Homecoming Statistics: March 2020

Cipher

6 hours ago, summers said:

How about there's still no 50s!

That's exactly what I was asking for. Ice/Battle Ax was one I remembered off the top of my head. It had no 50s last list I saw and now there are 5.

Where did you find a list?

• Banjo 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Obus Form said:

I'm wondering if there are any ways to advertise the existence of COH homecoming on more mainstream outlets such as MMO gaming news feeds, etc.

If people paid, and COH was willing, would the dev team ever consider putting a YouTube add?

You are asking for something which would only happen if the game was official.

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 hours ago, Crysis said:

The total population drop that happened in Aug/Sep was noticeable.  Let’s hope end of school year coming brings back some summer players but I’m doubtful.

They're not coming back.  The vast majority of players back in April through July were WoW and/or WoW clone MMOG players looking for another WoW clone MMOG to play.  When they saw that CoH isn't it, they moved on.

• Banjo 1

16 minutes ago, Bombastus said:

Okay, so now my goal is to make one of each archetype combining the two lowest-frequency powersets, and level them all to 50.

Seeing Arachnos Widows at the bottom of the list last time they did FOTM stats made me give it a second chance and it turns out that a fortunata build is the most fun I've had in the game  

Edited by Gulbasaur
Wrote something bordering on incoherent because I'm tired.
  • Like 2
  • Banjo 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

44 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

Seeing Arachnos Widows at the bottom of the list last time they did FOTM stats made me give it a second chance and it turns out that a fortunata build is the most fun I've had in the game  

You're a player of refined tastes.

• Banjo 1

11 minutes ago, oldskool said:

You're a player of refined tastes

I know ❤️

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

They're not coming back.  The vast majority of players back in April through July were WoW and/or WoW clone MMOG players looking for another WoW clone MMOG to play.  When they saw that CoH isn't it, they moved on.

Well if true, and I suspect you are right....

Paragon City is dying again.

• Banjo 1

2 minutes ago, Crysis said:

The pop numbers have been trending up since New Year's, but don't let that get in the way of hijacking this into a doom thread.

Back on topic, no Kin/Fire scraps?  Huh.

• Like 3
  • Banjo 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

1 minute ago, Crysis said:

Nah.  As long as the source code is out there (and it is, and always will be), City of Heroes will live on in some form.  Whether it be Homecoming, CoXG, Rebirth, or a thousand small private servers.

Let's face it.  City of Heroes is a sixteen year-old video game using 21 year-old code and tools.  Many of the people that played the game in 2004 through 2008 are either gone, or have moved on.  Quite a few people I know back in 2010 thought that City of Heroes looked and felt dated and refused to play it because of that.  In 2020?  Forget it.

The game will always have its die hard fans, but to expect it to be as popular as it was back in 2004 or even 2009 is naïve.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

The stalker numbers are very different than I would have expected. 

Is Psi/Energy a PvP thing?

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Banjo 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

30 minutes ago, Crysis said:

By the same token, there are threads from folks who only JUST found out that CoH is alive again.  I see a few of those a week.  Imagine if Homecoming was able to actually advertise that fact, rather than letting word of mouth alone dictate the pace of new player influx.  I suspect there would be a dramatic rise in overall player numbers for a few months, and then when the shine wore off for the new crowd, the numbers would decrease again.  But, probably would still be elevated above today's numbers, having left behind another wave of die-hard CoH lovers, who will play as long as it's available to do so.  I look forward to the day we can find out if I'm right, or not.

• Like 7
  • Banjo 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

4 hours ago, roleki said:

@Veracor Out of curiosity, how many Shards/Threads do you have on your VL2273?

inc-3-3-20.png.76b787746642e8a9d76963a1e9dbaf89.png

I am constantly hitting the limit of 10k Threads have to burn them.  I think I've led almost 600 iTrials on Homecoming?  I'd have to go back and count.

The 3.5k Shards are probably a better indicator of drop rate vs vet levels, since those aren't awarded anywhere.  And no, I never pay attention to what the WST is. >.>

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

Ah, data!  So many ways to parse it! 🙂

I was interested to see what ATs players tended to take to 50 (all numbers based on data excluding FA Brutes):

Controller 12.18%
Arachnos Widow 10.80%
Arachnos Soldier 10.43%
Corruptor 10.25%
Tanker 10.09%
Defender 10.04%
Blaster 8.67%
Brute 8.17%
Stalker 8.12%
Scrapper 7.99%
Dominator 7.76%
Warshade 7.72%
Peacebringer 7.33%
Sentinel 7.09%
Mastermind 4.67%

So players who run Controllers are usually in for the long haul, along with those that play VEATs, Corruptors, Tankers, & Defenders.  Interesting that support ATs are so well-represented here - but not surprising if you consider that players who opt to play support may be less inclined to be motivated by short term goals.  But it appears that a lot of players that roll up a Mastermind quickly discover that the play style is not their cup of tea & don't complete the run to 50.

I was also interested in the Playing Time per Character for the Level 50s:

Brute 230.52
Tanker 229.73
Scrapper 174.42
Warshade 164.35
Peacebringer 151.12
Controller 139.67
Blaster 138.48
Sentinel 138.20
Mastermind 136.62
Arachnos Soldier 125.67
Defender 120.17
Dominator 118.29
Stalker 117.17
Arachnos Widow 113.34
Corruptor 111.50

Brutes at #1 is no surprise.  Even excluding Fiery Aura Brutes, it is a good bet that a lot of Brute level 50 playing time is in farms.  But let's face it - playing Brutes is just fun!  Broot smash! 😎  On almost any TF/SF/Trial that I recruit or join, Brutes are well represented.

But Tankers as the clear #2 by a big margin is surprising.  It would seem that a lot of player base is like me & has a Tanker main that they enjoy pulling out on a regular basis for the rough stuff. 👍  Or it could be that, before the recent Tanker damage increase, it just took Tankers that long to complete anything. 😛

Scrappers at #3?  More proof that everyone wants to be a Scrapper I guess. 😉

Warshades & Peacebringers at #4 & #5 is unexpected, given their relatively low rates of completing the run to 50.  It would appear that the few players who do like the HEATS enough to level them to 50 like them just fine thank you. 🙂  The same seems to be true of those who play Masterminds as well, who check in at #10 here, well above their dead last place on the level 50 list.

I am surprised that Corruptors bring up the rear here.  As someone who played redside quite a bit on Live in the latter years when the Rogue Isles were a ghost town, & ran the iTrials regularly on multiple characters including my own Corruptor, I recall the AT being very well-represented at end game.  It is odd to me that players who have leveled their Corruptors to 50 apparently aren't playing them as much as I would have thought.  Hmmm.  I wonder if the direct competition with Defenders (who have better buff/debuff values) & Blasters (who do MOAR DAMAGE!) leaves Corruptors feeling a bit wanting. 🤨

Edited by Mister Mass
  • Like 7
  • Banjo 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

58 minutes ago, Veracor said:

inc-3-3-20.png.76b787746642e8a9d76963a1e9dbaf89.png

I am constantly hitting the limit of 10k Threads have to burn them.  I think I've led almost 600 iTrials on Homecoming?  I'd have to go back and count.

The 3.5k Shards are probably a better indicator of drop rate vs vet levels, since those aren't awarded anywhere.  And no, I never pay attention to what the WST is. >.>

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside yo (salvage) trunk?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Banjo 1

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

One of the factors in certain sets being popular is for PvP so that is my guess as well. Farming and theme are the two biggest. Elec/shield for how well those two work together. I haven't looked at some sets to see if they had gone up or down, but I did see Rad/shield scrappers go down 15+ spots in popularity despite how well that build has worked for me. 

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

In terms of builds I got to 50 and more so the ones I care enough to play afterwards.

Water/temp blaster - 14

Claws/wp brute - 71

Plant/storm controller - 13

Dark/dark controller - 3

Rad/shield scrapper - 64

StJ/ea stalker - 7

Sonic/sonic defenders being 14 is surprising to me. 

• Banjo 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

21 hours ago, ShinMagmus said:

You have failed me for the last time: Empathy spammers.  Seriously though, how is a buff set that bad/outclassed so popular on Defenders when it's so much less (understandably) played across the other 3 ATs with access to the buff sets?  Meanwhile sets that can easily scratch that Empathy itch like Thermal (my Therm easily has a gapless heal-chain of Warmth+Cauterize) and which also provide actual debuffs and some sort of worthwhile kill-time-reduction to the team languish in obscurity?  Empathy's lead is worse than Fiery Aura's on Brutes because those farmers don't actually do regular content: the mass Healers do.  It's not hyperbole to say that they'd bring more to most teams with any set other than Force Field or TA.  Actually no, TA would indeed bring more to Incarnated God teams than Empathy does.

It's not just WoW players thinking "Oh, a healer!" There are at least two other big reasons people create empathy defenders:

Roleplaying: When superhuman empathy is a superpower, almost any story can be an origin story. Ordinary suffering can make someone a superhero. "He was always picked last for kickball" is a totally valid explanation for the ability to fortify the underdog.

The only power with comparably flexible potential for origin stories is Willpower.

PVP: Healers are essential in team PVP.  The two healing sets that are widely considered viable in PVP are Empathy and Pain Domination. (Thermal is also considered a viable set in PVP, but not for the "emp" role--at least, not according to the guides posted in the forums.) The tier list posted on Reddit lists Empathy as the top power for defenders and does not identify Pain Domination as one of the viable options. When I was choosing powersets for my first PVP defender (still in development), I consulted this tier list. I doubt I'm the only one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/cfgpzq/pvp_tier_list_recluses_victory_ioincarnate_meta/

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15386-pvp-resources/

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Yes. Psi and Energy are both top-tier PVP powers. My first toon with full accolades is a Psi/Energy stalker. When I go into Recluse's Victory, he dies a lot, but not as fast or as often as the other toons I've attempted to bring there.

• Banjo 1

2 hours ago, Mister Mass said:

I am surprised that Corruptors bring up the rear here.  As someone who played redside quite a bit on Live in the latter years when the Rogue Isles were a ghost town, & ran the iTrials regularly on multiple characters including my own Corruptor, I recall the AT being very well-represented at end game.  It is odd to me that players who have leveled their Corruptors to 50 apparently aren't playing them as much as I would have thought.  Hmmm.  I wonder if the direct competition with Defenders (who have better buff/debuff values) & Blasters (who do MOAR DAMAGE!) leaves Corruptors feeling a bit wanting. 🤨

It's due to procs.  Most Defenders procced to the gills do more damage than most Corruptors.  Once procs are nerfed, you'll see more Corruptors around.

• Haha 2
  • Banjo 1