Sentinel DPS sheet

Underfyre

• 2 weeks later

Hi @underfyre !!!

I began to read this, but I still dont know how to fill your sheet haha!

Will begin trying to understand it better to track dps and add the new two AR/Regen combos on the other thread, but perhaps @plainguy will know how to do it better?

I have to confess shamelessly excel sheets and me do not get along very well but amazing work on the sheet, looks quite detailed!

Big hugs to you! 🙂

---------------------------------------

From Venezuela with Love!

---------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later
12 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

Are this and the Blaster sheet modeling Arcane Power for Arcane Bolt at all?  And does it just have infinite duration Enflame?

I totally have not modeled Arcane Bolt or Enflame. I haven't put a ton of thought into how it would be modeled either, especially because I couldn't find the data on the proc chance. Then I'd have to track that with each ability used. I was kinda pressed into adding the pool abilities to the sheet on Blasters. You may note that I still don't have them in the Sentinel sheet.

5 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

It just sucks that the archetype I want to play is a dumpster fire.

I wouldn't say that, it's just wildly underperforming from what they envisioned it to be once enhancements are involved. Nothing about the inherent of the AT scales except for the -res debuff, which isn't much. If they coded the Opportunity procs to scale with enhancements ...well it'd still suck, but it'd suck slightly less.

6 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

So, what'd numbers actually turn into?  Non-dumpster fire?

Well, some were posting previously that the numbers were at less than half Scrapper DPS.  Now with about 10% bump.   Hmmm, carry the 12.   Add the static back in.   Hmmm.  Right about garbage still. 

Seriously though. It is about what job you can do with the AT.  A Sentinel should be at range a lot more than a Scrapper and that avoids a lot of obstacles in modern play.   Brutes and Scrappers have to contend with unresistable damage patches in their range.  Sentinels can survive (briefly) environments that will flatten a Blaster.  I once saw Jackie Chan describe a stunt where he was using a crate to (just for a second) get a car to hesitate from crushing someone.  In that time Jackie could jump to the cars hood.  Of course Hollywood never let him get away with those stunts. But a Sentinel can do crazy stuff once in a while and keep DPS up where pure melee cannot.  Basically, pure graphs of numbers do not tell the full story.  What can you do with a Sentinel?

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

This boost was not enough (in my opinion) but it was something and it changed the horrid inherent to something (again, in my opinion) better.  This Dev team moves pretty conservatively on altering basic game play.  We can hope for a future change, but if one comes it might be a year or more away.  I expect them to sit back and look at how this changes things for a while.   Again, a Sentinel is a Duck, it can fly, it can swim, it can move around on the ground.  It is not the best at any of these activities.  It will never match a Peregrine Falcon, or a Cheetah, or a Dolphin.  

11 minutes ago, Snarky said:

It will never match a Peregrine Falcon...

Ya'know it's funny that you mention me, because I just rerolled my signature character on Torchbearer as a Fire/Energy Aura Sentinel.

The plan, if I like it enough to get to 50, is to get some damage buff set bonuses and slot attacks with the HOs that are Dam/Range.

I'll let you know how it goes, if you're interested.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Ya'know it's funny that you mention me, because I just rerolled my signature character on Torchbearer as a Fire/Energy Aura Sentinel.

The plan, if I like it enough to get to 50, is to get some damage buff set bonuses and slot attacks with the HOs that are Dam/Range.

I'll let you know how it goes, if you're interested.

It was weird because right after i posted this i looked at another thread and saw your name.  I was like…wait a minute.   

Just remember though, the Sentinel will never be a Pere… uh, well, in your case, ….

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:50 PM, DarknessEternal said:

So, what'd numbers actually turn into?  Non-dumpster fire?

Like I said on one of these other posts, it boosted the average (between all powersets) from a 218 to a 239 for a 9% increase. That's the maximum end with Bio. Stone actually averages a 238, fire is dragging behind with a 223, and...maybe I should do an average using Regen or something to get the unboosted baseline.

And like @Snarky said, it was a boost, but it wasn't enough for my tastes. But it was also too much in the eyes of the Blaster try-hards? I think a lot of the problem is that the AT has essentially no risk v reward to it. It's just a ranged AT, and that's about it. They're in virtually no danger, and they have no reason to put themselves in danger to increase their damage. I mean, they can. But the increase you get from wading into melee to use your one melee attack from your epic pool does just about nothing to help catch up on damage. The change made the inherent slightly less clunky, but the clunk still exists. And it's only for a single target, and it could honestly be doing more given that fact.

We got something, but it'll probably be another 2 and a half years before they take another look, all the while creeping the damage up on every other damage AT in the meantime. Honestly I'd like to take a pass through the under-performing sets like Water, Psi and Energy before we worry about trying to get a better inherent or something.

Edited by Underfyre
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sums it up well. Blasters do about Sentinel damage if they stick 100% at range. They double by being in melee and using their super potent melee moves. Sentinels don't even have melee moves other than one in epic or PbAoEs.

As much as people want the AT to be buffed it's right where it belongs doing safe ranged damage requiring minimum movement.

• Like 1