Sentinel Psychic Shockwave Damage

Pzn

I picked up the psi epic on my sentinel since it has some nice proc options.  The damage on psychic shockwave is pathetically low though.  It's base at level 50 is only ~30 damage compared to mind probe's 100 base damage.  It seems like it's doing about half the damage it was intended to, especially in comparison to the PBAoE on other ATs.  Has it always been this low?  It hits like a DoT aura.

No, he's right. it has a base of 31.86 unenhanced damage from details window. It's mildly compensated by a 16 target cap instead of 10, but it has the same baseline enhancements of all PBAEs and a middle-of-the-road cast time of 1.97s, but a very fast recharge of 20s. Every other PBAE in the Sent pool is running 36+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nihilii said:

Psy Shockwave does ~60 base damage, as far as I know. Perhaps you were fighting an enemy with 50% psi resistance, like a robot?

It's ~31 base damage in game.  Mid's has an incorrect value for it's damage.

• Like 1

My bad, I stand corrected. Used the power 9 months ago and I could swear it did 60 base...

...but then again, I also used Blazing Blast for months while its damage was bugged and never noticed a thing. Mids-implanted memory sounds more likely.

Man, that is bad. And here I was planning a build with it.

Edited by nihilii

39 minutes ago, nihilii said:

My bad, I stand corrected. Used the power 9 months ago and I could swear it did 60 base...

...but then again, I also used Blazing Blast for months while its damage was bugged and never noticed a thing. Mids-implanted memory sounds more likely.

Man, that is bad. And here I was planning a build with it.

Psi epic is still worth taking for Dominate, Mind Probe, and Link minds.  Dominate and mind probe are proc monsters with their base recharge and animation times.  Psychic shockwave is still decent even with it's low damage if you load it up with 5 procs.  At least it hits 16

It's how I felt when I took Fire Sword Circle and saw it do 48 damage. In WoW there is this cut-off number with AoE. Four mobs and up? AoE. Three mobs and down? You're better off doing ST and kill them one at a time.

With 48 damage I wonder the cut off, 'Up to 8 mobs use it, seven mobs and lower just ignore it and ST' 😄

• Haha 1

It's worth taking, but you need to proc it out. Put an Armageddon's if you can in that with other procs and it is tremendous. 

I can confirm that it does work well as a proc-monster, I use it on my fire/bio Sent.

Edited by 33053222

6 minutes ago, 33053222 said:

I can confirm that it does work well as a proc-monster, I use it on my fire/bio Sent.

It has baseline 50.7% proc chance on a 4.5PPM and a 39.45% chance on a 3.5PPM, with 4 damaging procs available, only one of which is an epic. Calling it a proc "monster" is a stretch by just about any measurement.

1 minute ago, underfyre said:

It has baseline 50.7% proc chance on a 4.5PPM and a 39.45% chance on a 3.5PPM, with 4 damaging procs available, only one of which is an epic. Calling it a proc "monster" is a stretch by just about any measurement.

I find it fairly consistent and well worth it, Inferno -> that -> fireball usually works really well for me and it really does make a pretty big difference, with as many procs as it can accept, at least one is typically bound to go off, the highest one does half the time, and usually at least one out of the other 3 will proc additionally (usually a little over 200 total for me with the -res in Inferno/additional buffs). With Sentinels, it feels quite nice honestly given they're not getting any kind of Scrapper PBAOEs or even Blaster for that matter and fireball damage is a little "meh" to begin with. 

19 minutes ago, underfyre said:

Your numbers seem off. 61.3% and 47.69%. You are not applying the 0.75x factor in your AreaMod numbers.

That equates to an additional +168.3 damage on average. Not bad for a power that only does 60.56 damage at base. That's like adding 277.9% damage enhancement into the power. So yes, it qualifies as a proc monster, especially as an AoE.

Edit: slotting an Armageddon damage and dam/end will turn it into 283.1 damage total, according to Mids. (I think that factors in the Sentinel inherent)

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

To be honest, I find Engulfing Darkness to be the real Proc Monster in Sentinel epics. My build should have it around 430 before Musculature 😁, and a 15 second recharge. Start every fight with that and Blackstar (540 damage), and shrug about the usual "Sentinels do low damage on teams" opinions. Dark Obliteration is a cute afterthought, heh.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:55 PM, Coyote said:

To be honest, I find Engulfing Darkness to be the real Proc Monster in Sentinel epics. My build should have it around 430 before Musculature 😁, and a 15 second recharge. Start every fight with that and Blackstar (540 damage), and shrug about the usual "Sentinels do low damage on teams" opinions. Dark Obliteration is a cute afterthought, heh.

Really? You think a terrible level 9 Necro spell is a "Proc Monster"??? https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=355

-- I sooooo stole that joke!

Edited by 33053222

• 1 month later