Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

• City Council

Okay, while this thread is for discussing the name of the powerset, can we try and stay away from bitter arguments about previous arguments about the name?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

30 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Right because "BLOOD BOILING" isn't an overreaction. You and that other person are gigantic eyerolls.

I'll try to be more literal so it's simpler to understand next time.

As for the topic, how about Surge Protection/Protector?

Edited by ScarySai
Added a variation of name proposal.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Super Atom said:

Nobody is censoring you, what an over reaction. I wasn't even referring to anything you said either so...awkward much?

Well you won't see the moved or deleted posts.  But it does go beyond just this particular example of the name "Shock Therapy".

Censoring would be telling people who think the term was better left unused that they're "shouting down" the devs and telling them how wrong they are for finding it offensive.

That's not censorship.  That's criticism.

I still find it completely ridiculous the level of people belittling others for expressing an opinion on an actually controversial subject being unfit to be a power set.

Tangentially controversial.

I'm willing to drop that whole debate because it'd be going off topic further.

As for Electrical Interface sounding like an incarnate ability, I can see that...but of course it's just a suggestion.  I'm for seeking some better options for the name if that is indeed a possible avenue of change for this set.

Surge Protection is nice. I also like Amperage Affinity or Electroprojection as nifty options.

How about Impulse Mastery? Or Induction? Could go with Conductive Care or Static Command.

How about Voltaic Authority or to play a pun: Current Direction?

Get it? 'Cause it's a Direct Current but the order has been Altered and it's also the direction your current is going and you're Directing the Current like a Director... LAYERED PUNS.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steampunkette said:

Surge Protection is nice. I also like Amperage Affinity or Electroprojection as nifty options.

How about Impulse Mastery? Or Induction? Could go with Conductive Care or Static Command.

Get it? 'Cause it's a Direct Current but the order has been Altered and it's also the direction your current is going... LAYERED PUNS.

I also liked Surge Protection (as I do like puns), while also liking someone's earlier suggestion of Static Induction. I also wouldn't mind something like ElectroTherapy if only because I get to call it ET

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

@Leogunner  Perhaps you should try reading.

23 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

Okay, while this thread is for discussing the name of the powerset, can we try and stay away from bitter arguments about previous arguments about the name?

As for the name;

7 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Get it? 'Cause it's a Direct Current but the order has been Altered and it's also the direction your current is going... LAYERED PUNS.

Most of this just doesn't sound like a power set. Flashy names are fun but they don't work. Power sets are intentionally designed to be brief generic descriptions of what a power set is or relates to. Conductive Care IMO would imply more healing. It's a support set, like Electric interface would have been good if not for the interface incarnate stuff.

side note, can we get an elec based healing set named Conductive care? or at least rename the heal to it.

Edited by Super Atom

How come it took until page 5 to get back to "Surge Protection?"

I'm still throwing my hat in to that particular ring, but I am thanklful that the original name was adjusted.  Electrical Affinity is a little *wobbles hand* but it's not outright problematic from where I'm seated.
I mean, other than "Electrical Affinity" and "Energy Aura" having the same initials.  But I'm actually very okay with that!  I just know some other people who don't like initials to get reused.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

I'll try to be more literal so it's simpler to understand next time.

As for the topic, how about Surge Protector?

It's a pun.  I'd prefer that over Affinity.

But aren't Surge Protectors suppose to protect from unexpected voltage spikes not cause them?

3 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

But aren't Surge Protectors suppose to protect from unexpected voltage spikes not cause them?

It involves re-routing the energy and has a bit of other stuff going on there, if you want to really read into it.

It still works! 😆

Edited by ScarySai

13 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

My kids explained to me that the fact I'm not actually a boomer is part of the reason saying "ok boomer" at me is funny. 

And me taking it personally making it moreso.   

Without getting too into it: The meme originated as a response to Gen Xers/Boomers saying out of touch things, or blaming the newer generations for their grievances with the world.

7 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Hertz Less (for the punnic)

Ohmic Karma (for the New Wave)

Galvanistic Vigor (For the Steampunks) 

I don't know if these would ring as a powerset name, but they could be good character names!

Nah, ScarySai.  Looks like your post on this page was the first reference to Surge Protection in this particular thread.  Granted, it showed up a few times in the old thread.

Since some people also like the "Elec" part being fronted for clarity, how about:

Electro-Surge Protection?

It's a little* long, though.

*(very much alot)

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Since some people also like the "Elec" part being fronted for clarity, how about:

Electro-Surge Protection?

It's a little* long, though.

*(very much alot)

I don't think the clarity is necessary.  Does Dark melee have to emphasize that it's power comes from the nether, and not from turning off all the lights in the room?

Edited by ScarySai

17 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

I don't mind Electrical Affinity....

But if were just throwing out names ..

Hertz Less (for the punnic)

Ohmic Karma (for the New Wave)

Galvanistic Vigor (For the Steampunks) 

As a Steampunk I must clarify: Galvanic Vigor would be the appropriate term.

Galvanism is the root word based on the man Luigi Galvani, who ran electricity through the limbs of frogs and for whom the term "Galvanic Response" is named. It takes on the IC suffix on the basis of it being "of or pertaining to” Galvanism. Galvinism, itself, uses the suffix ISM to create an "Action-Noun" from Galvani. Essentially "Galvani Action"

Don't you just adore etymology? Also I am a MASSIVE nerd.

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Thanks 1

I actually like Electrical Affinity a lot. It follows the naming schemes inherent in most sets with the ability to be shortened to "Elec" perfectly and still know what set one's talking about., which is definitely important. Affinity works in a pinch, but I could totally see "Electrical Surges" or "Electrical Conduction" just as good. I like puns as much as the next person but sometimes being straightforward is the best decision.

Also, I have to say... as someone who's actually been through Shock Therapy /Electroconvulsive Treatment in the past, thank you for considering a name change. It was hell on earth going through it, and the sounds and anxiety of that time are something that I will NEVER forget.

3 hours ago, Troo said:

Shocking Support

Shocking Beneficence  [this one is snappy and educational (as in what the heck is beneficence?!)]

Electrofinity

Zaptastic Response

Shocking Influence

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum