Focused Feedback: New IO Sets (Build 1)

Jimmy

• City Council

Please use this topic to discuss the new IO sets.

Extract from the patch notes:

New IO Sets

• Synapses_Shock.png.e86b11582a32e4f1102344b5ff9db565.png Synapse's Shock (Endurance Modification, Rare, 21-50)
    • The first of two new Endurance Modification sets with a damage focus, designed to be useful in endurance-draining attack powers.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Endurance Modification
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge
      • Damage / Recharge / Accuracy
      • Damage / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • UNIQUE: Endurance Modification / 15% Increased Movement Speed
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 7.5% Movement Speed
      • 3: 15% Slow Resistance
      • 4: 4% Regeneration
      • 5: 6.25% Recharge
      • 6: 4.5% Energy / Negative Resistance + 7.5% Mez Resistance
  • Power_Transfer.png.388c155a5c6018f984e46a69823a6268.png Power Transfer (Endurance Modification, Rare, 21-50)
    • The second damage-focused Endurance Modification set.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Endurance Modification
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Damage
      • Damage / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • Damage / Recharge / Accuracy / Endurance Reduction
      • UNIQUE: Chance to Heal Self (2 PPM)
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 6% Regeneration
      • 3: 1.35% Max Endurance
      • 4: 1.875% Max Health
      • 5: 9% Accuracy
      • 6: 7.5% Recharge
  • premature.png.d6f124ba240dce54359047217fe69987.png Preemptive Optimization (Endurance Modification, Uncommon, 21-50)
    • An Endurance Modification set with a focus on ally buff abilities that don't require accuracy or deal damage.
    • Enhancements: 
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge
      • Endurance Modification / Endurance Reduction
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge / Endurance Reduction
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge / Range
      • Recharge / Endurance Reduction / Range
      • Endurance Modification / Recharge / Endurance Reduction / Range
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 1.8% Max Endurance
      • 3: 1.5% Max Health
      • 4: 3% Toxic / Psionic Resistance + 5% Mez Resistance
      • 5: 3.75% Recharge
      • 6: 3.75% Ranged Defense + 1.875 Energy / Negative Defense
  • Bombardment.png.29edcb4d5fb11068d0d15d24dab135b1.png Bombardment (Targeted AoE, Rare, 30-50)
    • Enhancements: 
      • Damage
      • Accuracy / Recharge
      • Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Damage / Recharge
      • Accuracy / Damage / Recharge / Endurance Reduction
      • Chance for Fire Damage (3.5 PPM)
    • Set Bonuses: 
      • 2: 5% Increased Range
      • 3: 2.25% Smashing / Lethal Resistance + 3.75% Mez Resistance
      • 4: 9% Accuracy
      • 5: 6.25% Recharge
      • 6: 3.75% Ranged Defense + 1.875 Energy / Negative Defense
  • These sets are not yet available for free from the merit vendor for testing purposes. This will be rectified in an upcoming patch.
    • In the meantime you can use the /boost_set command with any of the following names to get a copy of the set:
      • Synapses_Shock
      • Power_Transfer
      • Preemptive_Optimization
      • Bombardment
    • For example, to get a level 50 set of Synapse's Shock:
      • /boost_set Synapses_Shock 50
Edited by The Curator

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Just gonna reiterate what I posted in the patch note thread, that it would be great if the Damage and Acc/Rech IOs in Bombardment were replaced with Acc/Dam and Dam/End/Rech IOs to shore up the set’s feeble end discount properties. But even if that doesn’t happen, it still looks like a good set, and it’ll probably become the Blaster go-to, since they don’t really have to worry about endurance.

As for the other sets, more EndMod/Rech IOs is gonna be very convenient for frankenslotting Power Sink; no more having to settle for Acc/EndMod/Rech IOs.  I’m concerned, however, that the End Mod sets for damaging powers are going to go underused. I’m at work and can’t really run the numbers, but it looks like if you fully slot either set, you’ll only get around 60% or so damage enhancement.

Edit: Here are the total enhancement values the sets currently give at 50 after ED:

Synapse's Shock

Accuracy: 42.4%

Damage: 68.9%

Recharge:  73.8%

End Cost: 21.2%

End Mod: 91.8%

Power Transfer

Accuracy: 39.7%

Damage: 89.9%

Recharge: 45%

End Cost: 39.7%

End Mod: 68.9%

Preemptive Optimization

Recharge:  96.3%

End Cost: 85.7%

End Mod: 97.1%

Range: 36.7%

Bombardment

Accuracy: 66.3%

Damage: 96.3%

Recharge:  89.9%

End Cost: 18.5%

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bombardment

Pretty much every set bonus in Bombardment is useful, so that's very good. 

As for stats, I partially agree with Vanden. I think the Acc/recharge one is fine as-is, but the pure damage one being replaced with a dam/end/rech would be nice.

Bombardment's looking to be a 10/10 set from me.

Synapse's Shock Proc

Bug report: The icon for this set's proc shows up in the player's buff window, and looks really out of place.

image.png.a25bbca8ce9f5c74cb07370ff62c52da.png

The proc and set bonus for Synapse's set is pretty good, especially when stacked with my /TA blaster's movement bonuses. It's certainly something to consider when you have the spare slots in stamina for every build.

Power Transfer & Preemptive Optimization & Synapse stats + sets.

Power transfer's set bonuses are fine, and it's clearly more geared for damage, but the proc seems incredibly weak.

If it came down to power transfer and PO, I'd probably find a way to maximize damage while keeping the PO bonuses. The actual stats on these sets are really bad if they are meant for attacks.

TL:DR: 

Bombardment is 10/10.

Synapse proc is good for some builds.

Decent set bonuses on the end sets, overall stats on them are really bad if they are intended for attacks.

Edited by ScarySai

Need more damage inside the endurance mods. It’s one out of 18 right now. You’re not going to move me off 3 VR Pbaoe and 3 perfect shifter.

And a 3rd bonus in Synapse 4 percent regen? Shouldn’t it be 12?

Love the Synapse unique and think Gift of the Ancients should become 7.5 movement as well

The Heal proc is weak but it’s in line with Call of  

the Sandman. I wish it scaled with actual HP vs base.

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Bombardment  seems amazing. I like the suggestion of Dam -> Acc/Dam and Acc/Rech-> Dam/End/Rech to help with the high end cost AoEs that will love this. It could even drop the 6.25% recharge down to 5% and still get slotted over Posi.

• Like 1

I see a lot of folks offering suggestions on replacing Damage with something else, so I'll throw in mine as well. How about replacing Damage with DMG/Range to give cones some love?

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

13 minutes ago, Rejolt said:

Love the Synapse unique and think Gift of the Ancients should become 7.5 movement as well

The Heal proc is weak but it’s in line with Call of  

the Sandman. I wish it scaled with actual HP vs base.

Doing the first item will basically replace all super jumps with ninja run. I'll need to look at the numbers but I bet you could cap jump speed easily. *note, I'm working on something that will work on the numbers, just havent had time to edit yet*

As for the second item, I was hoping the PPM would be 3 or 3.5, similar to Theft of Essence. 2 PPM feels low for a 5% base health return.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

3 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I see a lot of folks offering suggestions on replacing Damage with something else, so I'll throw in mine as well. How about replacing Damage with DMG/Range to give cones some love?

Aw come on man, you gotta leave Positron’s Blast with something!

2 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Aw come on man, you gotta leave Positron’s Blast with something!

Honestly, I'm thinking of using 5 Positrons with the Bombardment Proc. I love that I can 5 slot PB with no recharge to maximize proc potential.

1 minute ago, DanofEarth said:

I'm attempting to get them from the merit vendor but they all have a cost unlike the rest of the IO sets. Can this be fixed or is there another way to get them?

From the OP (emphasis added):

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

These sets are not yet available for free from the merit vendor for testing purposes. This will be rectified in an upcoming patch.

• In the meantime you can use the /boost_set command with any of the following names to get a copy of the set:
    • Synapses_Shock
    • Power_Transfer
    • Preemptive_Optimization
    • Bombardment
  • For example, to get a level 50 set of Synapse's Shock:
    • /boost_set Synapses_Shock 50

54 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Doing the first item will basically replace all super jumps with ninja run. I'll need to look at the numbers but I bet you could cap jump speed easily. *note, I'm working on something that will work on the numbers, just havent had time to edit yet*

As for the second item, I was hoping the PPM would be 3 or 3.5, similar to Theft of Essence. 2 PPM feels low for a 5% base health return.

All movement helps a character in combat with travel off or modestly with things like hover, CJ and sprint. SJ caps very easily. 

Oddly, Ninja Run should be called Ninja Jumping. This may be a case of NR jumping too well. It is costly to use and shuts off a number of other powers. 

You have to turn on sprint with NR to really run well.

EDIT: Derp, the synapse is 15 run speed according to the info on the IO in game. Is this intended or should it be 15 to all movement?

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

8 minutes ago, DanofEarth said:

Literally scanned right over it due to the light blue probably, thanks!

It's easy to miss and you weren't the only one that did - as you said, the light blue doesn't provide a good contrast, which is why I changed the color when I quoted it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DMW45 said:

How good is the heal from Power Transfer?  I feel like that's something I'd like to throw in Stamina for chars who have extra slots.

Call of the Sandman level: 5 percent of base hp not boostable by heal bonuses or increased hp powers. It can be improve with heal resistance changes (incandescence). 

On a defender it proc'd 51 hit points less often than the hp/end from panacea. It's likely something you can use in AoEs like Fences, Ball lightning, fields... you know.. things Brutes and Tanks can use (hint hint).

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

Given the 2 set bonus is a global 5% boost to range it doesn't seem to be that much of a requirement internal to the slotted power. Especially as you can slot up to 5 of them depending on sets and power choices.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• Developer
3 hours ago, Vanden said:

Just gonna reiterate what I posted in the patch note thread, that it would be great if the Damage and Acc/Rech IOs in Bombardment were replaced with Acc/Dam and Dam/End/Rech IOs to shore up the set’s feeble end discount properties.

The lack of Endurance Reduction is an intentional downside to balance the set bonuses being all pretty good. If that hole is filled, the set bonuses need to come down a little; 6.25% recharge > 5% recharge for sure. The 9% accuracy can be changed to 2.5% damage or 2.5% endurance discount.

Edited by The Curator
  • Like 3

I figured there was some intention to the distribution. Seeing each enhancement value and the set bonuses, it doesn't look willy-nilly.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Developer
1 hour ago, Rejolt said:

And a 3rd bonus in Synapse 4 percent regen? Shouldn’t it be 12?

For IO set design, set bonuses have different tier numbers and you have to stay within certain constraints (unless you are making purple / pay-to-win microtransaction sets, which we're not). Synapse's Shock cheats two high tier bonuses early on (Increased Move tier 4, Slow Resist tier 5) so it needs to balance it out by having a tier-1 bonus somewhere; that's why the Regeneration bonus is so low. To increase the Regeneration bonus, something else needs to drop down a tier.

8 minutes ago, The Curator said:

The lack of Endurance Reduction is an intentional downside to balance the set bonuses being all pretty good. If that hole is filled, the set bonuses need to come down a little; 6.25% recharge > 5% recharge for sure. The 9% accuracy can be changed to 2.5% damage or 2.5% endurance discount.

I think the recharge change would be fair. I wouldn’t want to lose the Acc bonus though. When I originally proposed the set bonuses I put a 2.5% AoE Def bonus in the 6th slot instead of a 3.75% Ranged Def bonus, though, would that work? Or is AoE defense somehow considered a stronger set bonus even at a lower value?

• Developer
26 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I think the recharge change would be fair. I wouldn’t want to lose the Acc bonus though. When I originally proposed the set bonuses I put a 2.5% AoE Def bonus in the 6th slot instead of a 3.75% Ranged Def bonus, though, would that work? Or is AoE defense somehow considered a stronger set bonus even at a lower value?

Remember that this is a Rare set; the change you proposed (Dam/Add and Dam/Rech/End) makes the enhancement distribution 2/2/3/3/4/proc, which is more in line with purple/pvp/mtx sets. To have those numbers in a rare set, the bonuses need to come down a lot.

Current numbers for the set, before ED:

• 108.7% Damage
  • 92.8% Recharge
  • 66.3% Accuracy
  • 18.6% Endurance Reduction
  • Bonuses: 9% accuracy, 6.25% recharge

We can change the Acc/Rech to Acc/Rech/End, which would leave it with these numbers:

• 108.7% Damage
  • 87.5% Recharge
  • 61.0% Accuracy
  • 39.8% Endurance Reduction
  • Bonuses: 7% accuracy, 5% recharge
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Curator said:

We can change the Acc/Rech to Acc/Rech/End, which would leave it with these numbers:

• 108.7% Damage
  • 87.5% Recharge
  • 61.0% Accuracy
  • 39.8% Endurance Reduction
  • Bonuses: 7% accuracy, 5% recharge

That seems like an ideal compromise to me! But either way, it looks like Bombardment will be a very popular set.

• Like 1