Glowie sound replacement

Hello superfriends,

I often play in a noisy environment where I have a lot of trouble hearing the glowie sound, so I've replaced it with something else. The audio file is a simple beeping noise that repeats. It makes it a lot more audible and makes glowies a lot easier to find.

To install:

Simply extract the data folder to your City of Heroes folder (where cityofheroes.txt is located). Click yes if it asks you if you want to overwrite something. Restart CoH to finish installation.

Uninstall:
- Go to <coh directory>/data/sound/Ogg/FrontEnd/
- Delete the file Objective_loop.ogg
- Restart CoH

Download attached. Happy heroing/vilaining!

glowie sound replacement.zip

Edited by art0rz
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:44 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

Huh... I had no idea you could do that.  😏

How did you not? There's like a whole thread (somewhere on here) about it. :p

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:
On 3/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, WanderingAries said:

How did you not? There's like a whole thread (somewhere on here) about it. 😛

@Oubliette_Red used a smirk, thus making it a sarcastic remark, methinks. 

@WanderingAries did use a ':p' so I think they understood that I was being facetious. 😉

I suppose I could have used my usual

😄

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

7 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

@WanderingAries did use a ':p' so I think they understood that I was being facetious. 😉

I suppose I could have used my usual

😄

I suppose this is where I point out that we've given painful examples of the different generations of emoticons? >.<

IE: I use like Net 1.0

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

8 hours ago, Fomsie said:

Just need a version where the Glowie keeps saying, "Wow" like Owen Wilson... or "Hello there" Obi Wan style.

What about "Marco!" and for RP you hot key "Polo!"? :D

• Haha 2

When I'm playing with friends one of them will usually say in vc "Got a box full of hyenas over here." when they come across a glowie though they usually don't play with sound on.

Seriously debating on making this an option for the folks who really want to hear the glowie...

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I would pay money (probably shouldn't phrase it that way) for a mod that instead of making a sound, made a red boarder around my screen or other obvious visual indicator when I was near a glowie.  I generally don't play with sound... and even when I do I often struggle finding glowies. 

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

21 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I would pay money (probably shouldn't phrase it that way) for a mod that instead of making a sound, made a red boarder around my screen or other obvious visual indicator when I was near a glowie.  I generally don't play with sound... and even when I do I often struggle finding glowies. 

Me too. If someone could figure out how to do this it would be amazing!

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I normally keep sounds down overall, so yeah, a glowies is one of those times I have to unmute.

:/

Might be something to put up in Suggestions. I tend to play with my game sounds at 3% which is still loud enough to hear glowies and other sfx in the game without drowning out my friends in vc.

Having a 'halo' around a glowie that's visible through walls (maybe a modified chat bubble of sorts would work since those can bee seen through everything) would be of benefit to the hearing impaired as well.