Get rid of ALL Agro caps

QuiJon

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

you have NPC's that just stand there oblivious to your existence, even though you are a few short feet away laying waste to their buddies. Suddenly, after laying waste to some of them, all of a sudden they realize you are there and attack you.

Well, you were just killing Bob. They didn't like him. But then you went after one of their friends.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, Sailboat said:

If I am understanding you correctly, I think you're talking about increasing enemy perception ranges, not the aggro cap, which as I understand it refers to the number of enemies any one player, such as the tank, can be attacked by and hold the attention of.  Maybe we're talking apples and oranges here?

What I am saying is that I want any enemy that can see me to notice me (or whoever) and be able to attack them regardless of if that player already has maxed out on the enemies attacking him or her. However POWERS that taunt, have target caps. The actual taunt powers, the auras that taunt, etc. Only hit a specific number of enemies. I don't want that to change. So ultimately what I am looking for is the actual need to manage a team, manage the amount of enemies you engage, and plan an attack on any room to prevent a team wipe or being over powered. 

Right now with the level of defenses that most ATs can achieve, even the squishier ATs can take several hits and be perfectly fine. Hard targets like Tankers, Brutes, Scrappers can take incoming damage from entire spawns of +4/8 mobs with no care. I would like to see that difficulty setting mean something again. However I don't believe that is achieved by simply starting to nerf powers, lower caps on def or resistances etc. I would like to see the game grow into what our characters have become. IMO the first step to that is to have the ability to agro a mob (by agro I mean to have them engage in combat with your team NOT be taunted to attack an specific enemy of the team) based on perception range. No enemy should just stand there and do nothing because a agro cap has been hit and so the game prevents them from attacking.  For instance, when the RWZ was added, doing that last mission of a LGTF took some planning. There were a ton of mobs in there. Plus AVs, and teams had to work there way around the room taking out mobs to get to the blinkies then run back to fight off the ambush and then do the next etc. Now with  our level of defenses because you can plan for really how many enemies might attack you at once, teams just run in. Every splits up and takes a blinky just stands around and lets the few mobs that keep attack them attack while they pummel AVs because it doesn't matter that the room has 300 enemies in it if only 20 or so are every going to attack at a  time. I would also like to see the settings of the difficutly slider changed. Perhaps have +4/8 be a bit harder, maybe a couple more bosses and Lts and a mess of minions more then it spawns now. 

Ultimately I would like to get back to the days when the slider meant something. When you had to figure out what a team could handle cause right now it is pretty much set it to max and don't ever look back by the end game. I am just looking for ways to make this happen by having the game grow up to meet us, rather then us be lowered to the game. 

15 hours ago, Greycat said:

A lack of aggro cap nearly made me leave the game out of boredom back in the day. Almost every mission was "Wait for tank to herd map, possibly with emp in tow. Wait for him to bring back to THIS SPOT and DO NOT MOVE. When the tank says so, one blaster can nuke. Next floor."

It was *dull.* Sure, you got to stand there and talk - but that was about it.

No thanks.

But seriously was that a agro cap issue or a lack of target caps on AOEs? I do remember those days, and I play now. We still live in a world were we are told to not act until the tank/brute has herded. It is just a smaller herd now. We still get told "hey don't use Immb until they are herded up" or "don't knock the enemys off the tanks herd" etc. The real issue back in the day was that with my Energyx2 blaster once that tanker herded the entire map into that garbage bin was that I waited for a fulcrum shift and then hit nova and alone I pretty much killed every minion and Lt on the map and likely took every boss down to like half his life. 

I am not advocating for removing or raising any target limits, just in that more enemies can be agroed at a time based on their perception range. I don't expect that these additional enemies will be able to be taunted to the tanker or brute in that it wille exceed his ability to "hit" them all with a taunt or punchvoke, meaning if what you want is more action from enemies beyond the attention given to a tanker, you in my thinking would get it if a tanker runs around drawing the attention of more mobs then he can personally keep the attention of. 

5 hours ago, QuiJon said:

So ultimately what I am looking for is the actual need to manage a team

The problem isn't the aggro caps, it is the group.  If they are limiting the casualties, of course the cap will kick in.  Add more baddies into the mix, it becomes a challenge when they run all over the place.

The problem is if you had 100 enemy and only a fraction are being herded at a time when someone says "Don't Immb" or you are limiting the casualties, aggro caps mean nothing if you got a bunch of beta wolves following the alpha.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

On 2/5/2020 at 8:36 AM, Klaleara said:

And an on-topic reply, that is useless, when the tank literally can't take aggro off of you...

Then manage your own agro or learn and build to survive the high level stuff you probably shouldn't be trying to run in the first place.

There's no reason with the game as it is today, for anyone to be complaining about difficulty, when...

1. There are multiple difficulty settings - tone it down if you can't handle it.

2. When there is a tank on your team - I mean really under extreme circumstances unless y'all are going straight up tropic thunder should THAT many enemies be getting past the tank and the REST of your team for y'all to not be able to dispatch any threat.

3. As easy as it is to IO out there's no reason they should be hitting you that hard in the first plave unless, again, you are trying to go full on tropic thunder.

Not trying to be difficult but as an avid tanker player, that doesn't even take taunt, I regularly play +4/8 and don't walk through a field of death unless someone isn't paying attention.

Now.... When I play scrapper, I go full on scrapper lock....  It's the most pure form of chaos.  I take no responsibility for what happens in those missions.  lol

Edited by Infinitum

On 2/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, kelika2 said:

I did not even read the post, only the headline.  And I have to say:

Fuck.  That.  Shit.

Tanks back then being cunts and herding entire maps for 10-15 minutes IS NOT FUN and as it is, I see my fair share of Brutes/Tanks trying to herd in various situations.  The 16 target limit is fun, includes the rest of the group and is not a stall for the rest of the team.  You, as the tank, might think not having an agro limit is fun but fuck that shit as a whole.  Going group-to-group is the way city of heroes needs to be.

You know what's even -better- than going group to group?

Two tanky-type characters rounding up separate squads of potential murder victims while the support frantically tries to keep them both standing pre-IOs.

I freaking -love- the chaotic enjoyment of that. Especially with DPS bouncing between the two groups trying to whittle them down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Corruption said:

I'd be interesting if this was added as a difficulty setting. I've been wanting more difficulty options that doesn't involve nerfing your character. 

a) Doesn't work that way.

b) It wouldn't increase the difficulty at all.

Once you hit 45% defense the amount of incoming damage is comically low. 1/10th normal (Same as 90% damage reduction). Removing the aggro cap would mean very little with that huge a constraint on damage throughput. Particularly once you add in Incarnate Level Shifts resulting in Level-Differences to damage output.

It would just result in the old "Herd 'em Up" style gameplay where everyone who isn't the tank has to sit by the door twiddling their thumbs for 20 minutes while he rounds up every enemy on the map and brings them to the entrance for mass slaughter.

3 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Sure it does. If you are taking more damage from more enemies then the mission is more difficult. Right now because of agro caps we can spawn a map at +4/8 playing solo and you can pretty much know depending on the enemy type you are fighting if your melee toon can handle it because of his particular build of resistances or defenses. And because you know that at any given time due to an agro cap that no more then X number of enemies will be attacking you at a time, no matter how many enemies happen to be in perception range of you. The agro cap works to become part of your over all defense. However if that entire large room in the office can all turn around and attack you at once, you ARE going to be taking more damage because enemies are not going to be dormant until their "turn" comes up.

Once you hit 45% defense the amount of incoming damage is comically low. 1/10th normal (Same as 90% damage reduction).

Again simply math, if the agro cap is 10, and they all attack with an attack that does 100 points of damage either by way of resistance or defense (and I know combo defenses exist but trying to keep it simple) you would essentially take 100 points of damage from 10 enemies with 90 percent resistances, or 100 points of damage from 1 enemies with 90 percent defense. (soft cap of 45).  That becomes a maximum. Because with the agro cap no more then 10 people can ever attack you. So now this becomes all your character has to over come. Even running a map like a farm map of the asteroid, no more then x number of enemies is ever attacking you at any given moment. However what if every mob on that map can suddenly attack you when they perceive you to be there? That cap goes from 10 or whatever to 100+ Now all damage that you suffer is multiplied by each enemy capable of attacking you. Yes the damage getting through per attack is no more, the sheer number of attacks is much higher though. And in many cases this might be even higher. Many sets have auras that function as defenses that have target caps. So like WP has a -tohitdebuff aura that applies in melee range. But it is going to cap out at like 10 or 12 enemies or something like that. Which means now any enemies over that level I don't get the added bonus of that -to hit against will be hitting me more often. Also for that set my regen caps out at a certain level of enemies in my range also, it doesn't continue to grow to accommodate having 50 extra enemies attacking me. etc. 

4 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

It would just result in the old "Herd 'em Up" style gameplay where everyone who isn't the tank has to sit by the door twiddling their thumbs for 20 minutes while he rounds up every enemy on the map and brings them to the entrance for mass slaughter.

And I can not say this might not be the case. However back in the day most of the time the tanker, scrapper lived through herding the map by way of having "support" normally maybe a bubbler, a tray of purples etc. This kept defenses capped that are otherwised capped now with IO abilities. Essentially as of right now, any well IOd tanker can already handle in many cases what a tanker back then did with a team and inspirations. There is really no way to prevent the door sitting. If people want to farm and want to herd they are going to do it, and are going to find teams to do it with them. What I am talking about it finding a way to make actual game play and TFs and such fun and challenging again. 

I can remember when Terra Volta was introduced and we were all jazzed because it finally meant we could respec our toons. Only to find out how freakin hard it was to begin with. As mad as I was at failing it, the point was it was able to be failed. I have toons now that can solo it. Because the game mechanics have not grown with the game. Spawn sizes have stayed mostly equal, enemies hit with the same accuracy and the damage damage level as they always did. And it really feels like the only things added to be of challenge just work on crappy mechanics like end drain or relying on things like Psi damage because of its lack of resistances in the game. 

To me unleashing the potential of the mobs being spawned in a more frenzied manner opens things up to being chaotic and hence more fun, requiring more players to be on their toes. You complain about boring for the weaker ATs but it already is. A tanker might be herding but he is running into a room, gathers a mob just about the right size that he can maintain control of, runs back to the team who mostly just in total safety of the taunter kills them without ever becoming a target themselves. Its boring. I want that tanker to either have to work more closely with his team or at minimum he can lead back a huge mob that once the squishies start to attack he will not be able to maintain taunt on everything, thus making it more fun and challenging for the entire team. And short of starting blanket power nerfs I can not think of another way to doing that then increasing the number of enemies we can fight at a time and perhaps maybe taking "incarnate" runs at older enemy groups to see if there is a way to make their own powers become more challenging. 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, NNDeepdish said:

Just feels like another increase difficulty thread in the guise of aggro caps. Again, there are other servers out there that have had the aggro caps removed. I see no need to mess with homecoming.

Hard No.

I agree. I do admit I would love to see a dumpster diving event as I never got to see the dumpster diving events as I  started playing Jan 2006.

4 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

a) Doesn't work that way.

Once you hit 45% defense the amount of incoming damage is comically low. 1/10th normal (Same as 90% damage reduction). Removing the aggro cap would mean very little with that huge a constraint on damage throughput. Particularly once you add in Incarnate Level Shifts resulting in Level-Differences to damage output.

a) Yes it does, it's programming.

b) Yes, it would.

I know how probability works, I'm not entirely sure you do. Besides, you're only talking about high end softcapped builds and even then it would still increase the difficulty.  Do you honestly believe a Blaster could easily herd the entire map of a Magisterium Trial without breaking a sweat?  Even Brutes on a fire farm with softcapped defense and capped resistance can succumb to RNG failure.

Also, I'm not sure it would necessarily result in people herding entire maps, especially if target caps remain the same.  A team standing around doing nothing for 1 minute, let alone 20 sounds highly inefficient.  It would be fun to test at least.

3 hours ago, Corruption said:

It would be fun to test at least.

Given that the devs here have stated that they don't have any plans on changing it and it would decrease rather than increase if they did, I think your best bet at testing it is to go to one of the other servers that has already removed the aggro cap and try it there.

Since there's already been a dev statement about it - two of them, actually - I'm not sure who you're trying to convince at this point. Replies to random forum posters isn't going to accomplish the goal if it is to get the aggro cap removed, you need to present a case that convinces the devs that are already against the idea with something more than "it would be fun."

17 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Because the game mechanics have not grown with the game. Spawn sizes have stayed mostly equal, enemies hit with the same accuracy and the damage damage level as they always did. And it really feels like the only things added to be of challenge just work on crappy mechanics like end drain or relying on things like Psi damage because of its lack of resistances in the game. 

You need to stop defending an idea that only you perceptive is the way to fix it as being the only way and at least see the point of view from others.  I did it once, stepped out of it by choice.  Other times I am  just coming off as an ass trying to tell people a solution to a problem, they don't like it, and want to keep debating on the merit of it; I see that it has merit but what future do you think the game has when it is run by player donations and a volunteer development team?  A slim future, a future but a very slim chance with it surviving month to month were it might take years to even look at it; there is no guarantee about it.  They need to take practical and quicker solution, instead of the constant debate they want to keep defending as we don't know if it will be here next month.

The game has not changed as you say, the players have gotten far too powerful.   Mechanics haven't change, just the player.

Do you think increasing the difficulty by increasing the numbers of random hits is gonna fix the problem?  It doesn't, it is still 50/50.  Flip a coin, flip it 100 times, 1000...the results will be the same.  Flip 2 coins at the same time, 10/100/1000 times...results will be very close to the single coin but off by a small margin (RNG).  Flipping 5-10 coins at once, sure the margin of chance (COMBINED) might be different by a huge degree....but it is still using the same mechanics of flipping a single coin to get a result (yes/no in a sense, does that single baddie in the herd hit or not); doesn't mean you will take 100 hits at once or 5 hit at the same time, RNG determines the chance and it could be a 45 minute difference when it takes affect from Zeus mode to stomping cockroach mode.  1 minute that tank is acting like a boss taking hits to the chin like a champ, 10 minutes later he is mostly still taking hits to the chin like a champ, once it starts cascading to chump mode is when it gets harder...RNG also determines in a predictable manner when the player is going to heal and the tank to pop a heal/res/def/heal power, increasing in numbers useless. (God I don't even think I make sense)

In a sense, shotgun blasting with numbers won't solve the problem.  The resists are still too higher to take the damage and allow the player to react, the defense too high avoid taking the hit in the first place especially for squishy who will kill them faster or lock them down (further making numbers useless if they are dead/not moving).  I think it was mentioned something like 101th hit is an auto hit after 100 whiffs, PER BADDIE (100 hits missed / 101 = auto hit, for a single NPC).  100 baddies, takes 10,100 hits to actually cascade into failure mode assuming everything is in a perfect world were the tank is not hit at all for 100 hits from 100 baddies for defense, resist will reduce the damage and by then everything will be dead. (Please correct me if I am wrong, my head hurts when jumping into the deep end of math and mechanics)

You have to make the player weaker or buff the enemy, numbers of the bad guys won't change anything.  Using your suggestion, the baddies need to apply a massive amount of -def followed by -res when they actually do hit for it to even be a challenge (as for the melee case since they getting the most attention).

16 hours ago, Corruption said:

Even Brutes on a fire farm with softcapped defense and capped resistance can succumb to RNG failure.

The thing about AE Farms, they are VERY predictable.  Only if the person is dumb will they fail, RNG is a joke when only so many baddies are trying to hit you and most are missing then your resists kick after the check.  If your endurance hits 0, all the toggles go off.  If you are at like 2 endurance drain with 3 endurance left in the blue bar, but hit that endurance power to top off and miss it by .001 server tick when 3-2 = 1 endurance before hitting 100, you might loose 1-2 toggles and then it cascades into failure if its defense (I miss seeing the toggle go off a lot).

AE farms are a yawn fest, they are designed to maximize experience/influence with minimal effort.  When guys start claiming about 4 minute clear times, RNG isn't even a thing.  I think I get about 10-15 minutes in the same maps as I am too slow.

It only fails when a dog starts licking the keyboard, the cat banging away at it randomly will clear it quicker than a human.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

18 hours ago, Corruption said:

a) Yes it does, it's programming.

b) Yes, it would.

I know how probability works, I'm not entirely sure you do. Besides, you're only talking about high end softcapped builds and even then it would still increase the difficulty.  Do you honestly believe a Blaster could easily herd the entire map of a Magisterium Trial without breaking a sweat?  Even Brutes on a fire farm with softcapped defense and capped resistance can succumb to RNG failure.

Also, I'm not sure it would necessarily result in people herding entire maps, especially if target caps remain the same.  A team standing around doing nothing for 1 minute, let alone 20 sounds highly inefficient.  It would be fun to test at least.

Soft cap is no longer considered the "high end" of builds. Specifically because people hunt enemies that they are soft capped against. That's why Council farming at most level ranges is so popular.

and while increasing the total number of enemies attacking the player will increase the total amount of damage throughput the baseline level of damage from a given enemy will be so low compared to survivability rates as to be inconsequential.

Because regeneration exists as a mechanic, respites exist as a mechanic, and damage resistance exists as a mechanic.

Outside of super reflexes almost any set which grants defense also grants resistances. A modifier which comes in after defense causing a double dip of damage reduction. Someone with 50% damage resistance and 45% defense takes 5% of incoming damage.

Pop an orange or two and the damage is even lower. City of Heroes combat is based on more than probabilities, primarily because it uses blank magnitudes and magnitude modifiers as a core functionality creating certainties.

As to how it works: aggro caps are based on NPC AI. It ain't just programming it's programming intelligence. Waving it off like it's nothing is ridiculous. Aggro would have to be restructured in order to set it on a per character basis.

• Like 1

Honestly... the more I think about it, removing Aggro caps -reduces- difficulty.

Because the Tank can tank everything. What do you need a second tank for? If the blaster accidentally tags a second group the Tank can aggro them both instead of having the rest of the team try to deal with the second group while the tank holds off the first. Or the third spawn. Or the fifth.

Right now the only thing keeping that from happening is the aggro cap, which makes room for multiple tanky types on the same team. 'Cause you can use more than one (unless you're fighting a single enemy like an AV)

Right now you have to actually do things with some level of finesse to avoid the tank being fully aggroed and the rest of the team drawing adds or ambushes resulting in wipes... without aggro caps? The tank just tanks them all.

It's not increased difficulty. It's lower. Yeah, the tank will take marginally more damage than if they were only tanking a single group, But the Support only has to heal that tank. The Control only needs to worry about the enemies -around- that tank. It's... Easier.

The only thing increasing the aggro cap would do is making rounding up enemies for the slaughter faster, and safer.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 6:28 AM, Greycat said:

A lack of aggro cap nearly made me leave the game out of boredom back in the day. Almost every mission was "Wait for tank to herd map, possibly with emp in tow. Wait for him to bring back to THIS SPOT and DO NOT MOVE. When the tank says so, one blaster can nuke. Next floor."

It was *dull.* Sure, you got to stand there and talk - but that was about it.

No thanks.

City of Heroes was a shitty game before inventions, and the dumpster diving era was even worse. 

19 hours ago, Corruption said:

I know how probability works, I'm not entirely sure you do. 

So, hey. Since you impugned me, directly, about my understanding of Probability: Let's talk about probabilities!

Currently the aggro cap (And resulting maximum spawn size) is 16. With a 45% Defense and a group of 16 enemies we can find the likelihood of a single volley of fire landing a hit by using Cumulative Binomial Probability.

Essentially Cumulative Binomial Probability is P(X </= x). (The Forum Software doesn't recognize less than or equal to as a sign)

.05 chance of 100 damage per person

16 instances of dice rolls

Cumulative Probability: .81

And based on our 100 damage base that's 81 damage in a given "Volley" of attacks.

Doubling the value of instances doubles the outcome, so 81 goes to 162, on average.

A Tanker's HP at 50: 1874.1 (Assuming no HP Bonuses from Sets, Accolades, or Powers)

A Tanker's per-second Regen at 50: 7hp/second (Assuming no Regen Bonuses from Sets or Powers, -or- HP Bonuses from Sets, Accolades, or Powers)

Assuming a 1.4 second cast time on attacks striking the tanker, let's assume 162 damage lands every 1.4 seconds. To go from full health to no health the tanker needs to stand there for 16.2 seconds... which gives regen time. In that time the Tanker has recovered 113.3 HP, requiring an additional 1.4 seconds to bring us out to the total of 17.6 seconds.

Assuming there's no damage reduction involved (which there would be) and none of the enemies are killed in that time (which there would be) and no control effects (which there would be) or healing (which there would be).

It would take that tanker almost 20 seconds of their entire team (And themselves) going AFK and just letting their character die for it to happen against 32 opponents.

Now let's apply even a MODICUM of expected gameplay to be involved:

Damage reduction 45% nearly doubles their lifespan. That's a couple of Oranges, or a Sonic Defender, or just having some decent Damage Reduction from your powerset and your set bonuses. 89.1 damage incoming gives 29.4 seconds of regen time and that requires another 3 attacks for 4.2 additional seconds. 33.6 seconds of just standing there, gormlessly, while the enemy attacks.

But drop a couple 10 target AoEs and a few 5 target strikes (Or a couple big blaster attacks) and the enemy group drops in size -significantly-. Reducing that average damage per volley from 89 down to the 50s and then the 30s or 10s.

Got literally any kind of HP Buff, Regen, or Healing? How about any Control Effects? Even knockback disrupts the 1.4 second cast time per volley.

Increasing the total number of incoming attacks certainly does increase the speed at which you take damage. No one is debating that. But once you're in the 40% Defense, 40% Resistance range? The increase is pitiably low. Particularly if you've got -any- kind of support or damage-dealing capabilities and ESPECIALLY if you've got some kind of hard-control power which shuts down the flow of incoming damage instantaneously for an extended period during which the enemy is dispatched.

DISCLAIMER: 

Now obviously there are a few variables unaccounted for, here. For example I didn't go through Paragon Wiki to "Create" a whole spawn of Council Soldiers using their canonical attack times and damage values per ability including bosses. But the intent was to get the gist of the function of cumulative binomial probability out there, not actively describe an entirely accurate attack chain cataloged by each second of combat.

The point is that if you're actively playing the game at that level, increasing the aggro cap doesn't actually increase the game's difficulty by a significant degree. At least not until you're grabbing 5-8 spawns of enemies at a time... But decent support and builds render even -that- issue moot, since it's possible to max out both Defense -and- Resistance to specific attacks on multiple character builds and gain healing in the process which would simply become the "Farmer's Build" or "Farmer's Team" for the extreme version.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Thanks 1

So, hey. Since you impugned me, directly, about my understanding of Probability: Let's talk about probabilities!

NO! PLEASE DON'T! 

Essentially Cumulative Binomial Probability --> long explanation after words

*head explodes*