Homecoming Statistics: March 2020

Cipher

It would be interesting to see numbers on how many accounts are logged in at the same ip address. That 1,000+ logins looks strong, but likely inflated a bit.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Banjo 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 4 months later
On 8/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Any chance on that data refresh?

I was just looking for fresh numbers myself.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
On 3/28/2022 at 4:09 PM, Troo said:

It would be interesting to see numbers on how many accounts are logged in at the same ip address. That 1,000+ logins looks strong, but likely inflated a bit.

So... There are several spouses I know (myself included) that will show from the same IP address even though it's unique individuals, if you insist on using that layer of the OSI Model exclusively.  And yes I'm aware several people have multiple accounts (and not just for farming, it's often used for roleplay purposes, such as as having your hero and villain squaring off, or being surrounded by vampires, or whatever), but in reality most players only frequent one account (and very few people have more than 3 accounts, as it's too much of a hassle to bother (i.e: Now where did I put that enhancement set again?  What account was that character on again?)).  With 1000 character slots per account, it doesn't really matter tbh.  People can Alt-itis to their hearts content, what matters more is that they're actively play)
In short, such data is too messy, and thus probably too unreliable to use and have it mean anything useful.
What would be more useful is to know what IXPs traffic flows though, so we know where bottlenecks in internet traffic happen.
Some of them I've figured out, but just the major ones.

But more importantly:
I still want to see updated per AT & powerset data for this topic, truly.
Please?

Edited by agentx5
  • Thanks 2
  • Banjo 1

4 hours ago, Krimson said:

@Cipher people are going to keep asking until the thread is locked, or hidden.

Um... why would you even say that?  Transparency is a good thing, especially for a non-profit donor-funded organization.

Just a bit of pseudo-code insight into how the CoH engine stores power choices on your character file in the database on server side; it's constructed as a vector-array, kind of like this:
Power(): levelbought(0), buildnum(0), disabled(false) {}
Power(string i, int l, int b, bool d): id(i), levelbought(l), buildnum(b), disabled(d) {}

Here's filter construct that Ruby (https://gitlab.com/rubidium-dev/powers) came up with (at least as far as I know), which is used to help with the City of Data (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/index.html) website tool that's so darned useful:
(It should be theoretically possible to pull graphs like in the OP of this topic with all these categories!)

power_categories = [
    "Arachnos_Soldiers",
    "Blaster_Ranged",
    "Blaster_Support",
    "Brute_Defense",
    "Brute_Melee",
    "Controller_Buff",
    "Controller_Control",
    "Corruptor_Buff",
    "Corruptor_Ranged",
    "Defender_Buff",
    "Defender_Ranged",
    "Dominator_Assault",
    "Dominator_Control",
    "Epic",
    "Incarnate",
    "Inherent",
    "Mastermind_Buff",
    "Mastermind_Summon",
    "Peacebringer_Defensive",
    "Peacebringer_Offensive",
    "Pool",
    "Prestige",
    "Scrapper_Defense",
    "Scrapper_Melee",
    "Sentinel_Defense",
    "Sentinel_Ranged",
    "Stalker_Defense",
    "Stalker_Melee",
    "Tanker_Defense",
    "Tanker_Melee",
    "Teamwork",
    "Training_Gadgets",
    "Warshade_Defensive",
    "Warshade_Offensive",
    "Widow_Training",
]

There's a frankly lot of good insight that could potentially result from updated data. I see it more than just what's popular, but trying to understand why something is more or less popular than another is interesting.  For the least popular, it begs the question why do people rarely try that?  If it were feasible, this could broken down into specific powers too (but depends on how the data can be searched and indexed from a server database)  It helps us as a community come up with with fun ideas to improve the game, or even decide things are good as-is and should be left alone.  But data that's about 2.5 years old now...  We're kind of in the dark.  Who know, maybe Fire Aura Brutes went out of fashion and there's bunch of people with dual pistols now because of the Ambassador's client-side audio mod (via CoH Modder).  Maybe Warshades are no longer as rare as they were?

Honestly, the way this topic is titled, it honestly makes it sound like it was going to be periodically updated, just the like the monthly financial data.  (and that's also something I'm thankful for the transparency on, a huge kudos for HomeComing for doing that regularly!)  Maybe priorities changed, but I for one would still love to have an update on this data!  And I know I'm not the only one 😜

❤️💛💚💙💜  We are nerds too!  We hunger for data!  ❤️💛💚💙💜

But not brains though, we're not zombies.  Well, most of us are not undead.  I hope...

Maybe we should ask @The Curator instead to feed our collective thirst for knowledge? 😄

Edited by agentx5
  • Banjo 1

21 hours ago, agentx5 said:

".... often used for roleplay purposes, such as as having your hero and villain squaring off, or being surrounded by vampires, or whatever)... "

Or demons. Lots of demons. 

I never farmed on live, yet had 4 active accounts for quite a while. One was my husband's, that he abandoned when he stopped playing and gave me, the other three were my own, created so members of my character's family could play together (all are my characters). 

• Banjo 1

*IF* the data is easy to access and compile, it would be awesome to see a "year in review" type post with figures (graphs?) from the preceding year. That way it would be easily comparable, year to year. 

Just a thought. I understand that y'all are just volunteers and can only stretch so far so I understand if it's not doable. But it would be really cool.

• Banjo 1

Accessing the data should be easy enough. It is putting it into actual forum form which would be annoying. 

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 1 month later
  • 7 months later
  • 1 month later

Server consolidation has been debated since live and no one has convinced me (or the devs) that it's a good idea.  Some reasons why it's a bad idea:

1.  Loss of names - if someone else has "Bionic Flea" on another server one of us has to lose the name or we otherwise have to differentiate between the two.

2.  Loss of SG - People spend a lot of time and effort creating their bases.  And a lot of people use it for storing valuable in-game items

3.  Some people prefer smaller populations

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Banjo 1