What is the point of...

PeterDutcher

1 hour ago, Ulysses Dare said:

It happens with certain pieces because when they were made being able to see them from below wasn't contemplated. So the artist saved time—and processor cycles—by not drawing a surface on the bottom. In the virtual world, transparent is the default state.

☝️

This.

Rendering textures uses resources, which is why so many items do not have textures on the bottom/top/back.

Which is why I was so baffled when I found a hole in Faultline and got to explore around underneath it and found so much of the original Faultline's canyon intact. No wonder Faultline is such a lagfest even when not that many people are present in the zone.

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Which is why I was so baffled when I found a hole in Faultline and got to explore around underneath it and found so much of the original Faultline's canyon intact. No wonder Faultline is such a lagfest even when not that many people are present in the zone.

Did it have any mobs?

7 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Did it have any mobs?

Just the normal mobs in the zone. Nothing below the new water level. If I recall correctly, the old 'floor' was removed and the buildings that had been there, but the canyon wall were huge, going down at least as far as the war wall went up. Most of which you cannot see from above but still get generated none the less.

They patched the hole I used to access it, by the way. It was kind of interesting seeing the hospital from the outside. Three identical floors that you rez in that lead to the lobby.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Just to give you an idea of some of the stuff you don't see but is generated anyway.

View_from_the_other_side.thumb.jpg.71daee8b0e33e8c5445d97e5d0e93742.jpg

All these objects are like Lego® blocks snapped together, but you may only see a portion of the piece. Many walls and ceilings are textured on only one side, which is why you can see into these rooms.

3 hours ago, Guardia said:

Backface and occlusion culling of unseen surface textures should help with the rendering load. Does anyone know if CoH uses this?

That would be a question for one of the Devs.

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

What is the point of posting a thread with an incomplete title? 😉

To make you ask questions...

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 2/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, ShardWarrior said:

This is why I like the popover preview you can get when you hover over a title, saves me from entering a thread I wouldn't be commenting in anyway.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, ShardWarrior said:

Click bait, duh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty