Focused Feedback: Experimentation (Build 1 - 4)

Jimmy

• City Council

Please use this topic to discuss the new Experimentation Origin Pool.

Extract from the patch notes:

New Origin Power Pool: Experimentation

"Experimentation gives you access to poisonous ranged attacks as well as powers that boost your attack power and the survivability of your allies. This pool's travel power is Speed of Sound. While active, this power allows you to run at incredible speeds and also gives you access to the Jaunt power. Jaunt allows you to quickly teleport long distances once every so often."

• As a reminder: Only one Origin Pool (Sorcery, Force of Will, Experimentation) can be active in a build at any one time.

Powers

• Experimentation_ExperimentalInjection.png.e1f0abeaa6f32db113752bdcb16ebdf7.png T1: Experimental Injection (Melee Ranged, Ally +Regeneration, +Recovery, +Res(Status))
    • You inject an ally with a compound that greatly boosts their regeneration, recovery and resistance to status effects for a short time. Recharge: Long
  • Experimentation_ToxicDart.png.ef51480e90855fcf820de552509f36d5.png T2: Toxic Dart (Ranged, Minor DMG(Lethal), High DMG(Toxic))
    • You fire a toxic dart at your target causing an very minor amount of immediate lethal damage followed by a High amount of toxic damage over time. Recharge: Moderate
  • Experimentation_SpeedofSound.png.6719bebb9f024c41868ab7a94f0cf20e.png T3: Speed of Sound (Toggle: Self +Speed, (Special))
    • Your experiments have yielded incredible results. By activating this power, you're able to run at incredible speeds. In fact, while this power is active, you gain access to the Jaunt power. Jaunt allows you to teleport to a distant location once every short while.
    • Experimentation_Jaunt.png.67249f39d2cb10fcf7616cb666a06e38.png Jaunt (Click, Self Teleport)
      • Clicking on this power and then selecting a location will cause the caster to vanish and reappear at their target location. Recharge: Moderate
  • Experimentation_CorrosiveVial.png.a62eae4c84a492e753b72623de9e710c.png T4: Corrosive Vial (Ranged (Targeted AoE), High DoT(Toxic), -Defense)
    • You hurl a vial of toxic fluid that explodes upon impact leaving a corrosive puddle at your target's feet. Any foe that stands within the puddle will take toxic damage and have their defense reduced for a short while. Corrosive Vial requires you to have 2 powers from the Experimentation power pool. Damage: High (DoT), Recharge: Slow
  • Experimentation_AdrenalBooster.png.6d85824626eaadf12ae5aca039f7c6d1.png T5: Adrenal Booster (Self, +To Hit, +Recharge, +Damage, +Special)
    • You inject yourself with a concentrated experimental serum that boosts your damage, recharge, chance to hit and secondary effects for a short time. Adrenal Booster requires you to have 2 powers from the Experimentation power pool. Recharge: Very Long

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

So if you set yourself to auto run and then use Jaunt, when you initially teleport there's like a small delay before you start moving again after you finish teleporting. It would be cool if this wasn't there. I dunno if this was intentional or a tech limitations or whatever but it'd be neat.

32 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

So if you set yourself to auto run and then use Jaunt, when you initially teleport there's like a small delay before you start moving again after you finish teleporting. It would be cool if this wasn't there. I dunno if this was intentional or a tech limitations or whatever but it'd be neat.

This is the same with Translocation in Mystic Flight. Combined with the lack of slots for it (despite what the trainers say as you level) and the inability to put anything else in the pop-up bar (I'd like to put powexeclocation macros in the bar so I only see them when Translocation is available) it scrubs off some of the shiny.

• Like 1

Anyone tried a build with Hasten and AB yet?

and if Injection has a numina unique will it work without using it on someone?

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

50 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

This is the same with Translocation in Mystic Flight. Combined with the lack of slots for it (despite what the trainers say as you level) and the inability to put anything else in the pop-up bar (I'd like to put powexeclocation macros in the bar so I only see them when Translocation is available) it scrubs off some of the shiny.

I don't like it on any teleport to be honest. The movement delay is just meh. It's just more noticeable while running.

Edited by Super Atom
  • Thanks 1

I am playing around with the new travel power and it's pretty neat, IMO.  The immobilize on Jaunt actually seems to be a little shorter than on other teleports, and I dig that.

In general, the animations seem pretty neat.

One thing that's small, but kinda, like, let's nip it in the bud now:

Please make it possible to disable the Jaunt bar by talking to Null the Gull.  Or however it needs to be done.  That got overlooked with Force of Will and never "fixed", so it'd be nice if we can see it already in place by the time the patch is "ready".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Pretty neat.

Adding teleport to a super speed similar is great. Like the +vertical and the 'vanish' is very interesting with numerous applications from breaking line of sight to stealth like abilities.

A self boost! AWESOME

Looks like these are all usable in some fashion and can help a character specialize. It looks like it will be interesting to experiment combining these with other powers.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

T1: Experimental Injection

Damn good. Effectively a second Health+Stamina, with magnitude 6 Mez protection makes this an incredible power for duos. Maybe even a bit too good, but then again it's quite useless if you have no friends to use it on.

T2: Toxic Dart

Slow projectile speed lends itself to certain tactics. Though a DoT it's slightly stronger than many non-blaster Tier 1 blasts while offering a similar proper cast time, so while it does absolutely nothing else, it's certainly worth considering.

T3: Speed of Sound

Not really my thing. It's super-speed, it doesn't have stealth but instead is a much better overall travel power since you can just teleport over those big walls and the such. Still I'd rather have hover personally. Useful if you want to get around that quick, but I'm always short on power slots.

T4: Corrosive Vial

Area feels just a little small. The damage and cast time are rather nice, but things just walk forward two feet out of it. -Def doesn't really do anything here either, and you can simply slot Annihilation for the -Res. Maybe something else?

T5: Adrenal Booster

I can't help but notice the details mention Endurance: I'm guessing this is EndMod but it does not seem to affect stamina, so is this only for outgoing attacks? Same with the mention of Defense really.

Either way while it's a long recharge, the bonus to Damage and Recharge add up quite nicely thanks to the duration, and in some builds or circumstances the to-hit may serve as a quick-snipe buff as well. As an emergency button it's certainly not bad.

One thing: Movement Speeds don't seem affected right now, at least on the combat attributes (felt roughly the same on the jog too): Could it be actually countering outgoing slows instead by accident?

Edited by Novacat

JAUNT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!

Why does a Super Speed clone get to have a -good- Teleport!?  *foams at mouth, rolls out of chair, and twitches violently on the floor*

. . . in all seriousness, seriously:  Jaunt is WAY, WAY, WAY better than Teleport.  It hurts my feelings, as irrational as that sounds.

Otherwise, a really solid set.  Perhaps too solid.  I am still holding out hope for Utility Belt, but at this point, Experimentation is the clearest of winners so far.  Force of Will and Sorcery just can't hold a candle to this Pool Set as-is.

Edited by VileTerror
Actually, can we rename "Utility Belt" before it's too late?

16 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

JAUNT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!

Why does a Super Speed clone get to have a -good- Teleport!?  *foams at mouth, rolls out of chair, and twitches violently on the floor*

. . . in all seriousness, seriously:  Jaunt is WAY, WAY, WAY better than Teleport.  It hurts my feelings, as irrational as that sounds.

Otherwise, a really solid set.  Perhaps too solid.  I am still holding out hope for Gadgetry, but at this point, Experimentation is the clearest of winners so far.  Force of Will and Sorcery just can't hold a candle to this Pool Set as-is.

Can you explain what makes Jaunt better than teleport? I havent seen numbers yet,by I imagine faster animation?

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

It's instant.

Yeah...I'll take an order of that. Can we make all teleports Jaunt?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

4 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

While it has an 8 second cooldown, or something like that, with suitable Global Recharge I've got it down to around 1.5'ish.  And the in-game description says the activation time is 1 second, but it feels like it's less than 0.67 frankly.

The thing I dislike with teleport is that it roots you while teleporting. I'm curious if Jaunt avoids this, allowing a speedster to keep their momentum through the teleports. I'll have to get on and try it at some point.

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

The thing I dislike with teleport is that it roots you while teleporting. I'm curious if Jaunt avoids this, allowing a speedster to keep their momentum through the teleports. I'll have to get on and try it at some point.

There's no "hover" period after the teleport but you don't keep your momentum.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Just now, macskull said:

There's no "hover" period after the teleport but you don't keep your momentum.

Still a huge improvement, in my opinion. I'm jealous I can't have it on my granite tank.

Jaunt

Really good teleport

I tried it out with /powexec_location target

it works super well. 

Instantly gets you to the next spawn  with no downtime.

but you need line of sight for it to work.

So keep a regular target bind as well so you can move anywhere you want around corners and such. 

Corrosive vial

-should take achilies and annihilation

Think of it more as a small aoe res debuff on a 1 min timer.

Pretty useful for  lot of builds

Edited by Frosticus

I understand why Jaunt was used thematically but if you were going to combine two travel powers, why not super speed and super jump?   That would probably provide a better vertical movement than teleport.  Though, I get the idea that if you move so fast, it's like teleporting.  But we already have fly+teleport with magic.  Two travel powers I suppose may be taken for functionality, why not do that here again?  

Then again, I suppose you could use that for the mutant pool power.

Face front, true believers!