System Specs

WanderingAries

5 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

But can I get such a system to make ECONOMICAL sense?

I justify it as a hobby... One that has only intensified with COVID.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

12 minutes ago, Dahle said:

I justify it as a hobby... One that has only intensified with COVID.

I have to justify it against my job.

At the upper end, an R7 3700x, an R9 3900x and an R9 3950x with an identical RTX 2080 all deliver approximately the same performance in most games.
And Threadripper chips, while tossing a ridiculous 64 cores at me, is slower on a per-core basis.  And, in the end, performance is going to be roughly equivalent.

The $1500 RTX 3090 is just ridiculous.  It might be nice and all.  But does nothing for my main usage as a work machine.
Though, the $500 RTX 3070 is actually an attractive deal.  Might see if I'm willing to stretch for it.

So.  Drop $2000-2500 on a system or drop $5000-6000 and get the same performance?
Uh....

And while I'm doing multiple, simultaneous virtualized systems,

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 4 weeks later
31 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

So did anyone manage to snag a RTX 3000 series card? And if so, how does COH run with it?

Nobody has them yet.
The date got bumped to 10/29

And they're starting at $700 for the 3080.
The 3090 is $1500.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later

I am currently running a Mac Pro 2010:

Xeon 5690 3.46 - 3.73 GHz 6-core

32 GB RAM

MacVidCards GTX980

Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe SSD

3840x2160 Iiyama Gold Phoenix screen (and a second 1080p one)

Either running MacOS High Sierra or Windows 10 via bootcamp.

It's quite happy to run City of Heroes at 4K at around 50 fps and most other things at 1080p.

I also have a 15" 2018 Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz i7 / 16GB / AMD 560X Pro

I am going to upgrade to a new AMD 5900X / 6800XT / ASRock Creator / 64 GB system when those parts actually are available and reviews are out.

The new stuff from AMD looks amazing, especially if you get both the CPU and GPU. Given that it's also very similar to what is in both of the new consoles, I think it will be well supported for gaming. Only thing it doesn't have is CUDA, but that's less of an issue now than it was years ago.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 10/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, Glacier Peak said:

I'll revisit this question later. Hopefully someone snags one and can answer this before I get one lol

Unless you need the 24GB memory on the 3900, anything from the new 6000 series from AMD looks better price/performance.

The Nvidia cards might be a lot better for ray-tracing.

Things also depend on what resolution you're gaming at.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

2 minutes ago, RogerWilco said:

Unless you need the 24GB memory on the 3900, anything from the new 6000 series from AMD looks better price/performance.

The Nvidia cards might be a lot better for ray-tracing.

Things also depend on what resolution you're gaming at.

Totally agree. I'm looking for a combination of 4-5 years before upgrading again playing games at 1440p/165hz at max graphical settings. Obviously CoH is a different story - just curious if anyone had snagged and tried.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

17 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Totally agree. I'm looking for a combination of 4-5 years before upgrading again playing games at 1440p/165hz at max graphical settings. Obviously CoH is a different story - just curious if anyone had snagged and tried.

My GTX980 runs CoH at 4K, I don't really need a new card for that.

I am looking to run other games like Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K as well.

I have a very nice 4K monitor, that is much happier running either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 than anything in between. The new generation of video cards from both Nvidia and AMD seem to allow me to make the switch to 4K for most games.