[QOL] Teleport-to-target versions of most teleport powers

I recently got Savage Leap on a character.  In terms of UI/playstyle, it's a lot nicer than other teleport-type powers, since it pops you to a target instead of a ground reticle.

Obviously, there are things that are nice about the ground reticle, but it's just fussier.  And powexeclocation doesn't fully solve its problems, since that's still a line of sight reticle under the hood.  For example, I often, in buildings, jump up a bit to see some mobs on a different floor and then savage leap into the middle of them.  I'd never try that with powexeclocation, even if there theoretically was a line of sight at some point, my experience is I'd almost certainly teleport nowhere.

So it'd be nice if we had an option to get at least other short-range target-focused teleports (Lightning Rod, Shield Charge, Burst of Speed) to behave the same, and honestly I wouldn't say no to having the OPTION to have all teleports, even plain old vanilla travel power teleport, work the same.  Some ideas for how this could work:

1. A Null the Gull flag changes the behavior of the power.
  2. (most preferred) When you take these powers, you get two powers (a la switch ammo), which share a cooldown, one of which is a ground-target and the other of which is a target target.
  3. (least preferred) if you use them while targeting someone they pop you to target, otherwise they bring up the ground reticle.
  4. A new powexec command, or modifier for powexeclocation (like /powexeclocation target:force lightning rod) that worked for these powers only that let you create macros and binds that give the full Savage Leap-style experience.
  5. Mutually exclusive chosen-at-power selection versions of the powers that work differently, a la how Sentinel mez protection works in Super Reflexes

Edited by aethereal
Added option 5

11 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I recently got Savage Leap on a character.  In terms of UI/playstyle, it's a lot nicer than other teleport-type powers, since it pops you to a target instead of a ground reticle.

Obviously, there are things that are nice about the ground reticle, but it's just fussier.  And powexeclocation doesn't fully solve its problems, since that's still a line of sight reticle under the hood.  For example, I often, in buildings, jump up a bit to see some mobs on a different floor and then savage leap into the middle of them.  I'd never try that with powexeclocation, even if there theoretically was a line of sight at some point, my experience is I'd almost certainly teleport nowhere.

So it'd be nice if we had an option to get at least other short-range target-focused teleports (Lightning Rod, Shield Charge, Burst of Speed) to behave the same, and honestly I wouldn't say no to having the OPTION to have all teleports, even plain old vanilla travel power teleport, work the same.  Some ideas for how this could work:

2. (most preferred) When you take these powers, you get two powers (a la switch ammo), which share a cooldown, one of which is a ground-target and the other of which is a target target.
  3. (least preferred) if you use them while targeting someone they pop you to target, otherwise they bring up the ground reticle.
  4. A new powexec command, or modifier for powexeclocation (like /powexeclocation target:force lightning rod) that worked for these powers only that let you create macros and binds that give the full Savage Leap-style experience.
  5. Mutually exclusive chosen-at-power selection versions of the powers that work differently, a la how Sentinel mez protection works in Super Reflexes

I use power_exec location to do this with Lightning Rod and Savage Leap.  Target a bad guy and then hit the button or key with the macro.

powexec_location target Lightning Rod

Edited by Sura

1 minute ago, aethereal said:

Dude.  It was the fourth sentence of the post.

Sorry, it sounded to me like you were using powerexec_location but still winding up with a targeting reticule, which you don't when using the target option.  I didn't get the "under the hood" part until now.  Just trying to help.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later
On 3/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, aethereal said:

I was actually going to request the opposite, since it's very easy to macro/bind to a target, but powers that cast on the enemy i've noticed have a lot of chances to not hit them cause it somehow makes the power go under the floor or something.