Give a GM a Little Positivity!

I was only very vaguely aware there were some private servers of some sort out there, but never much looked into them--my assumption was things were at the level of pipe dreams and at most people being able to stand around an otherwise unpopulated Atlas Park. Which mostly seemed like unhealthy grieving by digging up a corpse and putting it in new costumes! But my standing assumption was that the game I loved was dead, period end of.

Then a couple months ago now something got through my Assumption Shield (probably due to reality's built-in streakbreaker effect) and yeah, familiar story. I am nothing short of delighted and amazed the game's not only alive again, but in its niche way thriving. I'm very thankful to everyone who's sank their free time and effort and skills into making that happen and continue to happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Drastic said:

I was only very vaguely aware there were some private servers of some sort out there, but never much looked into them--my assumption was things were at the level of pipe dreams and at most people being able to stand around an otherwise unpopulated Atlas Park. Which mostly seemed like unhealthy grieving by digging up a corpse and putting it in new costumes! But my standing assumption was that the game I loved was dead, period end of.

Then a couple months ago now something got through my Assumption Shield (probably due to reality's built-in streakbreaker effect) and yeah, familiar story. I am nothing short of delighted and amazed the game's not only alive again, but in its niche way thriving. I'm very thankful to everyone who's sank their free time and effort and skills into making that happen and continue to happen.

What you referred to was Icon, which was exactly as you described.  A lonely walk through the nostalgia of being in-game, and hearing the music.  But, that was about it.  Paragon Chat came along later, and gave us the ability to interact with others, hunt badges, participate in "kind of" holiday events, and gather for special occasions.  The screenshots of the celebration of life for Stan Lee in Paragon Chat would bring a tear to the eye, especially considering it was all for him, since there was no actual play possible there.  Now, of course, we can play just like the good old days, but even better.  We appreciate what we have so much more than we did back then.  Losing it was a reminder that all things end.   Sometimes, before their time.  So, we now know to savor every day on these servers, and express appreciation for the opportunity to do it all again!

• Like 3

What was no more, is REBORN!

I've not had any experience good or bad with GM's here on HC but I have to congratulate everyone involved in our resurrect dead spell here.  They're all working as volunteers in a frequently thankless job and I for one appreciate it.

To anyone who's complaining about the crew here, just remember that they're doing it for FREE so we can have a game we enjoy playing.  Let's all keep that in mind and cut them some slack if something happens you don't like. 

• Like 3

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I had an issue with my base so opened a ticket. It was not a major issue so there was no rush in solving it. In a short time I was invited to discord to work on the issue. 

I was in a TF that I guess has a known issue with a boss decoy disappearing preventing the completion of it. The team leader opened a ticket or something to request help. I figured it would take a while for a response and was just resigned to the idea we would have to abandon the TF. In minutes I see this shiny avatar being show up and the TF completes. 

Thank you GMs for all you do. 

PS. I want that shiny avatar as a character model! 😃

• Thanks 2

Thank you GM team for running the game so well that I've never had an issue that requires a GM!

to have the game back at all is a miracle.  to have it run by a competent, dedicated team - and to still be adding new content - is... ... well, a second miracle tbh.

• Like 2

And another shout-out to GM Sijin, for being especially approachable and engaging in compelling topic discussions (when GM Sijin had the time and opportunity to do so, at least).

(and please remember the purpose of this thread, folks.  If you have something else on your mind, please consider a private message or another more appropriate thread.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I consider my monthly contribution as my way of saying "Thanks" to the folks who make this possible, and for their efforts in legitimizing this whole effort, so that we have CoH back for as long as we want it, with no worries about potential future legal actions.  I also consider it small repayment for all I get out of the game!

Edited by Abraxus
  • Thanks 1

If i see a post in Help “is there a GM online?” I usually take the time to respond “ i am NOT a GM. But what is your issue?”  A d sometimes one of us in Help (actually more often than not) are able to figure it out.  A couple times i have seen a response that is basically “ i am GM xyz, we are working on this”.  that shows how helpful active and interwoven our community is

thank you to all the volunteer GMs Devs, Creationeers and their support network. This game and this community rocks

• Thanks 2

First the obvious: Thanks to everyone who helps to run the game. I'm sure there's a huge amount of effort involved and I really appreciate it.

But... I've seen fan and volunteer efforts before. The goodwill and effort has a familiar feel. I've _never_ seen one this professional before. There have been a couple of server problems since I started playing and each time an announcement appeared within a few minutes to explain what was going on. There are very few services that I actually pay for that are this slick let alone volunteer efforts.

Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Gremlin said:

First the obvious: Thanks to everyone who helps to run the game. I'm sure there's a huge amount of effort involved and I really appreciate it.

But... I've seen fan and volunteer efforts before. The goodwill and effort has a familiar feel. I've _never_ seen one this professional before. There have been a couple of server problems since I started playing and each time an announcement appeared within a few minutes to explain what was going on. There are very few services that I actually pay for that are this slick let alone volunteer efforts.

Thanks.

You are absolutely right.  From the beginning, they have run this place almost as if it were the REAL deal, back in the days of live.  Professional, responsive, transparent as circumstances allow, and dedicated to providing improvements to the game we all love.  I believe this was done to illustrate that such a thing could be done, which obviously would be looked upon as a positive in their efforts for legitimization.  Act like a real/legal gaming organization, and it sure doesn't hurt your chances of it really happening someday soon.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later

I don't know which GM(s) happens to do it so quickly all the time, but a special thanks to whoever it is that monitors these forums at all hours of the day, and deal with unsolicited advertisement message floods, or shifting around threads in the wrong boards, or stickying user-generated content.

Your hard work is appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

To the Devs &  GMs (past, present, and future) you're the reason we're all here.

You're the reason we come back.

Thanks to everyone for all you do!!!

And be sure to donate.

Edited by Nemeroff
  • Like 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."