[/Devices] Please Take the Taunt Aura off Gun Drone.

ScarySai

I honestly thought that Gun Drone got the taunt from live because it made sense...on live...like a left over thing from like Issue 8 times, adding it on HC seems to be a very odd choice.

Yeah that REALLY seems like a bit of a daft move giving it a taunt because 'aggro control' when no other blaster secondary either has or needs such a thing. Especially without a rather large HP increase. I was actually looking forward to getting Gun Drone on my BR/Dev blaster...now I see I have two completely useless powers in my secondary (Gun Drone and Time Bomb).

Hell at this stage I'm not sure why we don't get Time Bomb to be a clone of Crabs Omega maneuver without the stupidly long set up time. I mean that power does everything Time Bomb SHOULD do.

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll admit I don't use gun drone much, despite having the power on my main. However I have noticed it dying really quick in the few times I do use it, and I can see how that would limit it's usefulness. I do like the concept of a taunt pet, but I don't think gun drone is a good fit for it thematically. An auto-turret that follows you around should be all about damage, I think. If the purpose of the pet is to grab enemy attention, it should probably look and act a bit differently. Why would enemies be more likely to target a gun drone and not the person with an assault rifle standing next to it?

I'd rather the gun drone go back to being all about damage, and if it is under-performing it should be changed with that in mind.

• Like 5

He cited something like "devices has too much damage and not enough mitigation.", which isn't really true, but hey.

Trip mine and caltrops are great and I love them, but the 'damage' isn't touching a lot of other secondaries, unless you're talking stacked trip mines, which by the time you can lay ten down, the average /fire blaster has already killed two packs. Time bomb's good on paper, but nobody takes it because it's CD is absurd in the post-nuke-overhaul era.

I don't think gun drone was intentionally 'nerfed', just that giving it taunt was a SEVERELY misguided decision. I'm all for having the drone buffed, despite CP's strange objection to the idea, but for the short term, I'd like to just see the taunt go away.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

It'd be cool if it were a legit "pet" with armor and good stats, making /Dev stand out even more as a cool secondary

Without any reliable ways to softcap it (without seriously gimping your build, at least), it won't matter how good it's stats are if it still has the taunt aura. That's the problem.

• Like 3

I'm still curious to know if it's possible to add a negative taunt duration to it.  E.g. 14 second taunt pulses, with unenhanceable -14 second taunts.  Net effect: 0 second taunt; throwing taunt enhancements into it would "activate" it by pushing it above 0.

I am dismayed at the idea of forcing players to lose any slotted taunt sets so, while I agree it's not working out at high-end play, I'm trying to come up with solutions that don't do any further harm.

I wonder if an entity can be set up to simply duplicate stats of another.  In this case: Gun Drone always inherits the better of yours or its own Defenses and Resistances.

31 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I am dismayed at the idea of forcing players to lose any slotted taunt sets so, while I agree it's not working out at high-end play, I'm trying to come up with solutions that don't do any further harm.

I don't get this, since pretty much every single /devices player who takes the power hates the taunt component, the pet sets it can take have a decent amount of ranged defense+Recharge, and the stated intent of the change was not to make it rip threat from tanks.

This isn't really a compromise that should be made: The power was never intended to be a taunt, and the few who strangely decided to slot it that way would be able to easily access similar set bonuses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScarySai said:

I don't get this, since pretty much every single /devices player who takes the power hates the taunt component, the pet sets it can take have a decent amount of ranged defense+Recharge, and the stated intent of the change was not to make it rip threat from tanks.

This isn't really a compromise that should be made: The power was never intended to be a taunt, and the few who strangely decided to slot it that way would be able to easily access similar set bonuses.

I just checked in-game.  This really is a 400% taunt (same as Brutes). That's really unreasonable.  I was expecting this to be something like mag 1-2 - enough to help while solo but entirely invisible in a party setting.

@Captain Powerhouse, this needs another look.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, Redlynne said:

Change the Taunt effect to a Placate ...

"You can't see meeee...."  PEW~PEW~PEW!

What?  Well it made me laugh to think about anyway.

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 2/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, Redlynne said:

Change the Taunt effect to a Placate ...

"You can't see meeee...."  PEW~PEW~PEW!

What?  Well it made me laugh to think about anyway.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I know devices intimately, I had reasonable use out of Timebomb, I stacked it to my Tripmine and Gun Drone, hell gun drone was not just extra DPS it was extra HP to me at times,  so the taunt well, I could understand it, maybe it is too high in Duration, maybe it should be a chance to taunt, sometimes you got to field test it, see what everyone thinks in general. I might like a option to turn on or turn off its taunt.

Some powers being as you maybe resistance based levelling up have their day, you need active defense, you need minus fight duration but these become obsolete later on due to, well you become a more def based character and too OP for the game content anyways or single minded on some aspect of the game.

Edited by NEW DAWN

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, Novacat said:

How about some mutually exclusive copy paste, like crab venom grenades? One normal one without taunt?

Easy, quick, and let's those who want to keep it keep it.

Venom is all crabs have.  What would be the point of them if another AT got their best power?

Crazy bass ackwards idea that almost certainly CANNOT BE DONE in-game (because it's just too complex for the game engine to handle).

1. Gun Drone, when summoned DOES NOT have a Taunt Aura toggle.
  2. Timebomb can be used on Gun Drone(!!).
  3. IF a Timebomb is attached to a Gun Drone (work with me here, I'm theorycrafting a concept) ... THEN the Gun Drone GAINS a Taunt Aura.
  4. When the Gun Drone reaches 0 HP and is defeated, the Timebomb is triggered for additional damage (beyond the Gun Drone just destructing).

Note that you would still be able to use Timebomb independently of the Gun Drone ... it's just that you'd have the added functionality of using the Gun Drone as a "lure" that then triggers the Timebomb at a most opportune moment.

Basically a lemons vs lemonade kind of functionality option.

Opinions?

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

I think it would be neat. @Redlynne

That would hit the goal of having somewhere else for bullets to go that's not your face, but on your own terms. But as you mentioned, implementation may not be realistic. 

Actually ... on second thought ... it might be possible ...

When Trick Arrow casts Oil Slick Arrow it summons an Oil Slick Pet.

When the Oil Slick takes Fire or Energy Damage the Oil Slick Pet unsummons and gets replaced by an ON FIRE Oil Slick Pet.

Same methodology/logic could be used here (theoretically).

Summon Gun Drone without Taunt Aura.

Use Timebomb on Gun Drone so as to "unsummon" current Gun Drone and replace it with a "summons" of a second variant type of Gun Drone that has a Taunt aura and does a "big boom" when destroyed (courtesy of Timebomb).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

3 hours ago, josh1622 said:

Venom is all crabs have.  What would be the point of them if another AT got their best power?

Venom was being used as an example: You can take the crab venom, or you can take the wolf venom, but you cannot take both.

Taunt and no-Taunt Gun Drone could get the same design treatment: One can choose either power.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Note that you would still be able to use Timebomb independently of the Gun Drone ... it's just that you'd have the added functionality of using the Gun Drone as a "lure" that then triggers the Timebomb at a most opportune moment.

Basically a lemons vs lemonade kind of functionality option.

Opinions?

Blow two power choices for omega maneuver, which is still not going to be worth it unless it's CD is lowered to match the nuke overhaul of I24, and the gun drone itself is still rendered useless again in the process.

No thank you.

14 hours ago, ScarySai said:

Blow two power choices for omega maneuver, which is still not going to be worth it unless it's CD is lowered to match the nuke overhaul of I24, and the gun drone itself is still rendered useless again in the process.

No thank you.

Have two powers that still continue to work exactly as they are on Live, sans the Taunt you so eagerly want to get rid of, but also create a new option for soloists like me.

Yes, please.  Seriously, read Red's suggestion and realize it gives up nothing, gets you your taunt-less drone, and lets me "build" one.

7 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Have two powers that still continue to work exactly as they are on Live, sans the Taunt you so eagerly want to get rid of, but also create a new option for soloists like me.

Yes, please.  Seriously, read Red's suggestion and realize it gives up nothing, gets you your taunt-less drone, and lets me "build" one.

Its over-complicating a simple issue. Time bomb being a remotely placed entity with taunt would accomplish the same thing, realistically, I doubt CP would ever implement that.

Edited by ScarySai

1 minute ago, ScarySai said:

Its overcomplicating a simple issue. Time bomb being a remotely placed entity with taunt would accomplish the same thing.

Ok, changing the goalpost here but... yes, for sure it's adding complication.  But the remotely placed taunt time bomb really is an Omega Maneuver clone at that point. 

I mean, I'm honestly not against it, but we already had one complaint about stepping on VEAT toes.  So yeah, that would be an acceptable route (bias: says the person who thinks EATs should've just been power sets for other ATs).

14 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Ok, changing the goalpost here

Improper use of that, but sure.

The solution to an ill-conceived taunt aura problem isn't to formulate an over-complex fusion mechanic to device abilities that will never see the light of day.

Would it be cool? Sure, that'd be cool. I don't like the drone/bomb fusion example, but it could be neat in other places.

Will it ever happen? Not a chance.

Edited by ScarySai