Favorite in-game quotes

Troo

Villain tip mission, some Longbow chatting with each other.

Longbow Rifle: Sometimes the hum of the generators makes me so sleepy.  You know what I mean?

Longbow Spec-Ops: I do, your talking makes me tired a lot also.

Longbow Rifle: ...that was uncalled for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:28 AM, Pixie_Knight said:

Here's an old one from a friend of mine. First, the setup.

I had an IRL friend who would play CoH on Triumph server. It was my account at the time, since my friend didn't have a computer of their own. Let alone their own copy of CoH at the time. Well, my friend had started teaming up with someone in the hollows, and they /friended each other, teaming up whenever both were online. When this happened they were level 10 or so, having just finished the Hollows storyline (except the trial) and were in Kings Row doing missions. They came across a group of level 50 Malta, complete with some deployed turrets. Presumably some level 50 got killed by an ambush by the group. My friend and his team mate took cover behind a fence, thus avoiding aggro.

Friend: "Malta, who are they?"

Scrapper Teammate: "Donno, think we can take them?"

Friend: "Maybe?"

Scrapper Teammate: "Right, on the count of three we jump over the fence and attack. One."

Friend: "Two."

Scrapper Teammate: "Three, GO!"

My friend jumps over the fence and dies instantly to the turret, his team mate on the other hand runs in the opposite direction, avoiding aggro via ducking around a corner.

Me: "Well, that was a classic hit-and-run strategy."

Brilliant strategy, made me chuckle.

This reminded me of the first time I encountered Malta, in The Hollows, as a level 16, exiting a mission, within the first month of playing the game.

I did a broadcast that there were level 50 Malta hanging around in The Hollows, someone replied asking for the location, within minutes a couple of level 50's showed up and handled the Malta's with ease.

That was the moment I realized I wanted to be that powerful and it became a motivational point in my career in CoH.

To have a level 50 and be able to help lower level heroes with random encounters like that.

• Like 3

@retrobytz ~ Everlasting ~ usually online daily between 18:00 and 20:00 UTC
Signature Characters: Star Jewel | Emberflair | Mystfury | Lumitia | Miss Unity | 
Novaspark

Other characters - Starlight Sentinels on Fandom

Some of the most amusing chatter happens when the game code randomly assigns dialogue to inappropriate NPCs. Here we have, perhaps, a philosophical robot who has been contemplating the nature of humanity:

[NPC] Vortex Cor Leonis Force: I hear the new vampyri are even more impressive.

[NPC] Zenith Mech Man: I hope someday I can join their ranks.

Edited by RikOz
Replaced image with plain text
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/9/2021 at 4:32 AM, Retrobytz said:

Brilliant strategy, made me chuckle.

This reminded me of the first time I encountered Malta, in The Hollows, as a level 16, exiting a mission, within the first month of playing the game.

I did a broadcast that there were level 50 Malta hanging around in The Hollows, someone replied asking for the location, within minutes a couple of level 50's showed up and handled the Malta's with ease.

That was the moment I realized I wanted to be that powerful and it became a motivational point in my career in CoH.

To have a level 50 and be able to help lower level heroes with random encounters like that.

Stuff like this is why I was a little bummed to see the high level ambushes in low level zones get pruned recently. It really made the world feel lived in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't know why this made me laugh, but a random line from a Warrior in Pocket D.

Warrior Raver: So I lost my puppy...

Guess some of those tough guys are big softies after all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• 2 weeks later

Not particularly funny unless you think about the context:

[NPC] Blood Brother Chopper: I pretty much stay away from Fort Hades. That place gives me the creeps.

So, you're telling me that someone from the Hellions. a gang that doubles as a cult that worships demons is afraid of ghosts?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Was running quests earlier. And in the final quest of Slot Machine's arc I came across this from one group.

[NPC] Harlequin Fencer: I can't believe they invited us in!
[NPC] Bronze Strongman: They couldn't resist the lure of a private show.
[NPC] Harlequin Fencer: Oooh! Aren't you a rough one?
[NPC] Bronze Strongman: And now, we'll steal as we please!
[NPC] Hostage: I'd inform an Arbiter about this, but considering we invited them here for a private show, that might be a bad idea.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the first mission of Provost Marchand's second story arc, this Crey Tank recently sprung from the Zig makes a good point about their current situation.

Crey Cryo Tank: We were tossed in the Zig for being too obvious, and now we're standing around here. Get a move on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later

There's a Rogue mission in the 40s that has an Arachnos operative give you a contract to sign to do some mercenary work for them.  While many of the terms and conditions are pretty standard fare, one stands out:

6. Do not attack any members of Arachnos, even if they 'have it coming to them'.

And there's this one, which comes with an asterisk:

4. If you are captured, Arachnos will spend no less than 1 day and no more than 2 weeks to rescue you.*

*Time of rescue will depend on how quickly the operative in charge can file the proper papers to be reviewed by a council of Arbiters.

Don't get captured when working for the spiders.

This same mission also includes a brief conversation between two fellow agents:
[NPC] Bane Spider Commando: You ever think about your family?
[NPC] Fortunata: I try not to. Phipps tells me that they're taken care of. 
[NPC] Bane Spider Commando: Do you believe him?
[NPC] Fortunata: Do I really have a choice?

Knowing Phipps, it's probably better she doesn't think about it.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

Enraged Miner 1: Little Bill didn't deserve this. 

Enraged Miner 2: Deserve had nothing to do with it. 
Enraged Miner 1: Yeah. 
Enraged Miner 1: You know he was building a house?
Enraged Miner 1: But I tell ya, he wasn't much of a carpenter.

unforgivable

• Haha 2