The Philotic Knight

The Random Babble Thread

10 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

What movie would you like to see a remake of?

Personally, I'd love to see 'When Worlds Collide' remade and closer to the book.  I'd also like to see 'After Worlds Collide' made for a sequel, which was never done with the original movie.

Wow, I found that omnibus book in my high school library around 1980 and loved it.  The Hollywood "adaptation" seemed to have been done by someone who never even read the thing. 

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:
12 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

What movie would you like to see a remake of?

Personally, I'd love to see 'When Worlds Collide' remade and closer to the book.  I'd also like to see 'After Worlds Collide' made for a sequel, which was never done with the original movie.

Wow, I found that omnibus book in my high school library around 1980 and loved it.  The Hollywood "adaptation" seemed to have been done by someone who never even read the thing. 

Well, you have to take into consideration when that was filmed (1951) vs the radical ideas in the books (common goal for mankind since there were multiple ships not just one, multiple spouses for both women and men, etc.).  Considering the book was originally published in 1933, the ideas within it were very forward thinking.

Dislike certain sounds? Head down to Silence/Modify specific sounds in Guides.

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle || Current Server: Torchbearer  || Also found on Indomitable & Excelsior (when needed)

Getting Started  ||  Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  ||  Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Mids' Reborn  ||  HeroStats  ||  Vidiot Maps  ||  QoL, Mods, etc  ||  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Old Forums  ||  Titan Network  ||  The City Representative (3rd party Info site for all servers)

2 hours ago, NNDeepdish said:

I could only identify one movie out of all these quotes you guys posted

This makes me :classic_sad:.

I'm curious which one, though.

Speaking of movies, what was the last movie folk here watched? Anything you'd recommend?

I went to see the Sonic the Hedgehog movie yesterday. I didn't think much of it, but I guess for kids it's probably okay. I feel like the kids movies coming out when I was growing up had a whole lot more action in them, though.
At the very least, I appreciated the reference to SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy, of all things.

Edited by Dreamboat

@Hissatsuman

I was a Genesis kid. I loved the Sonic games. This movie is.... "fine". It's not REALLY a Sonic movie, any more than the two live action Smurfs films are actually Smurfs films. Someone took this character and said "hey, this character made us lots of money over the years. How about we play up the nostalgia of the adult gamers and bring him back into a movie, and see if we can get some dumb kids by playing up the cutesy angle. Hey, if we bring it into the 'real world' and get Cyclops from the X-Men, maybe we can get some of the wives to come too because in the real world it'll be 'more relatable'".

So, after the fix of the horrible CGI on Sonic, they ended up with just an "okay" movie. It wasn't a total trainwreck, but it's NEVER a good thing when they take an established property and take it out of its own world. Jim Carrey was the highlight of the film as the megalomaniac Robotnik. I assume he's just playing a version of himself here.

A better Sonic movie would have been all-animated (CGI or hand drawn) and actually take place on Planet Mobius with Robotnik as the only human. You know, like in the actual GAMES.

Also just saw the Harley Quinn movie the other day. It was better than Sonic. The actors all did a GREAT job, the writing and direction was GREAT. But man, that EDITING was ATROCIOUS. The whole thing felt very disjointed. The editors (who were men, when the writers and director and actors were mostly women) could have made it a better movie if they didn't go with the "back and forth" story structure and went with a regular straight narrative path. Those editors did a disservice to the rest of the crew by editing the way that they did it.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

This movie is.... "fine". It's not REALLY a Sonic movie

This was definitely how I felt, yeah. When they were showing all the classic sprite stuff in the end credits, I remember thinking "man, sure would have been cool to see all this iconic stuff in the movie!"

Edited by Dreamboat

@Hissatsuman