Focused Feedback: Experimentation (Build 1 - 4)

Jimmy

My only criticism is that the powers dont look very sciencey.

The 'afterburner' FX is a bit overused and seems like an odd choice when there's so many great FX that could be used from Poison, Bio Armor and many of the Radiation themed sets that really shout 'science' to me instead.

I think the use of props is very good, I especially like the syringes and vails (although poison dart seems to look a bit off to me, perhaps reusing tranq dart may work better?).

So props/animations = good

and FX/sounds = eh

On 2/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, Lazarillo said:

Please make it possible to disable the Jaunt bar by talking to Null the Gull.  Or however it needs to be done.  That got overlooked with Force of Will and never "fixed", so it'd be nice if we can see it already in place by the time the patch is "ready".

The way I arrange my UI, the extra pop-up bars such as Jaunt, Takeoff, the SBB role tips, etc. wind up colliding with other elements. I fully endorse disabling the Jaunt bar similar to the Mystic Flight Translocation with Null the Gull. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Main: Human Conductor Level 50 Elec Blaster on Excelsior. You can call me HC. 

3D Printing City of Heroes Characters Instructions and NEW Video Walk-thru
3D Print Gallery

3DCharsPortfolio.png.994edf503e237f635f40971d20dd0f55.png

3 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

My only criticism is that the powers dont look very sciencey.

The 'afterburner' FX is a bit overused and seems like an odd choice when there's so many great FX that could be used from Poison, Bio Armor and many of the Radiation themed sets that really shout 'science' to me instead.

I think the use of props is very good, I especially like the syringes and vails (although poison dart seems to look a bit off to me, perhaps reusing tranq dart may work better?).

So props/animations = good

and FX/sounds = eh

I think the prop execution is very good as mentioned. I would love an AB alternate syringe-less version, also (hopefully able to use an existing animation for simplicity sake). This would extend the thematic use as the chemicals being triggered internally (such as a gland). 

Overall, I am enjoying this powerpool and look forward to seeing it on live. Thanks HC team.

3D Print Gallery

16 hours ago, leeper48 said:

I think the prop execution is very good as mentioned. I would love an AB alternate syringe-less version, also (hopefully able to use an existing animation for simplicity sake). This would extend the thematic use as the chemicals being triggered internally (such as a gland). 

Overall, I am enjoying this powerpool and look forward to seeing it on live. Thanks HC team.

I'm absolutely delighted to see this powerset, it's one one of the things I've been wishing for the most! (I'm a huge fan of mad scientists and eccentric geniuses)

So far all the powers seem to be fairly balanced, though the jaunt power could use a little bit of a nerf since standard teleport is going to underperform in comparison. But other than that the numbers look good and the animations are great!

My only hang up is the FX could be better, but that's pretty much it, all in all it's a real good addition to the game!

I enjoy using jaunt as a lunge power to quickly get in close for melee.  /bind alt "powexeclocation target jaunt$$powexectoggleon speed of sound"

Helps to build a speedster fighting vibe. I'm happy for the cool-down on it in that sense as it prevents multi-firing from pressing the button twice quickly which is something that happens with Translocation/Mystic Flight when I try to use the same tactic.

• Like 1

3D Print Gallery

2 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

So far all the powers seem to be fairly balanced, though the jaunt power could use a little bit of a nerf since standard teleport is going to underperform in comparison.

Jaunt has a cooldown on it though, you can't use it as a travel power by itself, its more as a compliment to Speed of Sound to get passed obstacles

Jaunt has an 200 ft range (normal teleport and translocation are both 300) and an 8 second cooldown, both unenhanceable. I'm not sure what else could be done to nerf it without making it entirely useless, and I  really don't think it needs to be.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

9 hours ago, General Idiot said:

Jaunt has an 200 ft range (normal teleport and translocation are both 300) and an 8 second cooldown, both unenhanceable. I'm not sure what else could be done to nerf it without making it entirely useless, and I  really don't think it needs to be.

From what I've seen, the general concern with Jaunt is that it has no delay/slow effect after teleporting, making it far more desirable.

In specific situations, perhaps. But remember it has no delay on movement but it -does- have a delay before using it again in the form of that 8 second recharge. It's not usable as a general purpose travel power for that reason, while normal teleport is. For its intended purpose as a travel power, Teleport does not underperform relative to Jaunt by any comparison I can think of.

That Jaunt's lack of delay before moving is more useful in combat is perhaps a reason to look into buffing teleport with a similar function, but it's not a reason to nerf Jaunt any further than it already has been with the reduced range and recharge time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, General Idiot said:

That Jaunt's lack of delay before moving is more useful in combat is perhaps a reason to look into buffing teleport with a similar function.

Yeah, pretty much what people are asking for :classic_tongue:

Maybe make 'Teleport' a toggle that grants a popup bar with the standard version of the Teleport power, and one without the slow hover effect?

Edited by Tyrannical

The Flight and Leaping pools both have "combat" versions of their travel powers (namely, Hover and Combat Jumping). Jaunt really seems like the missing "combat" version of Teleport that Stone Tanks have always wanted. It would've been great if it could've been in the teleport pool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vanden said:

The Flight and Leaping pools both have "combat" versions of their travel powers (namely, Hover and Combat Jumping). Jaunt really seems like the missing "combat" version of Teleport that Stone Tanks have always wanted. It would've been great if it could've been in the teleport pool.

I could envision a power like this:

Blink device: 50' range teleport.  No hover or pause after teleport jumps.  Using the teleport grants you a short duration run speed and immobilize resistance buff.

10 minutes ago, biostem said:

I could envision a power like this:

Blink device: 50' range teleport.  No hover or pause after teleport jumps.  Using the teleport grants you a short duration run speed and immobilize resistance buff.

Short or non-existent activation time as well, and, crucially, a recharge time. Jaunt ticks a lot of those boxes.

The problem is how to add it to the pool. The most obvious solution would be to combine Recall Friend with Teleport Foe, but how to reconcile the radically different ranges they have...?

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

The problem is how to add it to the pool. The most obvious solution would be to combine Recall Friend with Teleport Foe, but how to reconcile the radically different ranges they have...?

What if taking "teleport" also granted team teleport, and we put the blink device into its old slot?

EDIT:  Are there mechanics in place where taking teleport also grants a toggle, which when activated, makes teleport instead act like team teleport?

Edited by biostem

1 minute ago, biostem said:

What if taking "teleport" also granted team teleport, and we put the blink device into its old slot?

I think we'd really want it to be a power you can grab with no prior investment into the pool.

But we're pretty off-topic at this point.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vanden said:

Short or non-existent activation time as well, and, crucially, a recharge time. Jaunt ticks a lot of those boxes.

Well, the medicine pool has a power with very different effects depending upon if it's targeting a friend or a foe.

Very nice.

*Patiently awaiting Gadgetry*

I'm serious I have like 4 character ideas that could use some or all the powers from Gadgetry.  I have a bad feeling it'll be the last origin pool completed.  

As for Jaunt, I think it's great for what it is as a compliment to a stealth-less Super Speed.  It's a snappy short range teleport that gives this alternative to Super Speed some vertical travel at the cost of innate stealth.  Plus, you can't reliably use Jaunt for transport by itself because of its unenhanceable cooldown.  So I don't think Jaunt needs nerfed at all, no.  Rather, Teleport could be made more snappy and over all make it feel better to use.  I never waste a power pick on Teleport, and even though I try to have all my characters have different forms of travel to make them unique from each other, I just use Warshade's innate Teleport powers instead.  

2 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Well, the medicine pool has a power with very different effects depending upon if it's targeting a friend or a foe.

The issue is the range difference, rather than anything else. I once suggested redoing the Kheldian shapeshift form powers to use the same powers as human form with different stats, with the same tech that powers things like Water Jet's conditional instant cast and Injection's different effects on friend or foe. The response was it'd almost be possible, but that tech doesn't allow different sub-powers within the same overall power to have different range limits. I would assume that's because the check of whether the target is in range happens before it decides which version of the power to use.

So you'd either have Teleport Foe getting Recall's ten thousand foot range, or Recall dropping to 80 feet.

2 hours ago, General Idiot said:

The issue is the range difference, rather than anything else. I once suggested redoing the Kheldian shapeshift form powers to use the same powers as human form with different stats, with the same tech that powers things like Water Jet's conditional instant cast and Injection's different effects on friend or foe. The response was it'd almost be possible, but that tech doesn't allow different sub-powers within the same overall power to have different range limits. I would assume that's because the check of whether the target is in range happens before it decides which version of the power to use.

So you'd either have Teleport Foe getting Recall's ten thousand foot range, or Recall dropping to 80 feet.

I see. How far away from an enemy can you actually get before you lose target? I know that people using boost range on stupid snipe builds would have to use spotters because they couldn't actually target the enemies anymore.

TP Foe suddenly getting 10,000 range wouldn't actually be so big. You'd only be able to actually target an enemy from around 300 feet away, which is my best guess as to how far you can get before the reticle drops. You wouldn't be able to get around that by targeting through a teammate, either, you'd just end up recalling them instead.

10 minutes ago, Vanden said:

TP Foe suddenly getting 10,000 range wouldn't actually be so big. You'd only be able to actually target an enemy from around 300 feet away, which is my best guess as to how far you can get before the reticle drops. You wouldn't be able to get around that by targeting through a teammate, either, you'd just end up recalling them instead.

Why would teleport foe recall a friend?

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

9 hours ago, Jaguaratron said:

Swap dart animation for arachnos widow Poison Dart animation aside from not necessitating weapon redraw using that it doesnt look like ass.

Doing so would increase the animation time to 1.5 seconds. You may already know and don't care, but I just wanted it to be clear that doing this would be a nerf on the power.

3 hours ago, CaptainLupis said:

Why would teleport foe recall a friend?

It was in response to combining Recall Friend and Teleport Foe into a single power that changed what it did based on the target selected (friend or enemy).

I think all of the base travel powers are going to need a bit of a close looking at with the new origin power pools coming out, that's for sure.

I'll make a post over on the suggestions forum with a few ideas on how we can make travel pools more viable.

Edited by Tyrannical