(I hate to bring them up here, but) With Thunderspy having pet customization...

Just now, Lyrianna said:

I generally have 5-6 different looks for most of my characters.

Still plenty of room here.

1.) Not all pets need to have a custom look, maybe you wanted a succubus or two instead of two big ole tier2 demons.  I personally want some clockwork (both praetorian and primal) robots or a bikini commando or turning my Thugs into Clowns to match my Carnies lore or maybe just revamping the tier1 zombies so they literally dont stall themselves when they fall an inch.  seriously go watch them operate a slight slope or stairs

2.) People might actually do the costume slot missions again.

3.) Not counting the ever raising cost of the fabled 10th costume slot, 9 slots are more than enough for most people

I used to mod CoH back in live and have an idea of how they accomplished this and why it only works on humanoids:

How does it work?

Open and view the content of CoH client files using the pigg viewer, extracting the contents of the bin.pigg file or whichever one contained the costume parts (PARTSNAME) for player and NPC models. Once these files are modified and replaced into the right folder structure, the client will check the folder structure and replace any .pigg files which are represented in the folder structure.  You can modify character costume pieces which are called by the client to the server.

Why are they limited to certain models?

There is a redundancy check for the length or size of the files when the game executes, which means any changes you make have to be the same number of characters as the original values. This restricts you to using the PARTSNAMEs that fall within a certain character length (IE: player models).

Why does it only work with humanoid characters?

Non-humanoid characters do not have the normal number of values as humanoid characters... which means you cannot replace a non-humanoid PART with another non-humanoid or humanoid PART without breaking the visual effects of the rest of the game. Here's the list of values for humanoid characters (same as those in  our character costume slots):

• Pants
  • Chest
  • Head
  • Gloves
  • Boots
  • Belt
  • Hair
  • Face
  • Eye Detail
  • Chest Detail
  • Shoulders
  • Back
  • Right Weapon
  • Neck
  • Right Upper Arm
  • Collar
  • Broach
  • Cape
  • Aura
  • Skirt
  • Sleeves
  • Cranium
  • Jaw
  • Left Weapon
  • Two Handed Left Weapon
  • Two Handed Right Weapon
  • Tail
  • Like 1

costumes are not the biggest change.

the biggest, single biggest mm change is the hold command. you target one  of your henchmen, hit hold and they are all immobilized and immune to knockback. no more ranged pets chasing things down. obviously this means they will die in a fire late game regularly if you are not paying attention, and will not move at all until you toggle it off, use goto or team teleport. and you can't pick which henchmen to do this on - it turns it on for all which makes keeping your enforcers, punks, arsonist in check while the bruiser goes ham requires just as much micro management as not having this command does. 

the second, more minor change is a toggle that turns all of your knockbacks into knockdowns, but debuffs your damage a tad. 

they did the merc changes to bots as well almost identical - tier 1 have a cone attack and they get it immediately. probots get dispersion bubble but it's bugged they don't keep it up. assault bot still has it's brawl but also can summon it's own drones. however even with those changes their damage is still not on par with demons or thugs who have not seen any changes yet.

traps is...yeah. triage beacon is now a straight pbaoe heal every few seconds. web grenade is aoe. they combined caltrops and trip mine into one power that is insta cast. added turrets with a long cooldown for the capstone power. traps is basically an actual bunker set and you don't need a primary that heals itself or to grab medicine if you are like me and hate losing pets. other secondary's their heals got a minor aoe heal added to them like alkaloid in poison. nearly all of poisons debuffs are now aoe's. if the probots casting dispersion bubble was fixed, you could then take bots with any secondary and not give up cc protection. bots/poison would become the fastest killing mm combo in the history of the game - packs or single tough enemies. 

oh, and they moved all of the controller pets from 32 to level 1. controllers/doms are the true pet powerhouses there. they are here, too just a pain to level with for a while. 

honestly if pet classes are your thing, the other server is the place to play it however the AT is still one of the weakest when it comes to clear speeds and av kill times. 

On 2/29/2020 at 7:55 PM, OmegaX123 said:

...it kind of proves that it's doable, even if it is a hacky method via using your own costume slots and a tag added to the name of the pet. Do the Homecoming team have either a)an implementation of this in-game yet or b)any plans to attempt it?

I went to the meet-and-greet in London last year. Now, my memory of the occasion is a little blurry - there may have been beer - but I think what was said is that it would cause performance problems in highly populated zones because of the huge number of different costumes visible.

That might explain why it can be done on a server populated only by people who don't loathe 4chan.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, thunderforce said:

I went to the meet-and-greet in London last year. Now, my memory of the occasion is a little blurry - there may have been beer - but I think what was said is that it would cause performance problems in highly populated zones because of the huge number of different costumes visible.

That might explain why it can be done on a server populated only by people who don't loathe 4chan.

don't understand the 4chan bit. the server has become quite busy given recent changes here and even I decided to try it out, but the global chat channels are TAME compared to homecoming. 

there is a single discord channel for 4chan type posting, that's about it. 

Even a single channel of 4chan type posting is pretty bad.  That's saying your friend is racist only sometimes.

50s (Indom and Excel):  Bluefox (Rad/Beam Rifle Corr), King Pumpkin Spice 🎃 (Mercs/Nature MM), Stupid Like A Fox (Time/DP Def), Poltergeist Prince (Darkness Control/Empathy 'Troller), Capt Sam's Space Zoo (Beast/FF MM), Snake Charming (Mind Control/Poison Troller), The Midnight Bridge (Storm/Rad Blast 'Fender)  Pawkysham Vex (Illusion/Trick Arrow Controller)  Piikal and P'Zhowm (Grav/Energy Dom)

14 hours ago, Dixa said:

don't understand the 4chan bit.

Fortunately, that's not the important bit, and a bit off-topic - the important bit is "relatively low server population means MM pet customisation is more feasible".

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Even a single channel of 4chan type posting is pretty bad.  That's saying your friend is racist only sometimes.

it's in their discord, which you're not obligated to take part of to enjoy the server or if you do, nobody forces you click on that channel. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, Dixa said:

it's in their discord, which you're not obligated to take part of to enjoy the server or if you do, nobody forces you click on that channel. 

I saw enough problematic stuff slip past the game even Live, no way I'm going over there, believe me.

50s (Indom and Excel):  Bluefox (Rad/Beam Rifle Corr), King Pumpkin Spice 🎃 (Mercs/Nature MM), Stupid Like A Fox (Time/DP Def), Poltergeist Prince (Darkness Control/Empathy 'Troller), Capt Sam's Space Zoo (Beast/FF MM), Snake Charming (Mind Control/Poison Troller), The Midnight Bridge (Storm/Rad Blast 'Fender)  Pawkysham Vex (Illusion/Trick Arrow Controller)  Piikal and P'Zhowm (Grav/Energy Dom)

• 2 months later
On 3/12/2020 at 1:05 AM, Zeraphia said:

they should ALL have female variations

Literally the sole reason I want to be able to customise my thugs. I don't really care if they keep the random(ish) costume selection that currently exists. I want my Arsonist to be a lady called Blaize, and one of my Enforcers to be The Duchess. Having either name attached to a man is a little off-putting. (Although I don't have anything against transgender people - it's just not how I see the characters)