PK's Field Trainer Chatter - Web App In Progress

The Philotic Knight

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Cute Named Helper Methods: For when the mind-numbing work of refactoring code for the purposes of re-usability and standardization starts to get to you, and you're SO tired of retyping the same key sequence dozens of times over and over again that it's about to drive you NUTS, so instead you consolidate that shit into a helper method with a cute name so you DON'T GO CRAZY!!!!

image.png.e45ca00bf29a6c7480d805cc3fb7cdbf.png

I hope all your coding comments are in pig-Latin. 

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Nope, just that one. In other news, I'm finally able to start using the data that I've spent weeks parsing into JUST the right format to get it linked up to the Desktop UI through the ModelController methods:

image.png.f1e420a7ff396fad46eb23bd2cdbeb5a.png

image.png.d8596bb2e64ef13205ded29ff078ba1a.png

Slow, but steady progress. I think, for the purpose of my sanity, I'm going to break this up, a bit of refactoring here, a bit of UI work there... just so that I don't die from the monotony. Frankly, the "best good time feelings" for me come from when I can finally see the results of my labors, like I can in the screenshots above. Until I get to that point where I can see a good result in the UI, it's all just code, code, and more code.

• Like 4

I have 0 experience coding whatever you are coding or doing web coding more detailed that some colorful CSS buttons but when you need UI input let me know.  If its as simple as HTML VRLM or CSS or even just some jpg or png stuff I may can help.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I have 0 experience coding whatever you are coding or doing web coding more detailed that some colorful CSS buttons but when you need UI input let me know.  If its as simple as HTML VRLM or CSS or even just some jpg or png stuff I may can help.  

Oh, I can do HTML and CSS. What I can't really do is graphics. So, if you have any skills making fancy looking graphcs like what you can see on this forum's interface - I'd be happy to use work with you and implement your stuff.

• Like 1

Uh-oh, it looks like we're getting somewhere... my logic to automatically remove all possible powers that the player shouldn't have access to is apparently working now...

image.png.3ccea5dcc4c0ac667fdd1a50a65dd477.png

Now I might need to change that display name to make use of the category of the power (Primary, Secondary, Epic, Pool), as well as the PowerSetName, so that you know what set that power's related to...

Baby steps... my family is back from vacation now, so this might be as far as I can get for a bit, we'll see...

• Like 4

Nice progress. Looks great

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

On 2/22/2020 at 2:34 AM, The Philotic Knight said:

Uh-oh, it looks like we're getting somewhere... my logic to automatically remove all possible powers that the player shouldn't have access to is apparently working now...

Now I might need to change that display name to make use of the category of the power (Primary, Secondary, Epic, Pool), as well as the PowerSetName, so that you know what set that power's related to...

Baby steps... my family is back from vacation now, so this might be as far as I can get for a bit, we'll see...

wow... tooooo goood... continue!!!!!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:46 AM, Redlynne said:

There's a LOT of garbage that never got collected and cleaned up in the the spaghetti code of City of Heroes ...

When coding standards go bad....Or more realistically, what happens when you have more code than time/budget.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

image.png.0253f8c07eaf8c329b5561e20f47a3af.png

While this LOOKS like pretty much the same screen, there's a couple of major differences, one that you can see, and one that you really can't:

1. The one you can see - note the checkboxes under the comboboxes - can you guess what those are for?
  2. The one you can't - the groupBoxes that contain the comboboxes/checkboxes aren't actually on the form anymore during design time - I'm now dynamically creating them during runtime as you get to certain levels (as appropriate).

I went to dynamic creation because I was thinking about the web interface. I don't want people messing with the controls for the level 49 power pick when they are only at level 1, and being fairly new to ASP.NET programing, I'm not sure what I have control over and what I don't - that is, unless, those controls don't EXIST until I make them. Also, I wanted the two planners to look and behave as similarly as possible, to reduce the need for duplicate coding and design. Thus, the dynamically generated user controls. It should also make less code work for me overall, I think.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

The one you can see - note the checkboxes under the comboboxes - can you guess what those are for?

Slots for enhancements on the power.

The 1 box is checked by default, but investment is required to open the 2-5 slot checkboxes.

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

And now I just added Pool powers to the UI, as well as adding the Power Category Type and PowerSet name into the Power DisplayName, so that you know from whence the power comes:

image.thumb.png.7ab6aaf6d71714f25542c3252a5f3800.png

But I see from that that I still have to implement my "other requirements" code to filter out those that have other power pick requirements. That... might take a while, heh.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2020 at 11:34 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Whew!  I was so worried that your test character would NOT be an FF/ Defender! 😎

• Haha 3

Keep Redside Alive!

This is tempting me to go back into playing with code, but then I remember the Last time I tried...I had no idea how to configure the compiler let alone remember more than the basics. :(

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Today, frustrated with my UI's bad control, I added a Panel object. All "PowerPicker" objects now appear at the bottom of the panel, and I auto-scroll to the bottom of the panel after the new PowerPicker appears. Note the location of the scrollbars. I'll probably do something similar to this in the Web UI using frames, or whatever the hell the current modern tech is that duplicates what frames used to do in HTML in the 90s:

image.png.81504188d6170332c26ccc271ebac289.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@The Philotic Knight just remember that UI elements can always be tweaked later.  Just because the UI is frustrating to use "now" doesn't mean it'll be frustrating to use forever.  I'm even sure that some people would argue that front end and back end programming can often times be thought of as almost separate disciplines.

So long as the underlying back end coding that you're doing is SOUND then the front end UI can always be made more beautiful and user friendly AFTER you've got the underlying back end coding sorted.  Although, that said, I can easily understand your desire to make UI improvements if only for ease of testing of functionality.

In other words ... you're doing a GOOD JOB!

More please ...

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

@Redlynne the thing about it though is that the back end stuff is pretty much done. I have the database schema all laid out, as well as the objects that will be shared/common between the web UI and the desktop UI. The import and export is ridiculously easy (translation: one or two lines of code) because of my choice to make it easy on myself and just use XML files with DataSets/Data Tables.

So, the majority of work that's left pretty much *IS* the UI design, as well as the code to link the UI/Views to the Model and Controller. 

Because, really, all a build planner is, in the end, is a database of some sort that's tied to a UI for manipulating that data. So, once the schema is designed, most of the work *IS* the UI. 

The web portion is going to take me the longest, to be honest, because I'm just starting to learn about ASP. Net coding, since I've professionally been a desktop programmer. That's why I'm starting with the desktop app, to essentially prototype a basic UI, and then replicate that UI on the web. 

That will be the biggest challenge for me. 

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1

Well, one of the things that I know about presentation of enhancement graphics is that Cryptic rigged them all to be a kind of "stack" that jigsaw together, with the outer ring of the enhancement actually being two components (left half and right half).  That way they could do the whole TO/DO/SO thing relatively simply.  This underlying schema was then carried over into the Paragon Wiki pages when the people behind the enhancement sets pages programmed up scripts to pull info and graphics to "assemble" into the various enhancement set graphics used throughout the site.

Just in case that was one of those not inherently obvious bits of structure behind the scenes for how UI stuff has been done elsewhere.

IifneyR.gif

That's how they chose to do it @Redlynne using alpha channels (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing?wprov=sfla1) to make composite images. What I'm talking about is the different layers of code in an application. You're talking apples and oranges there. Yes, there's code behind the UI of course, and yes, I can "layer" the code by chaining methods. What I'm talking about is the fact that I'm still learning how ASP.NET sessions, response headers, and permanent vs. Page-instanced objects work, and the page life cycle, for example. Totally different concepts. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:08 PM, Sif said:

Developing on Windows is always such a pain... Especially C++!

Well considering my HS archives are in C / (early) C++ and even some BASIC, I'm probably a little behind in understanding. :p

• Jimmy pinned this topic
  • Jimmy unpinned this topic