Anime for Tankers

Yeah, since I'm currently avoiding housework or working on the blog post I should be working on...  I went back and made an alternate version.  I think this is a much better representation of Loving Sacrifice.  Reversing the colors of the boots and gloves worked too, I just had a slight preference for this version.

400003851_LovingSacrificeII.thumb.png.f08d0099a7c3ab5de16493ff524a766f.png

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

3 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I can't find any wings that I like/work well with my Super Sentai version.

There's a set of wings that are more like a tech-backpack, and they're quite compact when folded down, (see this post for an example of what it looks like folded down).

Also, back to the original topic, check out Absolute Duo - it's about some people that get weapons that represent their soul, and one character got a shield instead...

Edited by biostem

1 hour ago, biostem said:

There's a set of wings that are more like a tech-backpack, and they're quite compact when folded down, (see this post for an example of what it looks like folded down).

Yeah, I tried those.  Didn't care for them.  I don't know why, but I really don't care for most of the wings available.  It's just me.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Also, back to the original topic, check out Absolute Duo - it's about some people that get weapons that represent their soul, and one character got a shield instead...

I think I dropped that one three-four episodes in.  Great concepts, but the execution was...  not that great.  (YMMV of course.)

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

1 minute ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I think I dropped that one three-four episodes in.  Great concepts, but the execution was...  not that great.  (YMMV of course.)

Yeah, I don't think I finished that series, either.

In the 'Yakuza Arc' of My Hero Academia, they introduce a professional hero named "Fat Gum", who could expend the fat in his body to absorb damage or for additional strength;  interesting take on a "Tank" if you ask me...

1 minute ago, biostem said:

In the 'Yakuza Arc' of My Hero Academia, they introduce a professional hero named "Fat Gum", who could expend the fat in his body to absorb damage or for additional strength;  interesting take on a "Tank" if you ask me...

*nods*  That would be interesting game mechanic - you can withstand almost anything so long as your stock of energy holds out.  But when it's gone, you're done for.  Or if (like Red Riot) you could only do for a limited time.  The health/endurance mechanic in CoX doesn't quite capture either.  But then CoX is built to be fun for the players rather than dramatic for the readers.

That's one of the things I like about MHA, so many interesting and different superpowers and the mangaka doesn't forget that limitations matter too...  Even kinda weird and wonky Quirks (like Gentle Criminal's) can turn out to be surprisingly powerful.  Absolute overpowered heroes (like All Might) are on the rare side.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

screenshot_200408-15-49-47.thumb.jpg.d653a9514e95c5e0ccdaf82d2d0b84e3.jpg

Turns out I wasn't quite done with Maple...  Went back and recolored her powers for her Loving Sacrifice form.

screenshot_200408-15-46-40.thumb.jpg.4d7863c7b14633fe314c103922cb6907.jpg

And finally worked out a Mecha God Maple outfit that I'm about 90% satisfied with, or about as satisfied as I'm going to get with the parts available ingame.

Tried for an Annihilation version...  But I bounce hard off of animal parts and gave up.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, biostem said:

I'm enjoying the series as well.  Granted, the whole absorption ability and gaining resistances by being exposed to a particular damage type is definitely OP, (which I suppose is kind of the point).

Bio armor anyone? lol.

Edited by ZeeHero

On 2/24/2020 at 9:12 AM, FireBrandi said:

Started watching this anime a couple days ago:   "BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense"

The main character starts a new MMO.  Unsure of herself she goes for high defense... and ends up creating the most OP character in the game.  In spending stat points she puts it all into defense.  There are a couple quirks in the game mechanics to help characters survive long enough to run, by buffing defense when fighting creatures with much higher strength and agility, and since she didn't put anything into those, she ends up with defense x8 .  She is freaking out the developers even after they nerf some of her skills.    Only 5 episodes in and I'm loving it

On your recommendation, I went and bought Season 1 on Amazon.
LOVE IT!
Ep 1: Maxes defense, falls asleep and winds up Level 8 with big poison resistance and recovery.
Ep 2: Hey! There's a POISON DRAGON!

I also love the forum/chat conversations.

"I tried what she did and melted instantly!"

BWAHAHAHA!

DARN IT FIREBRANDI!
I JUST SPENT HALF THE NIGHT BINGEING IT INSTEAD OF SLEEPING!
I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF!

:classic_angry::classic_angry:

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Haha 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 4/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, Hyperstrike said:

DARN IT FIREBRANDI!
I JUST SPENT HALF THE NIGHT BINGEING IT INSTEAD OF SLEEPING!
I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF!

:classic_angry::classic_angry:

My work here is done!  Mwuhahahahahhahha!!!!

.... er ... sorry.  Must have been red-side when posting. 😉

55 minutes ago, FireBrandi said:

My work here is done!  Mwuhahahahahhahha!!!!

.... er ... sorry.  Must have been red-side when posting. 😉

No biggie.  I spent most of the series trying not to laugh so loud that I'd wake everyone in the house up.

And all the Tank tropes...

The one episode with the heal-tanking reminded me of TeamFortress:

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 1 month later

I finished watching both seasons of Terra Formars;  It's a very gory series, and there's a lot of filler at times, but there are several characters that stand out as "tanky".  The characters underwent an operation to give them aspects of different creatures, (mostly insects, but sometimes other creatures), and two stand out to me as being extra tanky:  The first is a Russian commander who has aspects of a deep water crab, giving him a carapace that is so strong that he can shrug off powerful attacks like they weren't there.  Another has characteristics of a pistol shrimp.  In the case of the latter, though, it's more that the person was a championship boxer, who is resilient due to training and a strong will, rather than the creature they were spliced with.

Another somewhat entertaining series is Killing Bites.  It's a little heavy on the fan service, but it's pretty interesting.  The main character was spliced with a ratel (honey badger) and is extremely resilient as a result.  There's also a character crossed with a pangolin, who is extremely durable.

Edited by biostem

16 hours ago, Oginth said:

Guts - Broad Sword / Willpower, he naturally draws aggro.

Please ...

TITAN WEAPONS/WILLPOWER Scrapper

spacer.png

Edited by Redlynne
  • Thanks 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

10 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Please ...

TITAN WEAPONS/WILLPOWER Scrapper

(Took Picture away because of spacereasons. sry.)

Shouldn't Guts (The Main Character in a Manga Series called ''Berserker''.

Spoiler

Who even later gets an ''Berserker Armor''

be a Brute TW/W BRUTE instead of a SCRAPPER?

Because...you know...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ashington said:

Shouldn't Guts (The Main Character in a Manga Series called ''Berserker''.

Hide contents

Who even later gets an ''Berserker Armor''

be a Brute TW/W BRUTE instead of a SCRAPPER?

Gut's Brand of Sacrifice attracts evil spirits, so shouldn't he be Tanker? A very scrappy brutish Tanker.

5 hours ago, Ashington said:

Shouldn't Guts be a Brute TW/W BRUTE instead of a SCRAPPER?

Brutes have ramp up/ramp down cycles with Fury.

Guts doesn't need to use any kind of Fury to ramp up/ramp down his power.  He's a capable of delivering maximum devastation/power on his alpha strike ... which is a Scrapper attribute rather than a Brute attribute.

But then, Guts is totally OP (except when he's not) so it's hardly a 1:1 comparison mapping.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 7 months later

• 1 year later
  • 1 month later

You want anime? You want Anime TANKERS and BRUTES? You like GIANT ROBOTS?
Well then! I got you covered! 
xBRq8Y2.png

OBIXycX.png

Sound Effect: **KA-SHIIIIIIINGK**

fm6LyEY.png
An homage to Gundam Barbatos - In-game named Ronin Barbatos. Brute: Titan Weapons/INV. 
INSANELY powerful burst damage and durability. And I did have him have a taunt as well. He's very effective as the classic Brute - High Damage output, not as high as a scrapper, but can easily serve as an "Off Tank" as well. 

This next one is a similar look - but in the way he plays, Dynamo Typhoon is almost more of a Gypsy Danger homage than a Gundam. But since Pacific Rim is such a loving homage to anime giant robots (and kaiju), then I think either interpretation works.  ELBOW ROCKET!!! 
Hand-to-Hand classic Tanker all the way! Super Strength/Willpower, with some temp powers and Epic Pools that give him some limited range attacks.
MoPYPlZ.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later