Diminsion Shift

Mudcat

I was wondering, with dimension shift can it be used offensively? I know it use to be the oh crap button, but if I recall correctly back in the day everything just went out of phase and we could not hurt the mob and the mob could not hurt us. I did not play too many controller back then mostly defenders so I may be incorrect about how it used to work.

It can be used offensively! If you phase out something beyond the range of rDPS in your team it will offend them a lot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

You can use Dimension Shift as a way to safely pull a group of monsters and keep momentum going for your team if it relies on a lot of "planting". Basically use it like Wormhole but they run toward your team when you drop the shift and position yourself near your team. In fact, I found this to be less risky than Wormhole in the events a grouping is too high/big to transport via Wormhole or they have massive aggro range that would drop you in seconds if you let them.

3 hours ago, Mudcat said:

I was wondering, with dimension shift can it be used offensively?

3 hours ago, FourSpeed said:

It can -- take a peek at this guide thread from RedLynne  -->  Here

If you're clever and have built for it you certainly can ...

/em knowing look

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

/em knowing look

But for 90% of the players with the power it's utterly counterproductive.  Spawn down, on to the next... DimwitShift!  And we all waste end on unhittable mobs then sit around with thumbs up our butts waiting for it to end.  Then kill the spawn in a few seconds, move on to the next... DimwitShift!  Waste attacks, then discuss idiot Controller's parentage and general mental acuity... DimwitShift ends and we kill the spawn in seconds, move on to the next... you guessed it, DimwitShift!

On rare occasions the team gets through to the idiot controller and things smooth out.  More frequently the idiot gets kicked or players abandon the team.  It's one of the worst powers in the game in my opinion and I've NEVER seen it used productively.  I've seen lots of bad usage of powers in my time, Storm characters who insist on standing next to the tank with Hurricane running and other poor choices but I've also seen very effective Stormies use it to bunch up mobs for the tank to hold and the team to kill.  I've yet to team with anyone who can use DimwitShift as anything but a team griefing tool.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

then sit around with thumbs up our butts waiting for it to end.

It's a TOGGLE.

Your impressions of HOW IT WORKS are outdated.

6 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I've yet to team with anyone who can use DimwitShift as anything but a team griefing tool.

I did mention the requirement to be ...

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

clever

... because if you are, you can use it right, even in a team context.  The problem is all the ways you can use it "wrong" that aren't helpful.

That said, it will find a lot more uses in the solo/small team context, rather than in the full team context.

And just because you haven't seen it used well, doesn't mean it can't be used well.

IifneyR.gif

16 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

It's a TOGGLE.

Your impressions of HOW IT WORKS are outdated.

I did mention the requirement to be ...

... because if you are, you can use it right, even in a team context.  The problem is all the ways you can use it "wrong" that aren't helpful.

That said, it will find a lot more uses in the solo/small team context, rather than in the full team context.

And just because you haven't seen it used well, doesn't mean it can't be used well.

I bow to your superior knowledge; I've never played the set and those who have used the power on a team I was on never seem to realize they can turn it off so I didn't realize it was a toggle... making their use of it even stupider.

My opinion of it is undoubtedly colored by the uniformly poor ways that it's been used in my presence.  I'm sure there's a way to usefully use any power, unfortunately that's one that few players understand.

• Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

This.

It is a very interesting and unique power. Most people don't even scratch the surface with it. 

• Thanks 1

Dimension shift has changed so much over the years. Originally it was just an aoe intangible that didn’t even root the enemies and would confuse the hell out of players when all these intangible mobs would run about but be unattackable. This was back in the really newbie days when no one knew what they were doing anyway! Then it rooted the mobs but you couldn’t cancel it.

Now it’s a toggle, but I have to confess until I read the forums I forgot that it had been made a toggle! I always have a soft spot for this power because my first controller was grav/kin and it was my only aoe control power back in the day when teams would form to sweep Boomtown. Thematically I always thought it sounded amazing! 

Edited by Peacemoon

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

8 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

My opinion of it is undoubtedly colored by the uniformly poor ways that it's been used in my presence.

Granted.

Dimension Shift CAN be used badly in ways that are counterproductive to team efforts ... much like how Knockback CAN be used badly in ways that are counterproductive to team efforts.  It's the responsibility of the Player to coordinate with the team in ways that are NOT counterproductive (which can include educating the team in how Dimension Shift works, and why it can be helpful).  In context, melee monsters on the team ought to be unaffected, but it can be an issue for ranged attackers outside the bubble trying to attack into it (and vice versa).  The Dimension Shift bubble of AoE is simply an Attacks Do Not Cross boundary for attacks.  So inside can attack inside ... and outside can attack outside ... but you can't have inside attacking outside, nor outside attacking inside.

What confuses most people are the ... subtleties ... of how to use Dimension Shift effectively/cooperatively in a team.  Most melee attackers won't even notice when Dimension Shift is used (since it will typically not "foil" their attack strategies), while ranged attackers might need to reposition to be inside the bubble yet still out of melee range to continue attacking.

8 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I'm sure there's a way to usefully use any power, unfortunately that's one that few players understand.

Also granted.

There are a LOT of Players who simply can't be bothered to learn the subtle uses of their powers.  Laziness is A THING™ among Players.  It's why I went out of my way to be informative about how to use Dimension Shift in my Gravity/Time build post so that fewer people would be able to credibly use laziness of thinking as an excuse for making poor decision while playing the Gravity Control powerset.  😎

There's no such thing as foolproof ... merely fool resistant ...

IifneyR.gif

On 3/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, Redlynne said:

/em knowing look

On 3/4/2020 at 9:50 PM, Redlynne said:

These.

In my fairly limited experience with my Graf/FF, completely in a solo environment, so far, I find I use Dim Shift in a couple different scenarios.

1> I'm fighting with an EB, or Boss Spawn and an "ambush" arrives.  Queue DS to cover the ambush so they have to wait their turn to get at me,     or

2> I'm in a battle where I've taken more dmg than I care to, so Queue DS over the fight. Then I can back out of it and leave them to Singy for awhile, while I take that time to heal, and prep to dive back in.

You can also wormhole another group into the DS, but since it only lasts 20 secs anyway, I find I don't do that very often, and even the scenarios above are only occasional. Solo, I find that Wormhole, repeated use of Crushing Field, along with Singy's help, locks everything down pretty well already.

Regards,

Edited by FourSpeed