Movement Speed: A Quick Guide

Bopper

On reflection I think it may always have been this way. I can't remember a time when, say, Super Jump wasn't much better at high level than low (to a greater degree than slotting a single SO would explain).

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

2 hours ago, thunderforce said:

On reflection I think it may always have been this way. I can't remember a time when, say, Super Jump wasn't much better at high level than low (to a greater degree than slotting a single SO would explain).

A quick aside, I appreciate you correcting the wiki. When putting this guide together, I used the original wiki and overall it was OK. However, things like How to Calculate Flight (linked by the wiki) was dreadfully inaccurate and/or nonsensical. 

If you would like me to review your finished product, just ping me. If I notice anything missing or needs correcting, I can let you know.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I removed the Wiki's existing table, which was wrong in a number of respects. I suppose what I think would be most useful is if someone were to experiment and confirm the cap formulae posted upthread.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

3 minutes ago, thunderforce said:

I removed the Wiki's existing table, which was wrong in a number of respects. I suppose what I think would be most useful is if someone were to experiment and confirm the cap formulae posted upthread.

Couldn't you have added rows to the table showing what the cap was at each level, then colored in whether or not cap was exceeded?

The test should be fairly easy, just need a partner or two with Clarion Radial to buff you to your maxes

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

10 hours ago, Bopper said:

Couldn't you have added rows to the table showing what the cap was at each level, then colored in whether or not cap was exceeded?

I'm afraid I'm basically trying to palm the job of verifying the formulae / collecting the data off on you, since you've written a guide about it anyway and fixing up the Wiki is a semi-infinite task. I might get around to it at some point, though.

• 1 month later
On 3/1/2020 at 10:37 PM, Bopper said:
  • Incorporating Teleportation (but I don’t think it’s in much demand)

I've only ever really put time into learning about Super Speed back in the day. I knew about the run cap of 92.5mph

It was silly easy to get on my MA/SR scrapper due to the inherant Quickness run speed buff + Swfit. I used to zoom around all the time overtaking other people running at it was great

Now a days, all the incarnates and IO buffs seem to have just about everyone at the cap ... i no longer feel like a speedster as every tom, dick and harry has the run speed party trick in their back pocket.

I think an interesting way to reclaim the crown of "speed demon" would be to try out teleporting. I've seen some theory crafting before out an /engery blaster using Power Boost? (i think) to increase range and being able to teleport stupidly far.

I'm sure in a straight like in a big zone Teleport is hands down the fastest power IF you can overcome the endurance usage. It would be intereting to see just how far it could be pushed.

15 minutes ago, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

I've seen some theory crafting before out an /engery blaster using Power Boost? (i think) to increase range and being able to teleport stupidly far.

I'll try to theory craft this with you, but no way I want to test it with a build haha.

Base Teleport range is 300 ft and the strength cap for enhancing/boosting range is 500%. So our hard cap would be 1500 ft. The arcanatime for casting teleport is 2.244s, so the absolute cap we can hit is 1500 ft per 2.244s. If we translate that to mph, we get:

capped teleport = 1500 ft x 3600 s / 2.244s / 5280 ft x 1 mile / 1 hour = 455.76 mph

But how much can we realistically achieve?

Boost Range can give you 59.6% (that you have to reapply every 30s at 1.32s arcanatime)

If you 6 slot teleport with +5 level 50 IOs you get +75.69% range after E.D.

For a Blaster, you can split the Superior Blaster's Wrath to get two 3-set bonuses that offer 10% range each.

You can get 5 of the +5% Range set bonues in your build (Bombardment, Experienced Marksman)

You can have Intuition Radial which gives +20% Range (2/3rds ignores E.D.)

Clarion Radial Epiphany can offer 60% for 22.5s, 10% for 45s, and 10% for 90 every 2 minutes (combined, +80% for 22.5, +20% for next 22.5, +10% for final 45s).

Using the Sniper can boost Range by 50% for 10s (quick-snipes can be as low as 1.716s arcanatime)

I can't think of anything else you can do, so we'll stop there. So hypothetically, you could cast Clarion, then Boost Range, then Quick-Snipe in (2.244+1.32+1.716) 5.28s. From there you will have a 10s window that will allow you to teleport at +324.62% (+400% would be the cap, so we hit 84.9% of it). So compare that to our capped number earlier we get:

455.76 mph x 424.62% / 500% = 387.05 mph.

After that the numbers decay. But at worst, when you only have Boost Range up but no Clarion and no Sniper buff, you're still at +212.62%. So you can still achieve:

455.76 x 312.62% / 500% = 193.81 mph.

Of course, I am making some assumptions, such as having a macro for teleport that has you go forward at max range set on auto, there being no gap between casts, and nothing gets in your way.

• 4 weeks later
2 minutes ago, Keovar said:

Steam Jump makes you gain altitude if you’re looking where you’re going.  To fly level, you have to angle to face the ground.  Is there some other way to counteract the climb angle?  

You can use Steam Jump (or Jump Pack, its equivalent) one of two ways. You can use it as a jump power that symply increases your maximum jump height but does not increase your jump speed, and it has the added bonus that you can control your elevation by falling and rising on your command. The other way to use it is when you are flying, which includes hover, fly, jet pack, etc. The strength to fly speed from Steam Jump (and Jump Pack) will max out your speed for those powers. So if you want to use Hover with Steam Jump, you can go as fast as Fly (assuming no afterburner). Check out the video I posted that shows the effects of using Steam Jump/Pack while flying to see what I mean.

As for the rest of the stuff, you might want to post that in the Suggestions/Feedback Forum. Let the devs know that you would like more creature options for transformation travel powers and that you would like to not look like you have to take a shit while running when using Ninja Run.

2 minutes ago, Keovar said:

I've used Steam/Jet with hover plenty of times.  I know it speeds the flight up.  It also makes you gain altitude because the steam/jet only fires when you're holding 'op'.  Are you saying that having the item toggled on but not active can speed up flight?  

Yup, just turn it on while hovering and you will do capped fly speed (assuming no afterburner). Check out my video to see. 

• 3 years later
9 hours ago, PancakeGnome said:

Is this still the run speed cap?? I was outsped after slotting super speed by someone in a foot race.... makes me think the cap is higher...

This thread is a bit outdated with the revamp to movement powers that came with this patch

12 hours ago, PancakeGnome said:

Is this still the run speed cap?? I was outsped after slotting super speed by someone in a foot race.... makes me think the cap is higher...

Unfortunately this guide is outdated. It was relevant for the speed caps that existed from Live, but have been recently buffed in Issue 27 Page 2