Easiest Team-Focused Build to Play?

wheresmycow

On 2/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, Snarky said:

Why you make me alt? 

I have fond memories of my first toon, which was a willpower brute.  It was a simpler time, with a bunch of toggles and just swinging away.

I think I need to make a willpower brute, except not go with energy melee.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:56 PM, VileTerror said:

I make you Alt because I care.

To Alt is to show thy love to the City.  

Love thy City, young man.  Love thy City.

My crazy brain just imagined a City of Heroes parody of "We Built This City" sung by Atta. "Me built this city on rocks and Trolls!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bot/FF/Mace I will second as being pretty lazy, almost yawn inducing it's so indestructible. Power boosted bubbles on their own get your whole team and all your bots up into the soft-caps, your henchmen do all the real heavy lifting, and you don't have to do much for minutes at a time. 

Edited by ltzerge

On 2/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, Seigmoraig said:

I wouldn't suggest that they play buff sets, because you get very little positive feedback from that. Kinetics is very strong that's for sure, but you get next to nothing out of it yourself.

Most people want to see those orange numbers floating up over the heads of the enemies.

I would go and suggest that somebody like that plays a Sentinel instead. You get the durability of defensive sets while still being ranged so you can just follow the team around while always keeping a more global view of what is happening in the fights. Sometimes when you are melee and the camera gets real close in when playing in tight areas it can get messy at times and I can see how that would upset people who aren't used to that kind of thing.

Staying at range, while still being almost tank level durable which is very forgiving on "newbie" mistakes, like nuking before aggro is set, would be why I would suggest Sentinel above a buffer.

All of this.  For somebody who's "bad at the game," playing a buff/debuff toon isn't a winner.  Playing that role well requires knowledge of power mechanics (Yours, your teammates', and the mobs'), situational awareness, and a decent understanding of which strategies are useful in what content.  On top of all that, support toons in CoX, like in any other MMORPG, are relied upon to be doing their jobs correctly at all times.  That can mean some pretty harsh scrutiny if things don't go well. 

A DPSer is gonna be much friendlier in terms of responsibility.  Your job is to kill things, preferably as fast as possible.  As long as HP bars are moving towards empty, no one can complain.  The only way to screw it up is by getting overzealous with pulls or not listening to the team for tactics.  Sentinels' combination of armor secondaries and ranged damage will let your friend(s) enjoy the ride while giving them a wide perspective of what's happening during a fight.  Hopefully, that broad view of the battlefield will help them get an understanding of what's going on and let them see how other ATs work.  Once they've seen more experienced players in action on those other ATs, they might even be inspired to roll one for themselves. 

Edited by Timeshadow

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

I would also agree with sentinels as the best new player character. You can stay at range with good defense and little team pressure. Tanks, defenders, and masterminds require more finesse to play properly. Once a new person gets comfortable and understands the game mechanics, they would probably have a better handle on what they really want to play.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I have an 8 year old that likes to play with me sometimes.  I gave this idea some thought.  I ended up making him an Ice/Regen Sentinal.  

Sentinal because ranged damage doesn't require you to be in melee range.  When he played melee toons he would usually get hit a bunch before starting his attacks because he wasn't in melee range to his target and didn't really get that his attacks weren't firing because he had something targeted that was out of range.  Yeah, you can use follow and target nearest and a dozen other things to resolve this, but the "easy" fix was to just use ranged attacks.

I chose Ice because it provides some mitigation while doing damage.

I chose Regen because I wanted him to benefit from his secondary at the early levels (like below level 10) and regen's first few powers are things worth taking and using right away unslotted, whereas most other sets have a toggle that just burn endurance you don't really have for very little mitigation.  Rad is another good option.

If the players is going to be leveling up to 50 I would probably choose different powersets, but I still think Sentinel is the way to go.... I would add in hover/flight and you can just sit back out of melee blasting away while not dying.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow