Dark Melee Future [re: Dark Melee Update]

Troo

1 hour ago, Arkterusss said:

Cut Touch of Fear

Keep Dark Con the way it is

Replace Touch of Fear with Engulfing Darkness

🤙

To be quite honest, this is 100% the way I feel it should've gone. 

Looking at the numbers here (I'm going to use SS because it's the only other melee set with a permanent self damage buff) I do think it should be a lower base damage than 75 as it is in the Dominator secondaries, but I think if it had say a base damage of 63  (same as Foot Stomp) for Tankers and scaled to the rest (Stalker, Scrapper, Brute) as most powers do, and remove or make the -to hit buff lower than Dominator's version, then I think this would be a beautiful change without being "game-breakingly powerful" because this is a power that literally every single other set gets. Also, to be quite honest here, I would actually prefer the weakened damage version of Engulfing Darkness but with a normal recharge and allowing the AT's to use their baseline criticals on the attack rather than any of the DC changes just due to the fact it's up and usable every battle. 

I really think the Dev's should look into this idea and I think this would be a widely accepted idea across the board because legitimately every single melee set has this type of PBAoE power. This gives the set a way to rise in AoE without being "too good" compared to other sets, it would just make it competitive.

Quite honestly, if they say they'd have to get rid of the changes to Shadow Maul for this to be the case, I'd gladly give those up in a heartbeat.  

Edited by 33053222

3 hours ago, Arkterusss said:

Touch of Fear with Engulfing Darkness

🤙

Why would you want want to replace a mez power with a crappy level 12 Necro spell? Damage is minuscule 

(Rembers stuff from EQ1 😏)

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Why would you want want to replace a mez power with a crappy level 12 Necro spell? Damage is minuscule 

(Rembers stuff from EQ1 😏)

Because 1. Mez powers traditionally don't belong in a melee set, 2. There's very limited utility in an actual single target fear power... if you hit the target, it still hits you... 3. The set badly needs AoE, Shadow Maul is just not enough to cover it, also that "crappy level 12 Necro spell" is an excellent PBAoE that is heavily used for a dominator to clear spawns of foes that would be exceptionally useful to shore up the lack of a reliable PBAoE power in Dark Melee that every melee set has. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 33053222 said:

Because 1. Mez powers traditionally don't belong in a melee set, 2. There's very limited utility in an actual single target fear power... if you hit the target, it still hits you... 3. The set badly needs AoE, Shadow Maul is just not enough to cover it, also that "crappy level 12 Necro spell" is an excellent PBAoE that is heavily used for a dominator to clear spawns of foes that would be exceptionally useful to shore up the lack of a reliable PBAoE power in Dark Melee that every melee set has. 

It was a joke reference to another game:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=355

Necromancy in this game does not get a power called Engulfing Darkness.

That aside, I dont think the cottage rule would allow for such a drastic change. The power would still have to hold some resemblance to what it is today (a frear with tohit debuff.)

Edited by Super Homer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Arkterusss said:

Cut Touch of Fear

Keep Dark Con the way it is

Replace Touch of Fear with Engulfing Darkness

🤙

I've already suggested this twice in the other threads so t hu is has my vote. I'd also say to lower DCs recharge to at least two minutes. 3 is just WAY too long for what it does and it should still line up with SD.

I still like the Dark Consumption is a mini nuke based on your endurance levels.

Was it really that bad when paired with Soul Drain?  One would be using Endurance as they go, so would that many if any be able to keep their endurance up as often as they had DC ready to go?

One looks like they can already turn it into a many nuke with Procs (just under 300 damage for a 1.188 animation time and almost no end cost, with just 3 procs and some quick added IOs), more so if they put the Purple Proc and Purple IOs in it, which I can get it (with just quick IOing and not trying to hard) 330 Damage, and almost 90 second recharge on just slotting it and no other outside +RCH.

• 3 weeks later

sooo when is Issue 26, Page 6 happening?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

sooo when is Issue 26, Page 6 happening?

My guess is 6 months.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

• 1 month later
On 3/31/2020 at 7:05 PM, Bopper said:

My guess is 6 months.

= (

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

• 3 weeks later
On 3/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, Troo said:

@Captain Powerhouse I would just like to say the initial Dark Consumption tweak was inspired and a thing of beauty in my opinion.

• It kept the existing functionality and provided some additional aoe damage in a unique way.
  • Lowering the recharge and increasing it's viability in both low endurance and high endurance situations.
  • Bonus damage applied to targets closest to the caster opened up an opportunity to do same real damage without clearing entire spawns. Very elegant.

Sure criticals were going to be too much and the curve would need adjustment. Hopefully this will be the starting point when/if this gets picked back up.

..and three moths later there have been some good ideas bounced around in various threads. As well as some additional support for the situational mini nuke. (and a nod to those against)

36 minutes ago, Troo said:

..and three moths later there have been some good ideas bounced around in various threads. As well as some additional support for the situational mini nuke. (and a nod to those against)

Still gonna say the best solution is to up the damage about double, 15ft radius, 60s recharge, and make most of the end gain on the first hit with a little on the consecutive hits somewhere about 25 end for the first and 2.5 for each additional.

It would also make sense if it had at least a 5% -to hit added to it as well.

This way you can have it up often enough as an attack, you can have every other line up with soul drain, and its damage and end gain abilities would be line up pretty well to not overpower it.

I think I am alone in this, but I wish Shadow Maul had been made a single target damage and have the damage increased. Making it a larger cone IMO was the opposite of what it actually needed. Before anyone rips me for this statement, just first realize that I have acknowledged that I am most likely alone in this opinion.

4 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I think I am alone in this, but I wish Shadow Maul had been made a single target damage and have the damage increased. Making it a larger cone IMO was the opposite of what it actually needed. Before anyone rips me for this statement, just first realize that I have acknowledged that I am most likely alone in this opinion.

You are 100% alone in that. Sounds like you should just play a DM stalker but dm does not have a ST issue.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

You are 100% alone in that. Sounds like you should just play a DM stalker but dm does not have a ST issue.

Thanks for kicking me while I was down, buddy.   😞  

*Walks away kicking a can*

• Haha 1

-looks around-  Hunh.  I missed this.  

Ive got a DM coming up, Ill hope this works out for her.

Between this and EM, its a hopeful future for my characters

• Like 1

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Thanks for kicking me while I was down, buddy.   😞  

*Walks away kicking a can*

I was just agreeing with you and then offering a helpful suggestion 😛 *hugs* lol

I do know what you mean though pre-midnight grasp, but dms major issue is aoe and its not bad st pre mg either, just not top tier till MG.

• Like 1