Homecoming Statistics: March 2020

Cipher

Welcome to the often fun, sometimes frustrating, but always entertaining world of "building a Unicorn". 😄

Quite a few of us took up that challenge.

... Which is one of the reasons we want to see an updated list. To see just HOW MANY of us managed to build and level those "What, there are none/very few of this?!"-types. 

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 5/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, Coyotedancer said:

Which is one of the reasons we want to see an updated list. To see just HOW MANY of us managed to build and level those "What, there are none/very few of this?!"-types

I wouldn't mind seeing this updated but I also wouldn't be too surprised if it hasn't changed all that much either.

I'm a long time stalker fan and even here, this long after the Issue 22 overhaul, Stalkers are still at the bottom of the list of standard ATs in popularity.  So I wouldn't suspect even after some of the powerset changes here that much has happened to change people's typical preferences on what is "the best" enough to make much of a difference in these charts.

• Banjo 1

• 4 weeks later

there are a couple of things I really like about this thread:

1) I'm doing it for SCIENCE!

2) I really like to see "underplayed" power combos - things you just don't see because sometimes they are a) really a buttload of fun to play and b) have some incredibly interesting synergies that are surprisingly effective* - and in my not so humble opinion add a huge amount of flavour to the game. I mean, fire/rad trollers are potent as is Ill/Time but Mind/Storm really rocks and while slow to solo has huge survival potential.

*except Mind Control/TA - that is super sucky. Don't do it. I ran one to 50 and deleted it so that you don't have to! But if you do, I know a dominatrix who'll be very pleased to meet you.

• Banjo 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

• 1 month later

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
On 7/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, Snarky said:

They have deep meanings. Each one. But if I told you it would cheapen the gift.

Can I have a gift receipt at least for….reasons?

Im sure it took some effort to come up with these stats the first time, and I’m equally sure the total player pop is significantly less than when these stats were first produced.  Even still, a smaller population somehow makes updated stats even more interesting.  So count me in as someone who would love an update even if I don’t expect one.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Banjo 1

• 4 months later
On 7/25/2021 at 11:59 AM, Snarky said:

Some new numbers:  7, 462, 12, and 16,431.

In order;

Number of Sentinels made and abandoned since the last update

Number of people who willingly undertook the Synapse TF "just for fun"

Half of Veracor's veteran level

More numbers for you all: 72, 2,520, and 211.159

• Haha 4
  • Banjo 1

Resident certified baby

• 2 months later
On 3/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, Cipher said:

User Statistics

Accounts & Concurrent Users (CCU)

This table shows the total number of accounts, number of active accounts (since Jan 2020), and the concurrent user (CCU) statistics for each month since Homecoming started.

Month

Avg CCUs

Peak CCUs

Total Accs

New Accs

Active Accs

Apr 2019

-

-

-

May 2019

-

Jun 2019

-

Jul 2019

-

Aug 2019

-

Sep 2019

-

Oct 2019

-

Nov 2019

-

Dec 2019

-

Jan 2020

Feb 2020

Time Played

People have spent 47,360,000 hours playing on Homecoming since we started back in April of 2019; that’s 5,402 years! Here’s a breakdown of that data per shard:

image.png.b62039d20f9e3b61ab588d16b03389ee.png

Out of curiosity, and its been two years, is is possible to get an update?  If we can't do player base size/active size, can we get an update on the AT breakdown?

Thanks for all you guys do.

• Banjo 1

1 hour ago, laudwic said:

Out of curiosity, and its been two years, is is possible to get an update?  If we can't do player base size/active size, can we get an update on the AT breakdown?

Thanks for all you guys do.

While not exactly what you are looking for, there is real time data for player counts on the Server Status tab for this forum. I would go so far as to say that if a player wanted to know the average player count per server (and what faction they belong to) they could record that data for a day, week, or month and post it for others to view.

• Banjo 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

20 hours ago, Krimson said:

I have a feeling we don't have anywhere near 30k active accounts.

That's where I'm at.  I mainly solo, but I watch general chat and help discussions.  Things have started to, in my opinion, get quiet lately.  I enjoy this game as a stress relief and, frankly, I haven't found anything else like it so I really want this to continue. . . 

• Banjo 1

Its spring time!

The game is seasonal folks, me and my VG out of 7 members, only a couple of us are getting on regularly now.

Summertime is going to be worse, mainly winter and late fall is when we are on.

Unless, an issue or holiday event happens probably not going to see much spikes in population.

• Banjo 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Its spring time!

The game is seasonal folks, me and my VG out of 7 members, only a couple of us are getting on regularly now.

Summertime is going to be worse, mainly winter and late fall is when we are on.

Unless, an issue or holiday event happens probably not going to see much spikes in population.

Nah.  Season doesn't have much to do with it.  The Homecoming population as a whole has been steadily declining since late 2020, when the first wave of COVID-19 shutdowns began lifting.  It started really getting low in late 2021.  I know quite a few people hoped that Page Three and the Dr. Aeon SF would bring a lot of people back, but it didn't.  There was a small spike, but that was gone in about two weeks.  Since then, the Homecoming population has been steadily dropping (yes, even during the winter), to the point that it's now about half what it was a year and a half ago, and all of the shards other than Excelsior are really hurting as more and more people transfer to Excelsior.  Even Everlasting is now in "light" status sometimes, and Excelsior's population is down substantially from a year ago.

City of Heroes is an eighteen year-old video game with a 22 year-old game engine.  There have been a lot of new video games and video game expansions recently, (Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Final Fantasy XIV, Elden Ring, among others).  COVID-19 restrictions are now mostly lifted everywhere, people are going back out.  At the end, Homecoming will always have its die hard userbase, but the userbase will continually get smaller and smaller until that's all that's left.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

I have some very good and close friends that stopped playing City of Heroes over the past two years as they've gotten really bored with it and feel that there's nothing new they can do with the game, and I've recently started playing in other games with them myself as I miss playing with them.  I intend to split my play time between, so we'll see how that goes.

IMO, the only thing that can help with the population is if Homecoming abandons issues and pages and starts making smaller and more frequent, possibly less tested, updates, but even then there wouldn't be a huge population spike.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

I think the game is in the mode of where we will get spikes based on releases, but people will likely just play it casual coming in and out as needed. I'm slowing getting to the point of playing for the sake of playing and not really having an answer for "now what?" I have like 4 builds to get to 50, and after that, I can't think of any I have a real desire to get to 50. I'll just play my 50s.

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

40 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I can't think of any I have a real desire to get to 50

This is where I am too. I occasionally think of a combo and go "eh. It'll just be a copy of X". I even have my quota of weird combos fully IOed out.

Nowadays I've been logging on just to generate logs for testing the parser 🤣

• Banjo 1

Without new power sets, it is basically the state of the game. New content is needed and nice, but I don't think a new TF adds as much as a new power set does. A TF can be done by existing characters. A new power set means more characters.

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 3/23/2022 at 3:07 PM, Glacier Peak said:

While not exactly what you are looking for, there is real time data for player counts on the Server Status tab for this forum.

The HC Discord also has a weekly chart here - https://discord.com/channels/572090223115239444/578851574412214272

I wonder if anyone has older screencaps of that page or if they are archived anywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Banjo 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Bombastus said:

Okay, so now my goal is to make one of each archetype combining the two lowest-frequency powersets, and level them all to 50.

Time to learn to love Ice, Rifles, Arrows, and Traps.

Ditto.

The race is on!

• Banjo 1

/e poofgone

On 3/24/2022 at 4:37 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

The HC Discord also has a weekly chart here - https://discord.com/channels/572090223115239444/578851574412214272

I wonder if anyone has older screencaps of that page or if they are archived anywhere.

3 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

How do I get an invite to this discord server?

Comes up blank for me in browser. With discord open, still opens blank in browser with no access.

Would still very much like a new data dump here in the forums of the latest info.

• Banjo 1