Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

We feel this new name is more in-keeping with the current roster of support powersets.

Is that true, or was it a reaction to all the whining? I liked Shock Therapy better, Electrical Affinity is so generic.

2 hours ago, Bartacus said:

can someone explain to me why this change was necessary? Is the word "Therapy" somehow offensive?

A loud minority of people whined "on behalf" of others.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blastit said:

Obviously the HC team found their argument to be persuasive because it took a handful of people to make the point for this change to be decided.

Or they just got sick of hearing about it.

Either way, Something pertaining to conduits, static, shocking ect would be a good place to start for a new name. I'm blanking now, but I don't like the new one.

2 minutes ago, Blastit said:

Obviously the HC team found their argument to be persuasive because it took a handful of people to make the point for this change to be decided.

That’s one way to say they were successfully bullied into it. 

I don’t care one bit about the name. I do care about how the name change came about.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Imagine being censored or labeled ugly because you think differently and you can't do anything about it.

While I liked Shock Therapy, I felt it would be easier to change it so I suppose I have different reasons why I've changed my perspective on the previous name and why it should be changed.

Nobody is censoring you, what an over reaction. I wasn't even referring to anything you said either so...awkward much?

Censoring would be telling people who think the term was better left unused that they're "shouting down" the devs and telling them how wrong they are for finding it offensive.

I still find it completely ridiculous the level of people belittling others for expressing an opinion on an actually controversial subject being unfit to be a power set. This is insane.

I'm not even in that camp and i find it ridiculous that people would actually bully others by insulting and trying to shame them for it, go outside this is a game.

Also @Doomrider this set being DOA due to -end being shit is exactly why i haven't bothered to comment on it much outside of saying -end sucks haha

Edited by Super Atom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

I don’t care one bit about the name. I do care about how the name change came about.

5 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Or they just got sick of hearing about it.

The HC team can eject anyone they feel like with the click of a button. If the name was final then that would've been that. Instead, it took all of a handful pages of discussion for them to decide to talk about it internally and now here we are.

1 minute ago, Blastit said:

The HC team can eject anyone they feel like with the click of a button. If the name was final then that would've been that. Instead, it took all of a handful pages of discussion for them to decide to talk about it internally and now here we are.

Direct quote from old thread: “be prepared for press reachouts on this topic really, really soon.”

I think it’s pretty clear that the devs can’t just eject anyone they like when facing thinly veiled threats like this in a raging cancel culture.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think something important people aren't talking about here is NCSoft. Regardless of where one falls on this topic, I'd bet money that stuff like this is something NCSoft wouldn't want to deal with, especially for something that won't directly bring in revenue. Best case a deal with HC is a loss leader for them, so adding in potential controversies (big or small) is not something that is going to make them more likely to do a deal. 

I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, right or wrong, only something that needs to be considered. 

Personally I think the way the HC team handled this is fantastic. First and foremost, it gives me additional confidence in their leadership and ability to navigate touchy subjects. I wasn't doubting them before, but I was absolutely watching this to see how they respond. Because it matters. And if there is some NCSoft rep keeping an eye on things here, I suspect that person will come to a similar conclusion, whether or not they have a personal issue with the initial name. 

Edited by MunkiLord
  • Like 7

Just now, arcaneholocaust said:

Thread is less than a week old, for the record. And what on earth makes you think I’m a boomer?

Well, not understanding why you got called a boomer makes me even more suspicious of you being a boomer tbh.

Also yeah i saw that, it's why i removed the other part. I thought you meant the media shit from live servers haha had me going wtf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's so great that everyone can be so civil. Excuse me while I see my way out, I have numbers to stare at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Just now, Super Atom said:

Well, not understanding why you got called a boomer makes me even more suspicious of you being a boomer tbh.

Also yeah i saw that, it's why i removed the other part. I thought you meant the media shit from live servers haha had me going wtf

That’s really the one post that set me off in the old thread, for what it’s worth. I didn’t mind much else.

Admittedly the fraction of ECT candidates that aren’t old folks is tiny, but I had it done at age 20.

9 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Direct quote from old thread: “be prepared for press reachouts on this topic really, really soon.”

I think it’s pretty clear that the devs can’t just eject anyone they like when facing thinly veiled threats like this in a raging cancel culture.

They can ban that person if they want to. The press is highly unlikely to care. If six people are civil about something and one person is uncivil it doesn't mean that that last person actually influenced anyone making a decision on the matter.

5 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

That’s really the one post that set me off in the old thread, for what it’s worth. I didn’t mind much else.

Admittedly the fraction of ECT candidates that aren’t old folks is tiny, but I had it done at age 20.

Claiming ECT at people is just a way to group and belittle because you disagree with their views. Similar to how "Ok boomer" is dismissing someone without providing much effort to argue. Most people in the other thread were very civil and calm about their concerns. Just because one person over reacted be it due to personal experiences causing a trigger or just being an emotional person doesn't give people the right to just try and cancel *see what i did there* their right to have an opinion. I personally was in the camp of the name just not being a good fit because of other sets and not so much the offensive part but it's completely absurd to call ECT or "snowflakes" or even "bullies" for having an opinion on why the old name or new name doesn't fit for them.

Also 100x what MonkiLord said. HC has been nothing but professional in handling this.

Edited by Super Atom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Super Atom said:

Claiming ECT at people is just a way to group and belittle because you disagree with their views. Similar to how "Ok boomer" is dismissing someone without providing much effort to argue. Most people in the other thread were very civil and calm about their concerns. Just because one person over reacted be it due to personal experiences causing a trigger or just being an emotional person doesn't give people the right to just try and cancel *see what i did there* their right to have an opinion. I personally was in the camp of the name just not being a good fit because of other sets and not so much the offensive part but it's completely absurd to call ECT or "snowflakes" or even "bullies" for having an opinion on why the old name or new name doesn't fit for them.

Didn’t mind people having opinions one bit. The clear implicit threats were my issue.

• Like 1

Just now, arcaneholocaust said:

Didn’t mind people having opinions one bit. The clear implicit threats were my issue.

Your exact comments were

They were not bullied into anything. They saw the multiple reasons of why people didn't like the name, agreed that

1) Didn't really fit in well with the naming convention

2) Maybe it's best to avoid this topic due to political/personal nature of it

3) Affinity still sounded cool enough to not just be "Electric buffs".

If you're unwilling to accept that there was more reason other than "muh offends" then that's your problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MunkiLord said:

You can keep whining, according to you that works. Or you could just be less sensitive like you're apparently wanting from other people. 

Being annoyed with a snarky veiled threat isn't really comparable to screeching about a name.

Nice overreaction, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1