Confused by the Praetorian story arcs?

JesterX

Is it just me or is it confusing to play a praetorian?  I mean... You can do missions for both the resistance and the loyalists?

Sometimes I found myself doing a mission for the inverse faction... What's that about?!

Is it just me or is it confusing to play a praetorian?  I mean... You can do missions for both the resistance and the loyalists?

Sometimes I found myself doing a mission for the inverse faction... What's that about?!

Look at your UI.  It's a grey world out there.

In more seriousness, you have the choice to be heavily under cover or openly for a faction.  You can be a b****** for either groups because both groups are filled and led by horrible people.  You can be a person who is fighting despite all those horrible people on either side.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I found the transition from regular old Paragon City to First Ward a bit jarring. One minute your contacts are all 'The Skulls are bad. Go to the warehouse and stop them,' and then you get to First Ward and they're all 'Well scronk my noffler, looks like we've got ourselves a proper jumbunglin here, the Ifflepiff isn't going to like that one bit.'

I always want to "map out" my path through Praetoria so as to be able to do ALL the faction missions in each level bracket, so as to get badges for all of them.  This means constantly switching sides after each and every alignment choice so as to be the most double crossing double agent of all time.  After that, it's just a matter of deciding which faction you're "really" working for ... either Loyalists or Resistance.  Given what we later learn about Calvin Scott in the Minds of Mayhem Trial ... that Calvin Scott is pretty much deluded and insane ... and that in some of the later Resistance arcs in Neutropolis, Calvin Scott is telling you to use the Devouring Earth to destroy what's left of humanity ... it's kind of hard to pick the Resistance as my Secret Faction choice during the tutorial anymore.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I always want to "map out" my path through Praetoria so as to be able to do ALL the faction missions in each level bracket, so as to get badges for all of them.  This means constantly switching sides after each and every alignment choice so as to be the most double crossing double agent of all time.  After that, it's just a matter of deciding which faction you're "really" working for ... either Loyalists or Resistance.  Given what we later learn about Calvin Scott in the Minds of Mayhem Trial ... that Calvin Scott is pretty much deluded and insane ... and that in some of the later Resistance arcs in Neutropolis, Calvin Scott is telling you to use the Devouring Earth to destroy what's left of humanity ... it's kind of hard to pick the Resistance as my Secret Faction choice during the tutorial anymore.

Some of us are comfortable with Calvin's unique vision....

Praetoria forever. :)

The problem I had recently was finishing up First Ward and just starting Night Ward and having a tip mission appear that was set after the events of i23. I sort of knew vaguely what was going on in Praetoria, but that mission actually kind of spoilered me on some of the hard details, I mean it was something like 'Visit Dying Praetoria' and featured the Seed of Hamidon stomping around in the distance like Cloverfield.

Having meta-story looped back with a mission available so low was not a great idea, I don't think, at least put it at 40 to be set after Night Ward. Similarly, I was looking up task forces and apparently there's one that's new to me hosted by Admiral Sutter for 20-40 which alludes to ongoing problems with Praetoria and hints at Incarnate stuff. That's on my to-do list for after Night Ward. (Doesn't seem to have a villain counterpart.)

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I'm sorry for little offtopic but will I have access to these story arcs if I starter in Atlas Park?

Azaneal - WB/Bio Sentinel

Azaniel - Fire/Time Corruptor

Anemia - SJ/WP Scapper

Nefrisa - Arch/DM Corruptor

Well, no.

The thing is Praetoria was created a new 3rd place to start playing, basically acting as a 3rd faction. The initial story arcs only go from 1-20 and then you're supposed to go t Primal Earth and convert to a hero or villian. I don't know if they're accessible through Oroborus, but I would think not.

Praetoria was intended as something really new and different for players who had gotten tired of doing the same starting content over and over and I actually don't recommend them for totally new players right off the bat.

However after a bit, they put in some new content in Praetoria for 20-40 where you would be going back or visiting for the first time, and that's what I'm talking about.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I found the transition from regular old Paragon City to First Ward a bit jarring. One minute your contacts are all 'The Skulls are bad. Go to the warehouse and stop them,' and then you get to First Ward and they're all 'Well scronk my noffler, looks like we've got ourselves a proper jumbunglin here, the Ifflepiff isn't going to like that one bit.'

Yeah, the Resistance has this weird, Clockwork Orange-esque slang thing going on. The more I interact with Resistance NPCs and story arcs, the more convinced I am that they are simply the Praetorian version of Primal Earth's Freakshow, although I don't believe this is explicitly stated by anyone in-game.

Weird slang/jargon: check

Costumes cobbled together out of mismatched techy bits: check

Generally anarchist/"punk" mindset: check

I vaguely remember one of the Praetorian story arcs involved the Resistance trying to blow up a hospital in order to make the sheeple open their peepers and overthrow Marcus Cole. To me, that plan strongly parallels (and makes about the same amount of sense as) the Freakshow's plan to blow up Terra Volta in order to overthrow the social order and create a world "without divisions or classes" in the Penelope Yin TF.

I'm sorry for little offtopic but will I have access to these story arcs if I starter in Atlas Park?

Starting from level 20, you can do the Praetorian First Ward arcs, which lead into the Night Ward arcs. These arcs have some really interesting, though sometimes borderline surreal, writing. You'll want to have some basic familiarity with the Praetoria backstory though, or it will be confusing. They reference people and events that appear in the "newbie" Praetorian arcs, which only native Praetorians can do.

I remember doing Praetoria and thinking that I needed to hurry up and leave because I no longer had any idea which side I was working for.

Given the story arcs of some of the characters associated with Praetoria, you are not entirely alone in this regard.  ;D