Gamma not adjustable with dual monitor setup

Cappy

I was asked by support to post this in the bug forum. I'm posting the text from the support topic to give a bit of information and background. The gist of the issue is that after the January 23rd update, my in-game display was very dark. I normally adjust the gamma to account for this, but the gamma adjustment wasn't working at all. After some troubleshooting and trying suggestions from people in the help channel, I took a stab in the dark and unhooked my 2nd monitor. Once I did this, I was able to adjust the gamma and brighten the game. I tried hooking up my 2nd monitor and it presented the same issue - a dark game with no ability to adjust it. I'm looking for a possible solution that will allow me to adjust the gamma and still have my 2nd monitor in use.

Previous information posted in Support:

Windows: Since the last update, the game is very dark. I used to adjust the in game brightness by using the gamma setting in Menu Options Graphics and Audio, but this setting doesn't seem to have any effect at all now.

I was able to resolve the issue (sort of). I tried everything that I and several dozen people in the help channel of Torchbearer could think of. I run a PC with a dual monitor setup and on a whim decided to unhook one of the monitors. As soon as I did that, everything was back to normal. I don’t know where the issue is exactly, but the brightness of the game and gamma adjustment work properly when I’m on a single monitor. If I plug in the second monitor, the game screen gets very dark and the gamma adjustment doesn’t do anything.

My dual monitor setup uses 2 different monitors, but they are both the same size. I think that might have something to do with it. I’m going to try using the exact same monitors and see if it all works, but it will take me some time to get another monitor.

I will also report I lost ability to control gamma with slider. Also dual monitor setup, mine are different, 2 different sizes.

I've been able to fix my brightness issues I was having by using windows color management, and then re-calibrating my monitor. I am unsure "bug" was due to upgrading to the latest build of windows 10 (1909), or if it was from upgrading CoH.

I haven't tried unhooking a monitor, since I've solved my issue with brightness.

Using:

Settings>System>Display>Advanced display settings>Display adapter properties for Display (X)>Color Management (Tab) - Color Management

Color Management>Advanced (Tab)>Calibrate Display

Alternatively you can:

Control Panel> Color Management> Advanced (Tab)> Calibrate Display

Follow Directions.... My screen is just as it was in windows, and the game when dark is looking fine.

Would be nice to have gamma control back tho.

Edited by SuperActionMan

Can you not use the GPU's drivers to adjust each monitor independently (out of game)?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Yes, but my previous config was application controlled. Also when I did my 1909 upgrade, it felt darker. So I just did calibration in windows. Though, shouldn't have lost gamma correction in game. I chose to leave it application controlled. In case there is a bug with CoH, that will effect gamma slider for dual monitor.

I'm hoping it will be functional again, but until then I've managed to fix my brightness issues in windows, and in game by using windows color management. I am unaware if I had a profile there b4 I did my upgrade, so I very well could of been my upgrade. I dunno.

Edited by SuperActionMan

• 3 years later