job. I don't feel the need to ALSO work for my fun. 

The early days of MMO's really did a number on people, tricking them into thinking grinding was some worthwhile activity as opposed to a way to pad out subscriptions. I don;t know if its just Stockholme Syndrome, or some misplaced Puritan work ethic, but I'd prefer less drudgery in my leisure time. I think Everquest is still around if you really want to grind faction to grind keys to camp mobs to try and get a particular drop that 20 of the other herded cats will also want to roll on. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

The early days of MMO's really did a number on people, tricking them into thinking grinding was some worthwhile activity as opposed to a way to pad out subscriptions.

This can’t be repeated often enough.

I’m just gonna put the link here to where someone who’d worked in the industry explained how prestige content tied to grind was literally designed to prey upon players and get them to part with their money.

And if you look at a lot of the last content released by Paragon Studios, you could see the pressure by the higher ups to increase profits by any means necessary because those last arcs were practically commercials for the new power sets and costume options you could purchase using Paragon Points (i.e. by spending real money; either the stipend granted with a subscription or direct purchase).

Homecoming doesn’t have that pressure because of its non-profit focus. This allows it to not just be a place to play the game we love again, but to embrace practices that are psychologically healthier for the players who engage with it; where your worth is found in what you create and in how you help your fellow players, not in grinding for virtual items to show off how much better at grinding you are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Rename it to the Enhanced Prestige Elite Explanatory Number and have it display in big letters over the SG owner's head?

I see what you did there.  🤭

12 hours ago, GM Widower said:

I vote for @Grouchybeastsuggestion.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

15 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I will have to post my proposed "e-peen" mechanic and the ways that vet levels over 100, badges, and SG prestige could be used to increase its size.

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Illy said:

I don't think you know what that word means. You keep using it to describe anyone you disagree with. 

I'd say it's perfectly arbitrary, which fits the name.

ty·ran·ni·cal

/təˈranək(ə)l/

adjective

exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way.

In any case, we've already heard that base construction and upkeep will be free, which is good. Now that it was brought up by @GM Widower I'm somewhat interested in what some other ideas are for prestige, though. Maybe this would be a good thread to discuss that instead.

• Confused 1