Replay Value - CoH

Fan Mail

2 hours ago, Kyksie said:

OMG, I used to love FRUA back in the day and made a dozen terrible, terrible adventures for it. This was back before the internet exploded, so mercifully I didn't inflict them on anyone. I found the site you mentioned half a dozen years ago and have used it as an example of 'why are they still around'.

Which were the ones you made? I may have played them.

I made Masters of the Universe,  the Adventures of Wonder Woman; the Yezukriis series (The Curse of Yezukriis; Yezukriis 2: Goosed by the Geas; Yezukriis 3: Lifestyles of the Lich and Famous; Yezukriis 4: Scandal at Guano Gate),  the Adventures of Maciste, The Whole Armor, and Test of the Paladins - at least these are the ones I remember. 

Edited by Heraclea
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I often find myself going back to Team Fortress 2 quite often.  Despite the current state of the game what with people running waves of bot accounts to grief public servers it still holds up with some of the best shooter gameplay to date.  The game's art, humor, and excellent gameplay still hold up and it's super easy to just drop in for a round or two whenever you want without having to commit to full matches like most modern shooters.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

21 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I made Masters of the Universe,  the Adventures of Wonder Woman; the Yezukriis series (The Curse of Yezukriis; Yezukriis 2: Goosed by the Geas; Yezukriis 3: Lifestyles of the Lich and Famous; Yezukriis 4: Scandal at Guano Gate),  the Adventures of Maciste, The Whole Armor, and Test of the Paladins - at least these are the ones I remember. 

Hmmmm, test of the paladins sounds vaguely familiar, I may have played that.

Every now and again, I get the idea in my head to go through all the Lego games, from Star Wars all the way through to... erm whatever the last one was (they get less memorable as the years go by) - Ninjago or something like that. I still have to drag my PS3 out in order to play Lego LOTR. 

And speaking of LOTR, I find myself revisting LOTRO every other year or so, starting a new character and then never getting much past Moria. I was doing it again when returning to COH took my fancy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I’ve found myself pretty consistently playing through a bunch of the Resident Evil games multiple times a year for the past few years.

For games I replay a ton they tend to be games you can get through in a few hours at the most.

Friend and I have been revisiting L4D2 mostly due to him finally getting an internet connection that allowed for it but also prepping should Back4Blood turn out to be good.

During the dark times of no CoH, I logged over 3000 hours in Fallout 4. Grim Dawn also saw an excessive amount of gameplay.

I also reloaded Vamp: The Masq before I even heard a new one was (hopefully) going to be released. Even with the community patch, still so buggy but they nailed the feel of the PnP RPG so well it didn't matter. Come to think on it.... just like Cyberpunk 2077.

Another I love loading up from time to time, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War. I should do that again.

Colonization, Moo2, Civilization.

I am replaying Lego Star Wars on the Wii with my wife.

Not endless replay, but we love the Nancy Drew games from Her Interactive.  There are about 30 of them and we just replayed them all last year with our daughter.  So we've played each of them 4+ times. 

On 1/31/2021 at 3:12 PM, Grindingsucks said:

I recently downloaded Galactic Civilizations III.  It looks really cool, and I'm hoping it'll become one of my new favorites.  It's really complex though, and I haven't been able to find a good online tutorial.  Just gonna have to bite the bullet and sit down with it and learn on my own, I guess.

Eesh. I played Galactic Civilization (the original) back on OS/2, long before there was a Windows port (or anyone being angry at Stardock for starting to develop for Windows. Object Desktop was much different, too.) The AI was pretty good even then - I was fairly proud of myself for getting a diplomatic victory back then.

As far as what I'll tend to go back and replay... hmm.

Command and Conquer 3. (Just the skirmishes, and solo. The campaign got messed up thanks to "balancing" stuff for multiplayer - that didn't affect the AI.) With the remaster of the original C&C and RA, I've been hopping to that a good bit, too.

Missionforce: Cyberstorm.  Not *frequently,* but often enough.

World Empire V.

I *wish* someone would do a remake of Mechwarrior II and Ghost Bears Legacy. Just update graphics, do what's needed so it can run on modern systems, get online play working again, keep the missions going as they were. (And the multiplayer. I want to see if I can take an Elemental to the top of Spire of Destiny and destroy a 100 ton 'mech by dropping on it from 2k up. Sure, it kills ME, too, but...)

Same with Syndicate. Cleaned up graphics, widescreen friendly, leave the gameplay.

Once I'm in the new place, I'll have to dig out my Myth and Myth II disks - I'm fairly sure a community made graphical update hit those in the last few years, but my disks have been packed away somewhere. They're a great set of games.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 1 month later

Ah, well Civilization games have great replay value for me.  That's why they've always been on my computers since the original was launched... 30 years ago?  Jeez.

Star Wars Galaxies has limited replay values.  One for each class (8).  After that, not so much but it's worth playing for the class stories alone.

• 1 year later

Like a few others, when there was no CoH I played a lot of Fallout, replayed a lot of Fallout.  Original, F2, F3, New Vegas and 4 but haven't actually finished 4.  Fallout 76 can eat my hinder though.  Also played Wasteland and Wasteland 2 which the old Fallout came from technically.  Also dipped back into Eve Online but just running around the Wasteland has infinite replayability for me.

But CoH is still the king and Queen of replayability to me because the same mission plays out a dozen different ways depending on your AT and powers.  Take Dirge of Chaos; I know that mission's every beat and yet some toons get their buttocks handed to them and other toons hand the buttocks.  Low level mission - Illusion solo = pain, all other ATsa fine.  Hooray variety and conversely replayability.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 3/9/2021 at 11:56 PM, DougGraves said:

Colonization, Moo2, Civilization.

The unholy strategy game trifecta.  Throw in Masters of Magic to make it an unholy strategy game four-fecta.  Though to be honest, Colonization wasn't at the top of my list back then (like, way back then) and it fell completely off my radar, but I think this wiser, more meditative, and pudgier version of me might like it a lot...

Still finding tons of replay value in Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Mount & Blade: Warband, but I will confess I only play F4 for the settlement game.  I'm starting to resent the, you know, actual story missions.

I'll sign up for the LOTRO day-tripper list.  I can never really stay in it for long, but can't quite let it go, either.

Edited by TheOtherTed
splelling

On 8/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, TheOtherTed said:

I'll sign up for the LOTRO day-tripper list.  I can never really stay in it for long, but can't quite let it go, either.

I've not played LOTRO for a handful of years now, though I generally liked it.  The big problem for me was that "dark" seemed to be a major emphasis with them.  Not so much tone (though there was that) as visuals. Not only the day/night cycle, but caves (including massive Moria) and their visual interpretation of the ever-increasing influence of Sauron.   I began to realize it was pushing me towards real life Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I reluctantly parted ways.  It's been years so perhaps I can go back, at least for a little while.  I've no idea where the game story is in context with the Tolkien story at this point.  I'd had wishful hopes for some time that we be given a chance for new content and new stories going to the east and south, either as a continuation of the mop-up efforts of Gondor after Sauron's fall (possibly dealing with warlords rising to fill the void) or some sort of reference to the past in the East and South, possibly following the resistance under the Blue Wizards.

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

The big problem for me was that "dark" seemed to be a major emphasis with them.

I get that.  For me, one big early turn-off was all the red everything all over everything theme that Angmar had going on.  And to be honest, I never had a character get much farther than Rivendell - partly because I kind of felt "done" by that time, and partly because I had more fun farming (like, literally planting and growing crops) than anything else.

Edited by TheOtherTed
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later
On 2/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, Fan Mail said:

I have been addicted to games that have replay value.   For the longest time, I always have a replay value game in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.  When CoX was gone this was my go-to for years.  I still have the installation CDs.

There are almost limitless values to CoH (as long as it's available).  Are there any other games to you that hold that value to you?  If this has already been asked, I don't mean to duplicate.   Just asking.

Nice, I have the installion CDs as well. I even have the CoX figurines. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:59 PM, gamegodreturns said:

Nice, I have the installion CDs as well. I even have the CoX figurines. 

I think I have the strategy guide stashed away somewhere - even at launch, it was hilariously useless.  There was some nice fluff in there, though...

• 4 weeks later
On 1/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, biostem said:

I think I have the strategy guide stashed away somewhere - even at launch, it was hilariously useless.  There was some nice fluff in there, though...

And some interesting bits liek the original plans for Faultline as a trial zone...

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:40 PM, biostem said:

I think the boxes are long gone and the CDs are filed away in some dark, dark corner, but still have the two comic books that came with it - the Dark Horse one and the PvP special edition...

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.