Will we ever see the new things that Cake is getting?

Soloshot360

Perhaps, if you like playing on HC, and the direction of the changes made here, you do that.  If you like playing occasionally, or even always, on the other servers for the different stuff there, that's fine too.  I'll do me, you do you, and we're all fine.  Right?  However, it's become pretty obvious from watching this thread (and the other ones very similar in content that came before it), that the compare/contrast discussions eventually lead to discussions of philosophical, and historical disagreements, which then give way to actual philosophical, and historical disagreements in the posts. 

There is no cure for this, as it's human nature.  But, I think the original intent of this thread long since went off the rails, and now only serves as a platform for pontificating on the other subject material that's been contributed since the first page, much of which we've done before in other threads, and folks positions on them are well known.  So, if commenting were turned off on this thread, it wouldn't be the worst thing that happened this week.  Just my .02 of a dollars worth.

• Thanks 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

9 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Perhaps, if you like playing on HC, and the direction of the changes made here, you do that.  If you like playing occasionally, or even always, on the other servers for the different stuff there, that's fine too.  I'll do me, you do you, and we're all fine.  Right?  However, it's become pretty obvious from watching this thread (and the other ones very similar in content that came before it), that the compare/contrast discussions eventually lead to discussions of philosophical, and historical disagreements, which then give way to actual philosophical, and historical disagreements in the posts. 

There is no cure for this, as it's human nature.  But, I think the original intent of this thread long since went off the rails, and now only serves as a platform for pontificating on the other subject material that's been contributed since the first page, much of which we've done before in other threads, and folks positions on them are well known.  So, if commenting were turned off on this thread, it wouldn't be the worst thing that happened this week.  Just my .02 of a dollars worth.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but basically you're saying this?

image.png.e400b5038e2588fafca1bed7b191ed51.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

bg-peta-nowthis.jpg

Well, there's always the expression "Like Kicking Dead Whales Down the Beach" to describe something horribly unpleasant, almost guaranteed to leave you in dire need of a bath, and ultimately futile,

But I would guess Greenpeace (and probably PETA) would object to that phrase too.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MTeague said:

But I would guess Greenpeace (and probably PETA) would object to that phrase too.

In my experience, it doesn't matter what you say, there are always going to be people who try and berate you and make you feel inferior and hate on the things you say...there just is no escaping it. For as long as you have people who *think* they are better than you, you will always have people who will object to the things you say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some good things and bad things about all the different servers. They all share one thing in common though and that's a love of the game. Human nature will always be such that each group will feel their iteration of something is the best. And that's fine. I've tried different ones and my personal preference is homecoming. Someone else might prefer a different version and that's fine too. I don't think there is much animosity between most of the different servers and their devs, though there may be a few isolated incidents, the occasional chats I've had don't indicate anything more than a respect for going down a different path. There actually seems to be a general discouragement of criticising other servers choices. It seems to be the players who like to stir up non existent trouble rather than any of the admins on any of the servers. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

There are some good things and bad things about all the different servers. They all share one thing in common though and that's a love of the game. Human nature will always be such that each group will feel their iteration of something is the best. And that's fine. I've tried different ones and my personal preference is homecoming. Someone else might prefer a different version and that's fine too. I don't think there is much animosity between most of the different servers and their devs, though there may be a few isolated incidents, the occasional chats I've had don't indicate anything more than a respect for going down a different path. There actually seems to be a general discouragement of criticising other servers choices. It seems to be the players who like to stir up non existent trouble rather than any of the admins on any of the servers. 

It would be great if all the servers shared info. For an example, HC has costume options that the others do not have, really good costume options. Another server has Wind working and Shield Offense with some really nice animations. Would be great if they all put their heads together. Maybe one day they will.

• Like 2

Maybe. I think servers have different priorities too. Not to mention that everyone is throwing the spaghetti code at the wall and seeing if it sticks, so it may still be premature to share what could be faulty changes.

But certainly, from a community level, dispelling any taboo of talking about what and how other servers are doing is a helpful step in that direction.

• Like 3

So, because I respond with what I really think and feel, I am baiting people?

Really?

I think the only things preventing the sharing of changes on the these shards is Ego, Time, and Energy, not Technology.

I think that the reason player groups (and sometimes server runners) choose to denigrate others is based on Ego, Tribalism, and FUD and that many are using seriously passive aggressive language to do it, many without realizing it because they are just following the herd, full-on cognitave dissonance, IMO.

That's it, that's all.

How am I baiting anyone by simply stating my POV.

Where does all this conspiracy crap come from?

I have no hidden agenda - my agenda is out in the open - if we choose to work together, we get more.

And yet, by simply stating my honest POV on why we can or cannot get things proliferated between servers, it's somehow 'dark', simply because I want people to address the real problem, a people problem, not a something we can just blame on technology, I am the bad guy...

As I have mentioned since these forums went live and others have agreed, none of this is anything new.

Rogue servers for all games go through all of this llama drama.

I would simply like it if this community lived up to it's self-imposed 'better' moniker and actually you know, worked together as a community, not tribal warfare.

• Thanks 1

Whatever their reasons, it's just not something they are focused on, and the only ones who are speculating on the why's, and wherefore's is us.  The good folks of the forum community.  The HC Devs are not denigrating any of the other servers.  They have simply stated their path, and they are sticking to it.  Currently, that path does not include sharing of development tracks with the other servers.  They haven't deceived us about their intentions, or made grandiose promises that they couldn't deliver. 

As for the community, nobody's perfect.  It may not be as "good" as it sometimes perceives itself.  But, it's not as "bad" as it's sometimes made out to be either, which sounds about normal in the daily discourse of human interaction.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

Rogue servers for all games go through all of this llama drama

I think I overstated myself before, but this right here is all I was really trying to say. For whatever reasons, call it human nature, but all the people who are running the servers are not communicating what I would like to see as shared information. They all have nothing to lose and everything to gain, IMHO.

You said it way better than I did though. I inserted foot to mouth the way I said it, heh.

10 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I think I overstated myself before, but this right here is all I was really trying to say. For whatever reasons, call it human nature, but all the people who are running the servers are not communicating what I would like to see as shared information. They all have nothing to lose and everything to gain, IMHO.

You said it way better than I did though. I inserted foot to mouth the way I said it, heh.

Yup.  We'd all like for things to be even better than they are, and we can see a way to accomplish that.  By being a more closely knit community, even if we don't play on the same servers, and to have all of the disparate groups working together.  That's always the hope.  But, reality intercedes, and complications prevent that level of perfection from happening.  At a certain point, we just have to pick our ideal situation, and go with it.  Concern over how it could be better if they would just do X (fill-in your preference there), is perfectly understandable, becomes unproductive, and unsatisfying at some point. 

Somewhere down the road, if things change, and this becomes more of a possibility, nobody would be happier than myself.  But, I'm not going to pin my happiness, or satisfaction with my current playing experience to it. 

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Whatever their reasons, it's just not something they are focused on, and the only ones who are speculating on the why's, and wherefore's is us.  The good folks of the forum community.  The HC Devs are not denigrating any of the other servers.  They have simply stated their path, and they are sticking to it.  Currently, that path does not include sharing of development tracks with the other servers.  They haven't deceived us about their intentions, or made grandiose promises that they couldn't deliver. 

As for the community, nobody's perfect.  It may not be as "good" as it sometimes perceives itself.  But, it's not as "bad" as it's sometimes made out to be either, which sounds about normal in the daily discourse of human interaction.

I applaud the HC devs goals, stated or otherwise. These are people that have jobs and lives outside of HC and have donated countless hours to stabilize and improve HC and provide us with some content and Quality of Life tweaks.

I also like that they they are not hampered by corporate interests that insist content get pushed out on a set schedule regardless of its state. The trouble with sharing code between the different servers is that every programmer has their own method for writing code, which when compiled, can wreak havoc with other programmers code when they are not all working from the same main. It's much easier for the HC team to control the impact of branching code when they all work from the same main and all follow the same guidelines. Combing through shared code between the different teams would be a poor use of the dev's time.

• Thanks 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

So, because I respond with what I really think and feel, I am baiting people?

Really?

I think that the reason player groups (and sometimes server runners) choose to denigrate others is based on Ego, Tribalism, and FUD and that many are using seriously passive aggressive language to do it, many without realizing it because they are just following the herd, full-on cognitave dissonance, IMO.

Whether intentional or not, your posts are riddled with loaded language, most often subjective.  In other words you're doing the exact thing you're accusing others of.  Which makes them react.  Which makes you react.  Which makes them react.  And around and around we go.  I have no idea if that's cognitive dissonance, tribalism, or FUD, but it does explain the stronger reactions to your posts.  

As for your substantive arguments, when I realized City of Heroes was playable, I had two choices(that I knew of).  So, the first thing I did was check out the forums.  I chose the Homecoming team because they seemed more organized, had clear goals, advocated a PG-13 atmosphere, and wasn't motivated by greed.   It was an easy choice for me.  Would I like new power choices?  Sure!  But it's not a priority for me.  I have 40 Alts and still have sets I haven't tried.  Stability is more important to me.  An active Dev team with clear and stated goals is more important to me.  If every shard had the same priorities, then I could see shared changes.  Call it ego if you will, but the HC team is under no obligation to share anything with anyone, and I'm ok with that.  If that makes me a lemming in your eyes, then so be it.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Whether intentional or not, your posts are riddled with loaded language, most often subjective.  In other words you're doing the exact thing you're accusing others of.  Which makes them react.  Which makes you react.  Which makes them react.  And around and around we go.  I have no idea if that's cognitive dissonance, tribalism, or FUD, but it does explain the stronger reactions to your posts.  

As for your substantive arguments, when I realized City of Heroes was playable, I had two choices(that I knew of).  So, the first thing I did was check out the forums.  I chose the Homecoming team because they seemed more organized, had clear goals, advocated a PG-13 atmosphere, and wasn't motivated by greed.   It was an easy choice for me.  Would I like new power choices?  Sure!  But it's not a priority for me.  I have 40 Alts and still have sets I haven't tried.  Stability is more important to me.  An active Dev team with clear and stated goals is more important to me.  If every shard had the same priorities, then I could see shared changes.  Call it ego if you will, but the HC team is under no obligation to share anything with anyone, and I'm ok with that.  If that makes me a lemming in your eyes, then so be it.  

OK.

So you choose to take me stating my opinion as an attack because I use blunt language.

It's an opinion, of course it is subjective.

You made a choice where to play, everyone does, based on what is important to you.

Awesome.

How is my stating my opinion, with whatever level of passion that others approve of or dislike, in anyway impactful?

You stated nothing about accusing anyone of anything, you did not denigrate anyone, you are not advocating what group is 'better' in your choice.

I have stated repeatedly, none of the server runners owe any of us anything.

The lemmings, IMO, are the ones that are following thier 'team' blindly, continuing to promote the idea whichever server is the 'only right way', etc.

I don't see you directly saying any of this, but I don't ususally bother read post histories.

I get paid to solve the kind of technical problems people try to use as excuses for not collaborating COH innovations.

Therefore, I know these are excuses - reasons people make to tell themsleves it's OK not to think about it anymore.

I am not saying the decisions to not collaborate are immoral or evil, simply that IMO, saying the technology is the reason is just not accurate.

It's a people problem. The people involved choose to do what they do. 

Some of the people choose to attack the other groups in an effort to tell themselves they made the right choice - thus the cognitive dissonance.

I don't really care if people agree or disagree with my opinion.

I love to share opinions and learn about the POV of others.

I will also express myself that same way I would in person, with blunt, passionate language that attempts to get to the root issues, not just dance around them in some effort to never offend anyone, because these things happen to be important to me.

The moment someone else decides to share their opinion, that's on them, I do not control other peoples (re)actions.

Right now, people decide to make themselves feel better about which server they chose by denigrating other servers.

I think that stinks.

9 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

OK.

So you choose to take me stating my opinion as an attack because I use blunt language.

It's an opinion, of course it is subjective.

And there you are doing it again.  You're stating that he CHOOSES to take your language in a certain way.   It's all on him.

Personally, I usually skip over your posts because IN MY OPINION they come across as abrasive and antagonistic.  It takes two (or more) to engage in effective communication.  If a significant number of people are reacting to your posts in a negative manner, then communication has failed.  Maybe some people are too thin-skinned and maybe you're too blunt.  I can't say that one of those is predominant or what the ratio is, but the job of communicating isn't being accomplished because emotional reactions are getting in the way.

• Like 5

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

• Jimmy locked this topic