Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Powers (Build 3)

8 hours ago, KelvinKole said:

You're comparing the ally buffs from every single set to four powers in the same set. It's not apples to apples.

Take Cold Domination, for example. There's only three powers in that set that can't benefit the caster in some way and you mentioned them. Compared to Electrical Affinity, which has 7 powers that can't benefit the caster if the silly pet wasn't there - Shock and Faraday cage. can provide a benefit. This was an initial complaint about the set and that's how we ended up with the pet. I'm not disagreeing that the pet solves it, but I stand by my opinion that it's super awkward to use in game. I haven't even been able to ramp up to any kind of difficult content yet, but my assumption is the pet is just going to die anyway and I'll hit the floor shortly after. I'd feel sturdier as an Empathy defender who can at least give myself RAs and PbAoE heals, allowing me to focus on blasting/controlling rather than maintaining buffs in a strange way. If these skills are to benefit the caster, just make them originate on the caster or turn them into siphons and then give us something more useful than the pet. 

Have it come from the caster but keep the pet.  I like the pet.  A lot.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 3/4/2020 at 5:46 AM, Jimmy said:

New Support Powerset: Electrical Affinity

Powers

• ShockTherapy_RejuvenatingCircuit.png.9d37e1718186c520d2153b9a61fdfe38.png T2: Rejuvenating Circuit (Ranged (Chain), Ally Heal, Self +Static)
    • Create a circuit of healing energy between two nearby allies, healing them for a small amount. Every stack of Static you have will cause this power to chain to an additional ally, and the number of jumps will double at 5 stacks. Each successive jump along the chain will heal the next target for less. Rejuvenating Circuit grants 1 stack of Static. Recharge: Moderate
  • ShockTherapy_EnergizingCircuit.png.8a9a5dc9b610aae36727dab25de5034b.png T4: Energizing Circuit (Ranged (Chain), Ally +End, +Max End, Self +Static)
    • Create a circuit of pure energy between two nearby allies, restoring a small amount of their endurance and increasing their total endurance pool for a short time. Every stack of Static you have will cause this power to chain to an additional ally, and the number of jumps will double at 5 stacks. Each successive jump along the chain will restore less endurance to the next target. Energizing Circuit grants 1 stack of Static. Recharge: Slow
      • Now grants +5 max endurance (enhanceable) for 30 seconds
      • Fixed this power not jumping back to the caster
  • ShockTherapy_EmpoweringCircuit.png.1fea10aa19ad95294de2f3546ddb6384.png T6: Empowering Circuit: (Ranged (Special), Ally +DMG, +Special, Self +Static)
    • Create a circuit of empowering energy between two nearby allies, increasing their damage output for a short time. Every stack of Static you have will cause this power to chain to an additional ally, and the number of jumps will double at 5 stacks. Each successive jump along the chain will empower the next target for less. Empowering Circuit grants 1 stack of Static. Recharge: Slow
  • index.png.f5fb8575eb7ab70f373c9a5d7f5f6319.png T8: Insulating Circuit (Ranged (Special), Ally +Absorb, Self +Static)
    • Create a circuit of protective energy between two nearby allies, granting them a small protective shield. Every stack of Static you have will cause this power to chain to an additional ally, and the number of jumps will double at 5 stacks. Each successive jump along the chain will shield the next target for less. Insulating Circuit grants 1 stack of Static. Recharge: Slo

The phrase "Each successive jump along the chain will [...] the next target for less" in each of these powers is no longer true and may be misleading.

Something simple such as "The first two targets receive stronger X" still misses by a bit, but is closer to the truth.

38 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

uhhh...is that REALLY how it's supposed to work?

As far as I know, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a time where having the Performance Shifter proc in an end drain proc would trigger a +end on your target. That should no longer be the case, but as far as buffing allies, I believe it's normal that it could proc for anyone on the team. I'll have to test non-chain powers to know for sure.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Defrib would be nice if it did a small radius AoE stun or hold to enemies at max stacks- gives it more utility and give the set more options. As it stands I think the set's Rez feels like a power to skip every time.

• Like 1

Thanks for giving us another go at reviewing the set.

I'll echo the sentiment of other players about the set still feeling like it needs buffs. It's slightly better than before though, discounting bugs.

What I like:

The set is on the path to being unique and different. That's important and I appreciate the love you are putting into it!

What I'd like to see improved:

I still think the set is not generous enough with its buff numbers and durations.

• IMO the pet needs the Singularity treatment. Or at least be as strong as the pet from Dark Affinity. It has no resists and no defense. Also, it has no mezz protection.
    • Like others reported, the pet appears to have forgotten how to use its powers.
    • Look at pets in other sets. This one should be at least that strong.
      • Just not Voltaic Sentinel, a known clunker.  
    • Based on what is available in other sets, the pet should have a much longer duration.
      • I'd personally vote to drop the clunky extra duration for Static expenditure mechanic. But if you keep it, drastically improve durations. +30 sec - +1 min durations per Static.
    • Overall the pet needs to be more than just a prop to bounce chains off of. A temporary power pet can do that. 
  • Insulating Circuit
    • IMO the short duration of the effect makes this unwieldly. Like, you would have to really spam this power for it to have any practical effect and there are few situations where I think the effect makes it worth that. I think it needs a duration closer to 45-60 seconds, with recharge adjusted to match. The current effect isn't practical with the animation time.
  • Energizing Circuit
    • This is much better now that it can hit the caster.
    • Is it intended to hit targets multiple times? It seems to be right now. But that could be an error in the dialog reporting.
Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:
  • Insulating Circuit
    • IMO the short duration of the effect makes this unwieldly. Like, you would have to really spam this power for it to have any practical effect and there are few situations where I think the effect makes it worth that. I think it needs a duration closer to 45-60 seconds, with recharge adjusted to match. The current effect isn't practical with the animation time.

I greatly appreciate the testing you've been doing. I've found all of your analysis to be very insightful. I have been playing with the set a bit, but haven't done any group testing to see how the set really feels in action (that's the limitations of only logging on late night on the west coast...few others are on with me testing). Nonetheless, on paper it just doesn't seem like the above mentioned powers are all that limiting. 

As for Insulating Circuit, I'm not sure I understand the complaint. The power only has a 1 second animation time, and a 500 HP shield that lasts 20 seconds feels decent. If a 500 HP shield needs to last 45-60 seconds, odds are, the enemy isn't killing you fast enough to matter anyways. I'm likely going to spam this power anyways since it takes the Panacea proc, makes for a nice absorb, heal, endurance return.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

27 minutes ago, Bopper said:

As for Insulating Circuit, I'm not sure I understand the complaint. The power only has a 1 second animation time, and a 500 HP shield that lasts 20 seconds feels decent. If a 500 HP shield needs to last 45-60 seconds, odds are, the enemy isn't killing you fast enough to matter anyways. I'm likely going to spam this power anyways since it takes the Panacea proc, makes for a nice absorb, heal, endurance return.

Thanks for your comments. 🙂

It's true that spamming Insulation Shield basically duplicates a heal power. But Hit Points are permanent unless you exceed Max HP. The +Absorb in Insulation Shield lasts just 20 seconds. So unless your team is constantly at the brink of death, reapplying it has little meaning.

There are a couple of scenarios in game where it's probably overpowered and the majority of scenarios where it's just not great. On the one hand you're right--you could probably make a small team close to invincible. In general practice though, unless you've got reflexes like a tiger throwing a 20 second Absorb on a teammate probably has little effect.  I certainly didn't see many reasons to cast it while solo.

With a 60 second duration at least it would be around for most of the fight, and I could better justify applying it.

Edited by oedipus_tex

11 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Thanks for your comments. 🙂

It's true that spamming Insulation Shield basically duplicates a heal power. But Hit Points are permanent unless you exceed Max HP. The +Absorb in Insulation Shield lasts just 20 seconds. So unless your team is constantly at the brink of death, reapplying it has little meaning.

There are a couple of scenarios in game where it's probably overpowered and the majority of scenarios where it's just not great. On the one hand you're right--you could probably make a small team close to invincible. In general practice though, unless you've got reflexes like a tiger throwing a 20 second Absorb on a teammate probably has little effect.  I certainly didn't see many reasons to cast it while solo.

With a 60 second duration at least it would be around for most of the fight, and I could better justify applying it.

When solo, the power is perfect for your Galvanic Sentinel. It has a base HP of ~1000, so giving it an extra 520 HP really turns it into a nice meat shield. Plus, that absorb comes back to you, so you enjoy an extra 390 HP (75% of the max absorb). It is certainly one of my favorite powers of the set.

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

When solo, the power is perfect for your Galvanic Sentinel. It has a base HP of ~1000, so giving it an extra 520 HP really turns it into a nice meat shield. Plus, that absorb comes back to you, so you enjoy an extra 390 HP (75% of the max absorb). It is certainly one of my favorite powers of the set.

The Sentinel is unfortunately very vulnerable in its current state. Even Fire Imps and Electric Gremlins get some Resistance. 

I think cloning the values from Singularity are appropriate here. That would provide 50/50/50/50/90/90 Resistance. Yes that's very high. But this set needs to be able to count on the pet staying alive solo or else it will be radically better on Masterminds and Controllers, with their reliable pets.

That's also why I think the Sentinel needs a much longer duration. As is, if I played this set, it would only be on a Controller so I could avoid fiddling with the short duration, relatively ineffective  pet.

Edited by oedipus_tex

10 hours ago, Bopper said:

That's my thinking also. Pets don't have the set bonuses and personal defenses that characters do, so they take more damage... even on a team where little damage is taken, the pets often would still need their absorb shield refreshed regularly, and getting splash absorb onto the rest of the teammates isn't a bad thing. You can change the pet's name and then make a macro or keybind to target it and throw out an absorb (and another for a heal) to have a self absorb shield and a self heal get cast pretty quickly, so they're not inconvenient to use. It's a real help soloing, especially as the pet pulls AoE aggro, and if it's pulling aggro then having a longer duration doesn't matter... the shield is going to get worn down a lot faster than its duration.

And, of course, if it lasts longer than 20 seconds... then it's not a relevant power for the team whether it's 20 second or 60 second duration, since the incoming damage is being held to a minimum. Basically, in situations where you need it, you want it to be a short-recharge spammable power... and in situations where a longer recharge power with longer duration is useful, it's not that necessary. Having it recharge fast but with a shorter duration makes it more useful when a lot of damage is coming in. I'd prefer to have it be a useful power in tough fights than a more convenient power to make the health bars stay more immaculate during easier fights.

I'd probably make the g sentinel last 2 min and instead have consuming stacks result in it casting stronger debuffs.

The set isn't my cup of tea, but it is a rare squishy that can self heal and have full mez protection along with some other goodies. 

To me the set almost feels like a reactive sentinel (because of the superior ability to keep yourself standing) that can also buff the team pretty well.

My hope is that it is successful and we see more chaining mechanics propagated to sets like elec blast and delayed chaining to sets like poison. 

So this may be a bit extreme, but iv seen a few people point out that the set feels directionless, and I kind of agree. So I'd like to propose refocusing on what i feel is the core of the set's design.

Static, i feel like the entire concept of the build was originally built around stacks of static as a resource and chain jumping. I feel that idea is being slowly abandoned and that's a real shame, because static, and the various chain jumps are very unique and stylish and fun. These mechanics lend the set a sense of momentum, of build up and release, and I feel that energy has been lost somewhat.

I think Static absolutely should not be removed, instead i think it should be built out more, the speed buff was fun, but something more functional would be nice as well. I feel that the pet should be able to be multi summoned, so we can have multiple of them, but that they should, as a consequence be kept as extremely low or zero damage pets. Additionally i think if multi pets are allowed, the chains skills should prioritize allies and henchmen over your electric pets.

It is awkward to use the pets as self buff targets for soloing but there are solutions here. Here are some options, you can mix and match as desired.

-Make a couple of powers originate at self, such as the heal and end tool

-Make chains auto cast to the nearest pet if an enemy is targeted (possible code limitation)

-Add the pet to the henchmen menu

-Make the pets mirror your cast attempts (requires serious re balance and edges into MM territory)

I really want this set to be good, but more important than being good, i want it to be fun, and i feel some of the changes made have been to make the set stronger but at the cost of fun. That didn't need to happen, and I really would hope to see the mechanics of static stacks and chain hops expanded on rather than diminished.

Edited by Koopak

2 minutes ago, Koopak said:

-Make the pets mirror your cast attempts (requires serious re balance and edges into MM territory)

This seems like it'd be interesting--and help the target cap issues some people have had

1 hour ago, Koopak said:

I think Static absolutely should not be removed, instead i think it should be built out more, the speed buff was fun, but something more functional would be nice as well

I agree, and I hope they would implement a system where each stack gives the character a +2% +Special, maxing out at +10%. It doesnt sound like much, but that really does boost a lot for a character. 10% more heal, 10% more endurance mod, 10% more fly/run speed, 10% more defense (if you take powers like weave or maneuvers). And it would turn Amp Up into a beast as I would assume the +Special from your character would combine with the +Special given to the Amped Up ally. 

Plus it gives the set another identity that would be unique from all others. The chain mechanic is fantastic, and that is the sets defining feature. But adding the self buffing of +Special can really beef up the powerset to a level that I think would make it one of the stronger sets (not having a resistance debuff is the only thing that would keep me from saying it would be top).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I agree, and I hope they would implement a system where each stack gives the character a +2% +Special, maxing out at +10%. It doesnt sound like much, but that really does boost a lot for a character. 10% more heal, 10% more endurance mod, 10% more fly/run speed, 10% more defense (if you take powers like weave or maneuvers). And it would turn Amp Up into a beast as I would assume the +Special from your character would combine with the +Special given to the Amped Up ally. 

Plus it gives the set another identity that would be unique from all others. The chain mechanic is fantastic, and that is the sets defining feature. But adding the self buffing of +Special can really beef up the powerset to a level that I think would make it one of the stronger sets (not having a resistance debuff is the only thing that would keep me from saying it would be top).

I think a 2% Special would be unique and would be a draw to the set. And while quite useful in many ways, the bonus is small enough to not overpower anything. If the set had an in-set Defense power it might be an issue, but you struggle to get much over 10% from pool powers, so adding 1% to defense or so at maximum stacking doesn't seem like it can cause any problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coyote said:

I think a 2% Special would be unique and would be a draw to the set. And while quite useful in many ways, the bonus is small enough to not overpower anything. If the set had an in-set Defense power it might be an issue, but you struggle to get much over 10% from pool powers, so adding 1% to defense or so at maximum stacking doesn't seem like it can cause any problems.

I agree. This is one of the best suggestions I have seen that get to the core issue of the set without reinventing the wheel.  This set is unique and fun. I hope it stays that way. Changes to the numbers is the way to balance this, not making it something different from what it already is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

I really like Electrical Affinity as it is now, but that would make the power set nearly perfect, IMO.

• Like 1

... I was almost following the discussions right up to the point that +Special started to be discussed. Up until now, I had interpreted +Special as meaning 'you have to read the power description to know what this is, because it doesn't fit under the normal +Dam, +Absorb, etc short forms.', but you guys seem to use it as meaning something very specific like '+ to everything'? What exactly is the real definition of +Special?

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

This is a great idea and starts to provide some really interesting synergy with pairing sets. More - Def from Radiation blast, more - tohit from dark blast, more -end from elec blast, more slow from ice blast, longer CC from holds, immobilize, stuns etc.

All of a sudden Electric Affinity has unique and real value

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

... I was almost following the discussions right up to the point that +Special started to be discussed. Up until now, I had interpreted +Special as meaning 'you have to read the power description to know what this is, because it doesn't fit under the normal +Dam, +Absorb, etc short forms.', but you guys seem to use it as meaning something very specific like '+ to everything'? What exactly is the real definition of +Special?

It's commonly used as the modifier for boosting the secondary effects of powers like -tohit, slow, - endurance, - Def ect., but it also boost healing output, endurance modification dependent powers, and powers that provide +Def, as well as lengthening CC durations. It's sort of a catch all for everything that isn't +dam, +tohit, +resistance

Edited by KelvinKole
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, KelvinKole said:

It's commonly used as the modifier for boosting the secondary effects of powers like -tohit, slow, - endurance, - Def ect., but it also boost healing output, endurance modification dependent powers, and powers that provide +Def, as well as lengthening CC durations. It's sort of a catch all for everything that isn't +dam, +tohit, +resistance

Also, in powers description, when it says "Special" it does cover aspects that don't fall under the standard nomenclature of effects but when discussed here, the whole "+special" pretty much equates to the effects of the Power Boost power that buffs enhanceable power effects (with the exception of certain things like damage resistance or damage buffs). 

33 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

If you are familiar with Power Boost, it is that. Clarion Radial does it too. It boosts the Strength of almost all secondary effects. Here is a screenshot.

20200306_124133.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bopper said:

If you are familiar with Power Boost, it is that. Clarion Radial does it too. It boosts the Strength of almost all secondary effects. Here is a screenshot.

20200306_124133.jpg

To caveat from that, there is also the opposite effect or -Special in powers like Benumb and Weaken from the Poison set.

I have not played the set but I did want to make a suggestion specifically for the ATs that have pets. Make all the +recharge bonuses be changed to something like damage or something pets can actually use since pets don't benefit from recharge. The defender/corrupter versions can stay as is since they aren't relying on pets just to do damage.