I'm seeing more tankers these days, are you playing more tankers?

DougGraves

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I don't die. Hover plus bio armor with fire blast being backed by Bio's +damage... it's probably the top Sent combo. Sure, Sent damage is lacking in the overall... but when you never faceplant, your DPS gets buffed accordingly compared to the other ATs eating dirt.

I still think the laughable damage far outweighs the survivability benefit. I tried to like Sentinels, but they just feel like Defenders without a primary to me.

7 hours ago, Apparition said:

... What other ATs eating dirt?  Considering that I use my Blaster to tank ITFs with, and heck even occasionally tank with a Corruptor, I don't see it.

My Blaster's plenty tough as a general rule but the cascading defense debuffs those Romans toss out are death to a defense build with no DDR.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I played a Tanker on live from beta till when I left. Loved it never found a game after I liked to Tank as much as COH. When Brutes came out I hated them with a passion everyone said why play a tank when you could play a brute. For that reason I never liked brutes. I tried to make one but every time  I thought if I wanted the life I would go Tanker if I wanted the damage I would go scrapper the middle was never my thing when the Tank changes came out I thought I would roll one out again. Scrapper been my main but getting tired of scrapperlock and thought I would make a team friendly build but WOW there's like 2-3 tanks a team now its like Tanker tug of war sometimes. I had to tell a guy "BRO I am not trying to play tug of war taunt I am just trying face the AV away from the squishies" finally he responded and moved to my side.  Other times it turns into the leapfrog of tanks one gets the next group then the last one skips to the front and so forth. My best experience is when you see another tank on the team and you go

tumblr_m74ncdPzJv1rn95k2o1_400.gifv  but then something amazing happens when you get into a mission and  you work together creating larger herds than you could do with one tank. That some fun.

The true story is the game has gotten so dps friendly that people have really forgot how to tank and when you find another tank that shares the classic herd and line of sight tanking mentality it can be really fun but that's like 1/10th of the time. 90% of the time its new age Tanks that  jump in and start  taunt tug of war.  Sometimes you get some teams you like better than others but I do wish some tanks learn to line of sight because it helps with some mobs greatly.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, loyalreader said:

Hey @Sailboatjust rolled up the same based on concept. Curious to know why Axe is 'mechanically sub-optimal' (not challenging, real question)? I've played War Mace before and it's a great set. Battle Axe looks to be the basically the same but lethal instead of smashing. Is that the issue? On paper it looks good but you can't really tell until you start playing....

Mace,Axe,Boadsword,Katana are all sub optimal. Some people have the belief Mace is so much better but they are all very close to the same damage.  Are they sub optimal compared to  something like SS where you can stack 2 rages or Greater psi blades massive ST damage or Rad overall power house of a set with damage aura? YES all the Weapon sets except TW are sub optimal but are they bad NO. Its how you build your character. For example broadsword is bad but put it with bio armor and its def whole gets filled with parry  and bio can up the damage of broadsword or put Axe with shield so it can get a 55% boost in damage with against all odds. Sub optimal dosen't mean you cant make something optimal especially these days with procs and IO's.  MiniMax  is great but in coh play what you like and make it into something great its one of the few games you can.

Ps:: Just in Blaster told Sentinel "get off my lawn you hippie." 

Edited by Ironscarlet
  • Like 2

Tanks was one of the AT that i never liked playing.  I've had a standing goal of reaching lvl 20 with a tank and never ever got close on live.  Coming to Homecoming, I was determined to reach my goal.  Started a elec/fire tank without my thought or planning and the first 10 went faster than any other toon i've made.  Then the mez's and holds happened and I had to get help to deal with those.  When I hit 20 I started hearing rumors that something was going to happen to tanks at some point and I kept pugging along waiting for them.  Level 30 came and went with still no changes, I think it was around lvl 42 that the changes hit and tanks got real popular again, which was good because I would never have gotten to 50 without the help of a lot of friends.

With that I have a lvl 50 tank, don't really see any need to revisit, but I will be taking him back out from time to time.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

<shrug> I can solo in DA with my Sent. My blaster is a painful nightmare solo and she's a fire/time.

I think that's a Fire issue with the lack of secondary mitigation. Try Ice/Fire Blaster and you can do some crazy shit. Or Ice/Most Things.

Edited by MunkiLord

I learned the game on Brutes in ROFLSTOMP teams (on better days, FUGLY other days) I have a Tank I use as a badger, Invul/Dark.  vet level 13 with 600 badges, full buildout.  I probably do not Tank well enough to meet your standards.  It is just a toon I rolled as a concept and liked.  Zombie Tank.  He is fun, and I run him as a very heavy Brute (I run heavy Brutes, lot of Invul)  But my Brutes have no taunt.  I spam Taunt on the Tank.  I try to keep my team safe.  I still mostly suck playing Brutes, so I am guessing that did not get better switching to a more specific job AT.  But I have fun.  When I go in the right direction my teams even do pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

I think that's a Fire issue with the lack of secondary mitigation. Try Ice/Fire Blaster and you can do some crazy shit. Or Ice/Most Things.

Build for ranged defense and a Fire/EM blaster becomes quite godly.  Heck, any blaster becomes godly when they get high enough defenses to handle the return fire.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

6 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I looked at her build only to find that it was 75% basic IOs. Too many alts. I'll fix her at some point and try again.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:48 PM, Ironscarlet said:

For example broadsword is bad but put it with bio armor and its def whole gets filled with parry  and bio can up the damage of broadsword

*immediately spit takes*

GOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO DO IN THE MORNING!

And this is even before considering what the update did to the AoE in broadsword....

Edited by SaintD

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

23 minutes ago, SaintD said:

*immediately spit takes*

GOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO DO IN THE MORNING!

And this is even before considering what the update did to the AoE in broadsword....

Before you roll one of those, if recommend looking at stalker. What makes BS good is the crits, as the set has longer rech but meaty damage. It just so happens stalkers can control their crits very well and with instant rech on BU, you can get the most out of those hard hitting attacks. Pair it with Shield or bio or elec, they all benefit from the extra def. 

Issue 0 - The Great Age of the Blaster

Issue 2-4 - The Great Age of the Tanker

Issue 5 - The Fall of the Tanker

<lotta stuff in between>

NOW - The Rise of the Tanker

If you wait long enough things come back into fashion.

• Haha 3

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Leogunner said:

Before you roll one of those, if recommend looking at stalker. What makes BS good is the crits, as the set has longer rech but meaty damage. It just so happens stalkers can control their crits very well and with instant rech on BU, you can get the most out of those hard hitting attacks. Pair it with Shield or bio or elec, they all benefit from the extra def. 

FUCK Stalker!

Makin' a Tank!

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak