Storm/Rad Defender?

Clave Dark 5

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Well damn, guess I know what my build is going to be when I hit 50.  Thanks for that and pointing that out.

ETA;  But hey, "can apply the -20% res Achilles proc in a pbaoe" you say.  I haven't checked the numbers for this very proc, but I thought conventional wisdom said procs weren't terribly useful in area effect things and therefore not worth slotting there?

it's about a 37% chance in irradiate, 57% in haze , 37% in neutron, and 90% (capped) in atomic blast.

pbaoe aren't common for squishies so I'd consider the fury of glad proc in irradiate myself

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later

Some great posts here already about the use of hurricane. Just to reiterate that it’s not a toggle you need/should always have on. Use it intelligently and it’s very powerful. 

Also the -hit from hurricane lasts 10 seconds, so once you tag them all with hurricane they remain debuffed for a little while. So you could turn off hurricane and go in for the pbaoe.

I used it on my controller to good effect. For Defenders I imagine it would be even more useful because you’re not relying on control powers to lockdown mobs. Hurricane comes under ‘soft control’ which can be just as effective as an aoe hold.

Hurricane obviously shines in enclosed areas where you can pin a group of enemies to the wall, floor their accuracy, then hit them with freezing rain debuffing their defence and resistance, and completely obliterating the poor defenceless mobs.

Achilles heel -resist also works amazing in freezing rain, as the proc stacks with the regular -res from the power, liquefying their defences. 

I find snowstorm the most skippable power in the set, but that’s not because it isn’t good because it is a strong power, but the snare and recharge debuff didn’t seem so needed in a set where you are already debuffing them to hell and back. 

But it does highlight the power of storm. You can pretty much debuff every attribute of the enemy with the exception of -damage and -regen.

The weakness of storm was always the knockbacks, especially from lightning storm. Now you can slow them to knockdown changes things completely (a bit like how it changes Grav control man wormhole into something really amazing). It’s quite exciting!

As for /Rad I don’t know much about it. I imagine the pairing is less common more due to theme than power. Most people who go storm like to pair it with nature themed powers. Or they try to fill the debuff gap and link it to sets with -regen.

Edited by Peacemoon

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Everything you said about Hurricane is what I'm finding.  It's an occasional-use power that's best indoors; sometimes I use for just a "get away from me" power, sometimes when luck lines up, to compress a mob back into a corner for the rest of the team to AoE away at.  Gale tends to be the power I use most, no one can hit us when they keep having to stand back up!  I just team so it's been working out great, although at level 44 where I am now, I'm starting to get a sense that I could probably solo if I was careful.  My actual attacks still feel a little underwhelming, but I still have some slotting that needs to be done with them, plus that's about par for course the other Defenders I've played, ha ha.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝