The Philotic Knight's Field Trainer Desktop Alpha Released

The Philotic Knight

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let all of you know that haven't been checking the Tools forums lately, that I've been working on a new build planner, if you'd like to try it out. This program is open source, anyone can view all of the code, and take it and copy and modify it, as long as attribution is provided. This is the first step in creating a Web-based planner that will be largely based on the same logic, and the two apps will share the same codebase.

You can check out the details here, as well as download the app and/or the source code: http://www.cityofplayers.com/the-philotic-knights-desktop-field-trainer/

But I wanted to give you a quick rundown of the operation of the program, and an explanation of it. Why make a build planner, when we already have Mids, especially when it's worse than Mids? A few reasons:

1. I was asked to
  2. Mids is currently in "maintenance mode" and is no longer being worked on actively:
  3. Mids is currently Windows desktop based, and AFAIK no web version is planned

The program starts off with a default powers database based on my scan of the original @Leandro leaks. If you don't want to use that data, you can use the File > Scan Def Data menu option to scan whatever data directory you want to scan to get powers data. Just make sure you're pointing it directly at the /data directory, as all of my code is based on relative paths from that path. If you don't care about that, and just want to start making characters, you can start here:

image.png.ee48ebdca5597bb8b280ff3e0fe86bf7.png

Then, you type in the character name and press either Tab or Enter to activate the next option:

image.png.ae084f6859e6f3578456f83b8bca3a09.png

Pick your archetype:

image.png.c85fb8a9fc2322ef82c22856eeca5a77.png

Pick your primary:

image.png.363369c1000d7f361ec834b42c7b49b7.png

Pick your secondary:

image.png.0fec0924e0931a652ffd27836b78a08d.png

Then you can pick your first primary power:

image.png.745e40506660e75cb75fbc1e6ed2eb5a.png

And your first secondary power:

image.png.74c328057bb544bdce21a3191346137d.png

And then from there on, you'll start to see the level increment and alternate as appropriate between power picks and enhancement slot picking:

image.png.5e660a0802335d257bb23242cfac5251.png

image.png.f3085ea76ef743f9f19c0609cb830e09.png

image.png.19a393b4ab2a47f1689d5f7b15c6f8a9.png

image.png.945345e384539660a5cf932c15ad777c.png

You'll start to notice that after level 4, pool powers become available. It's a known bug right now that I'm also showing "sub-powers" that you shouldn't be able to pick from. Keep in mind that this is an alpha program!

image.png.77b7fc0738e4ba548f7cdc69515d708f.png

At level 35, you'll start to see Epic powers appear:

image.png.23567ba595a37c11c830f561f0fd5cbb.png

Until you reach "level 51":

image.png.b904e408383a0be19a743b76622e153e.png

At any point, you can export the current character:

image.png.231747dabd466acb97355d03e5eb412c.png

image.png.71046016871c8478b41bb4ea63a989dd.png

image.png.78161c2c17c1ea6d773c3a530a47bc2d.png

And then at any point in the future, import that character to continue from where you left off (warning: when you choose to import a file, your screen will be taken over for a minute as the import triggers the re-creation of the character on-screen!):

image.png.6bda8364b65d0097ef09fdc57172e0b3.png

image.png.016ed3e72e336ebb077066d4631cc97f.png

image.png.dbce5b6f21c936ada1f0cbc78b4be54f.png

A character at any time can be exported as an HTML document:

image.png.d12e2f34d3cb47deccaed400abaa3fc9.png

image.png.c82546eee3e66094c0ac2772fec1a3c3.png

Which opens in your default browser:

image.png.c22378371a63bbdda46212a9c65f097b.png

If you right click in that browser and choose "Select All" and "Copy", then you should be able to paste it into these forums, and it'll look something like this:

The Philotic Knight's Desktop Field Trainer
CharacterName: Testertron
AT_Name: Class_Blaster
PrimaryPowerSet_Name: Dark_Blast
SecondaryPowerSet_Name: Fire_Manipulation
CurrentLevel: -1
ProgramVersion: 0.5.0.0

Level PowerSet Name Power Name Slot1 Slot2 Slot3 Slot4 Slot5 Slot6
1 Dark_Blast Gloom (1)Empty
1 Fire_Manipulation Ring_of_Fire (1)Empty

If you run across any bugs or errors, please PM me and let me know. The features will probably stay as they are right now - minimal, as I will go into my dungeon and start building this app's Web version sister app. Please let me know if you have any comments, questions, or concerns about this application. I know it's kind of a crappy little program, but I don't think it's TOO bad for a program that started being created less than a month ago, and just in my spare time. Mids already had about a decade head start on me, so it'll be a while before I get up to that level of functionality. 😛

Any programmers might want to check out my code, as I have a Def Tools project that they might find useful in their own apps! The code is shared with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license, so any coders can go nuts with whatever they want to scrape from my program, as long as I get a bit of credit.

image.png

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't wait to try this out this evening; I'd been checking the tools thread here and there but didn't realize you were so close to unleashing this.

• Thanks 1

Some 50ss: Burner Account (Fire/FF Ctrl) | Dr. Unconventional (Ill/Dark Ctrl) | Lawn Boy (Plant/Nat Ctrl) | Magma Lad (Fire/Kin Ctrl) | Metcalf (Grav/Kin Ctrl) | IcyBM (Ice/Trap Ctrl) | Jim With The Weather (Ice/Storm Ctrl) | Dr. Jonas (Mind/Poison Ctrl) | Coldwire (Elec/Cold Ctrl) | Pyrotoxin (Fire/Poison Ctrl) | Nature Jack (Earth/Poison Ctrl) | Voltswagen (Dark/EA Ctrl) | Time Vampire (Grav/Time Ctrl) | Tootboy (Fire/FF Ctrl) | Polarrhoid (Ice/TA Ctrl) | LoLEnEn (En/En Blast) | Draw (Rad/Rad Def) | Destroyo (Bots/Trap MM) | Con Carne (Rad/Bio Brute) | Senor Smoke (Rad/Fire Brute) | Something Else (TW/Bio Scrap) | Thermador (Rad/Fire Brute) | Electrovox (EA/Son Def) Danzigawatt (Demons/EA MM) | Costumed Adventurer (Fire/EA Ctrl) | Obscured Face Guy (Dark/Storm Ctrl) | Ohm Gott (EA/Dark Def) | Full Recharge (Fire/Storm Ctrl) Spacegrass (Fire/Nat Ctrl) Embarrassing Wetness (Water/EA Corr) Weather Permitting (Ill/Storm Ctrl) Herr Fryer (Fire/Traps Ctrl) Rainiac (Grav/Storm Ctrl) Stokes (Fire/TA Ctrl) Dismembrandt (DB/Bio Scrap) Multidudes (Ill/Traps Ctrl) Meshuggenaut (Inv/RM tank) Miss October (Fire/Dark Ctrl) Spastic Colonial (Elec/Dark Ctrl) Heroic Pyromaniac (Fire/En Blast) Gigantic Robot (TW/Fire Brute| and there's more where THAT came from

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

How are you doing all of this? You are just a bubbler.

Bubbles. 0000 Lots and LOT of bubbles. 00000 Oh, and some 1s too along with the bubbles.

3 minutes ago, roleki said:

Can't wait to try this out this evening; I'd been checking the tools thread here and there but didn't realize you were so close to unleashing this.

Yeah, I had a vacation day yesterday and focused entirely on getting this into a barely functional release state since I had a teensy bit of time off to myself. The web version will most likely take a few months to release, as I should also focus a bit more on the daily job that pays me money!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

This is awesome! Nice work!

Any plans to make a Mobile version?

That's the plan. This desktop app was a prototype, to get something out there using tech that I'm very familiar with, and to create a Model and Controller that will help handle BOTH a desktop app and a web app. Because I'm more familiar with desktop app development. So, since this was faster for me to get out, this is the prototype for the whole system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I like the GUI.

But is "Testertron" really an ideal name?  I mean . . . I misread it as something else at first . . . I know I have a dirty mind, but I can't be the only one who will.  Can I?

Okay, I've got a dirty mind too, and I don't see it. "Testes-tron" is the closest I can get to something dirty in my head. The name was just something off the top of my head because I was lazy and tried to think of a quick name that wouldn't be too long to type for a five minute demo. 😛

• Like 1

Kinda quick-scrolled it, but I figured I'd see if you'd considered making it able to import from the game's savebuildfile function?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

@WanderingAries I hadn't considered it, because I've never heard of it until this moment. I'd have to learn all about it before considering such an import.

But I'd never say no to a possibility. 

• Like 1

"Class-Blaster"?  Well this is obviously a complete failure!

[ETA:  In case you can't tell this was sarcasm]

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Confused 1

Hi, I'm Clave Dark 5!  You may remember me from such characters as King Pumpkin Spice, Stupid Like A Fox, Capt Sam's Space Zoo, The Midnight Bridge, Piikal and P'Zhowm, Trash Ghost, and Rabitattatt, as well as a few really stupid AE arcs!

25 minutes ago, Sif said:

Fun fact: Internally, they're called classes, not archetypes 😄

I had no idea.

I'm a big fan of simplifying life, forms, and lifeforms, and the idea that every possible entry listed in that window would start with "Class__" just makes my teeth itch.  😬

But I'm mostly just being silly and salute Phil for sharing all this work with us - well done as ever.

Hi, I'm Clave Dark 5!  You may remember me from such characters as King Pumpkin Spice, Stupid Like A Fox, Capt Sam's Space Zoo, The Midnight Bridge, Piikal and P'Zhowm, Trash Ghost, and Rabitattatt, as well as a few really stupid AE arcs!

Just now, Zed said:

Auto-parse pigg/bin/defs into xml ? I'm going to love you for that !

JUST Defs, my friend. Just defs, and that's only been tested on everything in the powers directory so far, to be honest. And I'm sure the code has some logic issues and gaps, but it's worked so far to nab that data that *I've* needed, so far.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:15 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

@WanderingAries I hadn't considered it, because I've never heard of it until this moment. I'd have to learn all about it before considering such an import.

But I'd never say no to a possibility. 

I think I called it the wrong thing, but I'm talking about the build.txt (example below) file you create using the /buildsave. It ends up in the folder: ~\Tequila\USERNAME\Builds. I'm sure you can interpret how the file is organized based on what you've already accomplished.

From a certain "CoH/CoV Technical Ref Guide" someone made ;)

/build_save Save current character build to BUILD.TXT file.

/build_save_file filespec Save current character build to file designated by filespec.

build.txt

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)