Multiboxing Policy Update

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello everyone, minor update to the Multiboxing Policy in our Code of Conduct:

An exception to this rule is Hamidon raid zones (The Hive & The Abyss) which have a limited population cap. No multiboxing is allowed in these zones. Breaking this rule may result in all of your characters being removed from the zone and short-term suspensions being issued for repeat offenders.

TL;DR: No multiboxing in Hami raids. Or else.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
9 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

my wife and I play from the same house. will we risk being punished because we are off of the same cable modem?

Please note that this policy does not apply to groups of players simply playing from the same home/network. It only applies to individuals playing multiple accounts on their own.

No.

Edited by GM Widower
  • Like 2
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Sincere question: What about low activity raids where having the extra bodies can help? Have had that happen a few times on Reunion in the past few months [when the raids even happened] when we've only had 20-30 players on and still needed a taunter or two for yellows or more mez powers for greens.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• City Council
3 hours ago, LQT said:

Sincere question: What about low activity raids where having the extra bodies can help? Have had that happen a few times on Reunion in the past few months [when the raids even happened] when we've only had 20-30 players on and still needed a taunter or two for yellows or more mez powers for greens.

This is a good point - I don't see this as a problem. We will only actually action an instance of multiboxing in these zones if you are causing problems (ie: filling a space that other people could use). If you're in a raid of 20 people and you bring a second account to help, you aren't actually causing any harm.

So essentially: Don't worry about multiboxing if the zone isn't full - and obviously, if the zone fills up, you must remove your extra accounts. We'll need to figure out a good way to update the wording to reflect this at a later date.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

This is a good point - I don't see this as a problem. We will only actually action an instance of multiboxing in these zones if you are causing problems (ie: filling a space that other people could use). If you're in a raid of 20 people and you bring a second account to help, you aren't actually causing any harm.

So essentially: Don't worry about multiboxing if the zone isn't full - and obviously, if the zone fills up, you must remove your extra accounts. We'll need to figure out a good way to update the wording to reflect this at a later date.

Much appreciated for the sake of clarity under [rare] circumstances like these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• 2 weeks later

Do the Server Status 'glyphs' on the server selection screen correspond to a certain  number of logged-in users?  Any chance THAT could be updated so each 'star' or whatever represents, say, 300 users, and if a server is at 4 stars or less, multiboxing is allowed under ToS?  Or some other number that is easy for the player to discern before just blowing past the server select screen and doing whatever they want?

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

48 minutes ago, roleki said:

Do the Server Status 'glyphs' on the server selection screen correspond to a certain  number of logged-in users?  Any chance THAT could be updated so each 'star' or whatever represents, say, 300 users, and if a server is at 4 stars or less, multiboxing is allowed under ToS?  Or some other number that is easy for the player to discern before just blowing past the server select screen and doing whatever they want?

Look at the top of every forum page, there's a Server Status link which gives tells you how many players are currently online.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Which is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but to be compliant with X, I shouldn't have to refer to Y when there's already something right in the client that tells me whether a server is lightly loaded, medium loaded, or overloaded.  Just make those little icons translate to a number we all can relate to and voila, it's all in one place.

• Like 1

Here, let me help:
"If the indicator is less than red or there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once." edited (credit @VileTerror)

"If the server load indicator is less than red (or there are less than 1500 accounts logged into a shard) players may use up to three accounts at once."

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, roleki said:

there's already something right in the client that tells me whether a server is lightly loaded, medium loaded, or overloaded.

You're absolutely correct, the login screen tells you the server load - but that's only loosely related to the server population.  A hundred people standing around Ms. Liberty is a lower load on the server than the same hundred people being scattered in twenty instances.  That's why you have to refer to a different place to get the required information.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

23 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

You're absolutely correct, the login screen tells you the server load - but that's only loosely related to the server population.  A hundred people standing around Ms. Liberty is a lower load on the server than the same hundred people being scattered in twenty instances.  That's why you have to refer to a different place to get the required information.

Then tie it back to hardware.  This isn't rocket science.  

1 hour ago, roleki said:

Then tie it back to hardware.  This isn't rocket science.  

We went to the moon* on the equivalent of a TI-81. Rocket science is no longer that much of a stretch.

*lol, we didn't go the moon. Francis Ford Coppola faked that, c'mon, don't be a sheep, we all know space travel isn't possible, idiot

20 hours ago, Nafsmar said:
On 2/14/2020 at 5:26 PM, Troo said:

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on..

Ground control to Major Tom...

(ten, nine, eight, seven, six)
Commencing countdown, engines on (five, four, three)

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, RialVestro said:

Is that even a thing people do? I can barely manage to run one account in a raid without crashing, two would be damn near impossible. (at least with my computer anyway...)

Very much so. I've run 2 accounts at the same time to help get the V-day event stuff out the way quicker. Have a 2nd account with a stalker I use to ghost the 2nd mission from both contacts after using the 1st account to clear up to the named npc with the key. By inviting after the key is found it means no boss mobs and a fairly quick clear when doing this for multiple alts.

Also know quite a few that have either farmer toons running their own thing while playing a main/other account or even running 3 accounts at the same time in their own mini team.